Beer barrel

Tall Paul actually released a CD of his most popular hits live from The Library that must have been recorded back in the 90s when I was there... It is so much fun to listen to Rocky Top with NO WOO.
It just rings around the stadium so much better without it, much more intimidating in my opinion. When did it start?

I never understood retiring the Beer Barrel and I don't understand it being retired now. Millions of people consume alcohol responsibly. If they wanted to pause it for one year because of the crash, then okay, I can relate to that. Maybe get on board. I'm not seeking to downplay the tragedy Kentucky's team endured because of the crash. But retiring a cherished rivalry symbol because some kids were irresponsible? Ridiculous then. Ridiculous now.

Too late now.

Players on the teams today wouldn't even get it , thats how long it's been gone.

It was great I always thought.

Remember the cannon in the open end of the stadium?

I DO remember the cannon at the base of the hill near the big UT, .. I have searched for photographs of it but have had no luck....

Didnt the Frat guys or ROTC guys, whoever used to fire the cannon over load it and blow the barrel out or something.... and thats why they did away with it ??? or so the some of the legends go... and alcohol may have been a contributing factor ??

Last edited:
Reactions: AM64
I DO remember the cannon at the base of the hill near the big UT, .. I have searched for photographs of it but have had no luck....

Didnt the Frat guys or ROTC guys, whoever used to fire the cannon over load it and blow the barrel out or something.... and thats why they did away with it ??? or so the some of the legends go... and alcohol may have been a contributing factor ??

I thought I remember the guys who actually fired the cannon were Army ROTC, but that was a long time ago. I don't know when and exactly why the cannon disappeared, but always assumed the addition of the bleachers and then the enclosing the stadium ended that part of history. I quit school in the spring of 1967 and enlisted in the Army and didn't return until 1972, so I just missed some of that history. Have to look into old yearbooks and some football programs that I kept.

Reactions: GulfCoasterVol
It just rings around the stadium so much better without it, much more intimidating in my opinion. When did it start?

I may be mistaken, but I remember the whoo starting about the time David Allan Coe sang "You never even call me by my name" and the crowds decided to participate and add crap to that song too. Late 70's early 80's?

I have a nephew currently in Army ROTC at UT. Maybe I will try to get him to plant the idea in his commander's head. I doubt the administration would say no to anything that draws attention to the ROTC program and our troops.

I was about to agree with that comment until you said PBR. That stuff is garbage. You might as well drink urine directly from the horse. I am not a beer snob though and am good with a Miller lite on draft but keeping it local would help the small local breweries. Just trying to keep the money here.

Can they just call it the keg barrel game and bring it out of retirement? Heck for all we know it could be root beer or odouls

I was about to agree with that comment until you said PBR. That stuff is garbage. You might as well drink urine directly from the horse. I am not a beer snob though and am good with a Miller lite on draft but keeping it local would help the small local breweries. Just trying to keep the money here.
Icehouse!

I agree. That Smokey Howl is definitely the dumbest thing that has ever been introduced into UT sports, probably all of college sports.
I guess you never heard the rooster crowing at Souf Cackalacky.

You said PBR is horse piss and then said you’re not a beer snob and Miller Light on draft is ok.

I guess you never heard the rooster crowing at Souf Cackalacky.

Yes, I have heard the rooster crow, but that is no where as bad as grown adults throwing their heads back and trying to howl like a dog. Again, GROWN ADULTS.....beyond ridiculous!

Yes, I have heard the rooster crow, but that is no where as bad as grown adults throwing their heads back and trying to howl like a dog. Again, GROWN ADULTS.....beyond ridiculous!
Dude relax let your hair down have fun be crazy. Have you seen the dog pound there is all kind of crazy fun stuff in football.

I have a nephew currently in Army ROTC at UT. Maybe I will try to get him to plant the idea in his commander's head. I doubt the administration would say no to anything that draws attention to the ROTC program and our troops.

I'd second that idea, but it might be a hard sell these days. An official in Maine was hit in the head "from cannon fire" at a football game. It would had to have been wadding used to tamp the powder into place ... similar to what is used in blanks. Now I'm not saying anything about who fired it, but I do know a guy was hit by a blank during night training when I was in Infantry AIT. He was pretty surprised by the whole thing ... apparently they didn't warn the guys they chose to infiltrate from behind the lines that it could be risky business. I've thought over the years how dangerous it would have been without eye protection.

VN Store

Back