'20 AL DE Jimari Butler (Nebraska commit)

BJ is 6-3 220 lbs. Butler is 6-5 215 lbs. . Not much difference. Both need to add weight. Butler looks fast & hungry. Also has a bigger frame to add on to. Taller DE can knock down passes better.
The main concern for Butler is will he be able to keep his speed while he adds 30 to 40 lbs. This could probably take 2 to 3 years to do. At that point you are looking at a redshirt sophomore who has played 15 games of football in their life.

BJ is also going to have to add some weight but his brother has had no issue doing this at UGA.

Reactions: PA Vol
The main concern for Butler is will he be able to keep his speed while he adds 30 to 40 lbs. This could probably take 2 to 3 years to do. At that point you are looking at a redshirt sophomore who has played 15 games of football in their life.

BJ is also going to have to add some weight but his brother has had no issue doing this at UGA.
He’s 240 before midseason.

Chad Simmons said he’s planning on signing in December...nothing on his enrollment timeline. Groaner on this one is he’s still planning on visits to Nebraska, Maryland and others.
Hopefully the coaching staff can convince him to not take those trips

Reactions: butchna
As of right now, yes, he said he does plan to sign early...

On future visits, he said he planning to visit Ole Miss next weekend and he is still talking to Maryland, Nebraska and TCU about visits in the coming weeks.

He said he really likes the "vibe" at Tennessee and the "depth chart".
- Chad Simmons

This thread reminds me of the Roman Harrison thread last class. Unranked at first and everyone complaining about stars. Great athlete and measurables that Pruitt identified. Then once UT signs the recruiting services begin to evaluate film and rankings rise. Harrison ended up a 4 star.

This thread reminds me of the Roman Harrison thread last class. Unranked at first and everyone complaining about stars. Great athlete and measurables that Pruitt identified. Then once UT signs the recruiting services begin to evaluate film and rankings rise. Harrison ended up a 4 star.
Yep

Why is it that everyone talks about needing "big" fish, players that can come right in and compete, then when we land 2 low 3-stars back to back everyone says, "great pickup" "2-3 years this kid will be good." That doesn't help our program now. And if they are gonna be such great players why aren't big programs pursuing them.

I post 3-star U and people get but hurt. It's laughable. There are 3 star players that I have liked us taking, and 4 star players that I haven't really cared for much. My opinion isn't always going to be the same as everyone else's.

Ultimately I just want to win games and to win we have to start by winning recruiting battles against big schools not schools like SMU.

Okay, so what is your evaluation on Jimari Butler.?

What?
No.
He's already 220 without our SC program.
He's born with that quick twitch. Adding muscle is not going to make him slower.

He could contribute next year probably.
Some people don't understand...it didn't matter that this kid hadn't played football since 7th grade. He came in this season and dominated because he was always able too.

He's always been a good football player. And the basketball is a huge asset, because he's been doing explosive training.

This dude can be as good as he wants. Just God-given ability...

What?
No.
He's already 220 without our SC program.
He's born with that quick twitch. Adding muscle is not going to make him slower.

He could contribute next year probably.
Some people don't understand...it didn't matter that this kid hadn't played football since 7th grade. He came in this season and dominated because he was always able too.

He's always been a good football player. And the basketball is a huge asset, because he's been doing explosive training.

This dude can be as good as he wants. Just God-given ability...
You don't add 20lbs of muscle without losing a step in 3 months on campus. Also hrs listed as 215 and the majority of time players are lighter than they are listed. Looking at pictures which I understand is far from scientific he doesn't appear to be 220.

You don't add 20lbs of muscle without losing a step in 3 months on campus. Also hrs listed as 215 and the majority of time players are lighter than they are listed. Looking at pictures which I understand is far from scientific he doesn't appear to be 220.

His coach said he's 220 now.

I went from 210 to 235 Sumner before my freshman year. I was running a 4.62 at 210.
Ran a 4.53 at 235...

Body composition is more important than height/weight.

Jamal Lewis arrived at UT 225 lbs running a 4.47.
His NFL Combine he was 235 and 4.34...

So YES, people can and do add weight and don't lose speed.

Randy Moss was 6'4 195 lbs senior year and 4.46. Then he speed trained for the first time at FSU. He was then 6'4 202 and ran 4.18...

I remember the Roman Harrison thread being way worst because we took that commitment in summer. I think it was easier to see why we took him though because he looked the part and could jump out the gym which correlates to good explosiveness.

In Butler's case you can't argue against his ceiling and his high school production. On this board we generally put too much stock in how players do in recruiting camps before their senior year and enough in what players have actually accomplished on the field. There's a lot of talented players who don't have the resources to be attending these camps or they don't go to schools that know how to promote atheletes.

VN Store

Back