Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Welp! USF just took down Texas, 62-57. Perhaps one of the more beatable of the tough OOC opponents we'll be facing this season.

Harvard giving Cal a tough time in the final minute as well. Interesting season so far!

Reactions: NoBackBoard
Welp! USF just took down Texas, 62-57. Perhaps one of the more beatable of the tough OOC opponents we'll be facing this season.

Harvard giving Cal a tough time in the final minute as well. Interesting season so far!
The seat under Karen Aston just got a little hotter. Unless she can turn Texas around this season, she's got my vote as the first P5 wcbb coach to be shown the door.
As far as ND goes, I will be very disappointed if we don't beat them this coming Monday.
They have less experience than we do, they have NO bench and very little height. We should be able to dominate them on the boards. The only factors in their favor are, they're playing at home and they have a more experienced P5 coach.

Reactions: LVsinceJV

Yes and Cal gets Uconn next and next week Uconn plays at Vandy.

The seat under Karen Aston just got a little hotter. Unless she can turn Texas around this season, she's got my vote as the first P5 wcbb coach to be shown the door.
As far as ND goes, I will be very disappointed if we don't beat them this coming Monday.
They have less experience than we do, they have NO bench and very little height. We should be able to dominate them on the boards. The only factors in their favor are, they're playing at home and they have a more experienced P5 coach.
Karen Aston has ruined more talent than anyone in recent memory with the exception of maybe Holly. She’s a great recruiter but makes horrible in game decisions. Aeriel Atkins and Joyner Holmes both greatly underachieved under her. AA went to the WNBA and turned into the stud everyone knew she could be.

Arizona struggling in the third quarter against Santa Clara (of all freaking schools)!

Just to update, Harvard defeated Cal 56-53. And, while Notre Dame defeated Loyola, MD handily, 84-60, that was 31 points less than Massey predicted against a team that Massey had ranked lower than the Central Arkansas Sugar Bears. The Lady Vols game against Notre Dame could get interesting. Especially if the Lady Vols show a similar improvement to that which they showed between games 1 and 2.

Jim

Last edited:
UConn lineup in 2021:

1. Bueckers So Muhl So
2. WIlliams Sr Makurat Jr
3. Westbrook RS Sr(if she stays) Griffin Jr Poffenbarger Fr
4. Edwards So McClean So DeBerry Fr
5. Neslon-Ododa Sr. Gabriel So

Add Fudd to that mix and wow.
If UConn gets Fudd they will go on another long run of Natties!

Karen Aston has ruined more talent than anyone in recent memory with the exception of maybe Holly. She’s a great recruiter but makes horrible in game decisions. Aeriel Atkins and Joyner Holmes both greatly underachieved under her. AA went to the WNBA and turned into the stud everyone knew she could be.

I agree, she and Holly were the worst offenders. Both Atkins and Russell look like completely different players in the WNBA. Probably the two best examples of under utilized talent.

Her shot selection seems to have really improved. Everyone’s taking about Oregon, but I still think y’all are the team to beat this year. Got the defense and the offense running on all cylinders.

Oregon got the transfer from ND that was good her freshman year and got back some injured players I think they are the team to beat with the player to beat lol

Oregon got the transfer from ND that was good her freshman year and got back some injured players I think they are the team to beat with the player to beat lol

I think Oregon is going to be phenomenal again this season, but if they still have holes in their defense like last season I’ll still pick Baylor. Baylor has a superior interior game and an improved outside game. A team like Oregon will have a hard time with two players like Cox and DeGrate (she’s looked great and takes up a whole lotta room).

The ND transfer, Boley, is a massive defensive liability. Teams attacked and scored on her all season, her lateral movement is poor. The Sabally sisters are much better defenders so that will help having the younger one back I’m sure.

Everyone knows when it comes down to championships it’s all about the defense. You can manufacture points, but you can’t suddenly manufacture a better defense in the final game of the season.

Last edited:
I think Oregon is going to be phenomenal again this season, but if they still have holes in their defense like last season I’ll still pick Baylor. Baylor has a superior interior game and an improved outside game. A team like Oregon will have a hard time with two players like Cox and DeGrate (she’s looked great and takes up a whole lotta room).

The ND transfer, Boley, is a massive defensive liability. Teams attacked and scored on her all season, her lateral movement is poor. The Sabally sisters are much better defenders so that will help having the younger one back I’m sure.

Everyone knows when it comes down to championships it’s all about the defense. You can manufacture points, but you can’t suddenly manufacture a better defense in the final game of the season.

Yes but those interior presences are going to have to guard the perimeter... Satou Sabaly is starting to play in the post more but also shoots over 40% from 3.

I’m going with Oregon. I think Baylor will be a final four team though!

Yes but those interior presences are going to have to guard the perimeter... Satou Sabaly is starting to play in the post more but also shoots over 40% from 3.

I’m going with Oregon. I think Baylor will be a final four team though!

Cox proved last year she can guard inside and out.

I'm.prerry sure the younger Sabally is out this season. Even without her, I think Boley's offense and ability to stretch the defense will more than make up for her defensive weaknesses.

Reactions: NewDog
Cox proved last year she can guard inside and out.

Hopefully the rest of her team can too because Oregon got better while Baylor stayed pretty much the same or declined a little with the loss of Brown and that grad transfer.

I’m watching Florida State at LSU. The LSU guards are quick and play pesky defense. The team lacks size though and aren’t great rebounders. LSU up 17-15 after 1st quarter.

VN Store

Back