Something rotten w/ DL recruiting

A freshman RB would be 4th string at best unless we brought in an elite talent like Zach Evans. Chandler, and Jordan are both Seniors and Gray will be a sophomore.

There’s no opportunity for any freshman to start at tackle the next 2 seasons barring a major injury. It’s gonna be hard to pull any elite player there no matter how much we win. We’re pulling in a ton of talent on the interior line already. If Trey comes back and Kennedy gets a 6th year that'll be major

LB does need serious help, Both inside and outside. Thankfully we’re in prime position to land some quality guys there.

We’ve landed 2 really good receivers in Hyatt and Calloway, and are in a good spot for TJB. We probably take a transfer there depending on who goes into the portal.
Didn't we just land commitments from 2 4-star LBs and their 3-star teammate from Memphis just a couple of weeks ago?

Reactions: FïreBall
Not picking on you but I’ve heard “We’ll be fine” for a decade. We’ve also been right at .500 winning for a decade, too. I don’t think that’s fine.
I didn’t think it was fine under Dooley.... not under Butch.... I think this staff is different and will slowly build us back to where we want to be.... you can’t put past failings on the current staff.

Reactions: Pride85
Yes but we need more. Need about 5 LBs in this class and a transfer.
So two more out of the nine remaining slots. I think they have an ATH that might fit the bill for one more. I just don't think that warrants that we need serious help.

Losing Hardy today to Auburn - and Ojulari decommitting two weeks ago for LSU - will have an impact on the team going forward next year. We need DL (especially DE’s), but can’t seem to land any top tier players. What is Rocker’s perception as a recruiter? With immediate playing time to offer, why are we having such a hard time with the DL?

It's well documented he's not great recruiter and uga lost out on 5 star DT and couple others and they let him go. He a heck of coach when comes to developing players as you can see. Yes done great job with mid level talent

Reactions: CA_Vol
A freshman RB would be 4th string at best unless we brought in an elite talent like Zach Evans. Chandler, and Jordan are both Seniors and Gray will be a sophomore.

There’s no opportunity for any freshman to start at tackle the next 2 seasons barring a major injury. It’s gonna be hard to pull any elite player there no matter how much we win. We’re pulling in a ton of talent on the interior line already. If Trey comes back and Kennedy gets a 6th year that'll be major

LB does need serious help, Both inside and outside. Thankfully we’re in prime position to land some quality guys there.

We’ve landed 2 really good receivers in Hyatt and Calloway, and are in a good spot for TJB. We probably take a transfer there depending on who goes into the portal.

Yes a RB could absolutely be in the rotation
Yes O lineman could be in the rotation
Yes WR could be in the rotation
Yes D lineman could be in the rotation.
We need a number of LB and D backfield.
All you have to do is look at the OL right now and see how thin we are going into the KY game and you are saying there isn't a place for OL to be in 2 man rotation next year.

No true defensive ends in this class. These coaches suck at recruiting pass rushers!

That is all. Just needed to vent.
Oh dear, I guess they just shouldn't try any more. I may be wrong, and someone will correct me if I am, but I believe the strategy for recruiting 3-4 Outside linemen is to take an athletic 4-3 DT and move them to an outside spot. The outside pass rush tends to come from the Jack LB. The linemen's primary responsibility is to take on the OL and keep the LBs clean.

Reactions: bigdaddyh
So two more out of the nine remaining slots. I think they have an ATH that might fit the bill for one more. I just don't think that warrants that we need serious help.
I worry about Crouch. What is going to be his position going forward. Kid just doesn't want to be RB but I don't know about how he is improving at the spot he is playing this year.

There's no position group where we've missed on more big targets than DL. Rocker is a great coach, but I have to think the criticism of him "not being a recruiter" is accurate. It's uncanny how many times we've missed on DLs. We've hit several big targets at every other position; albeit there are some positions we still need to step up our game, but the track record on DL recruiting is insanely bad in the past 2 years, particularly compared with Pruitt's other recruiting.

Needs top 5 class IMO. Staff is developing players. Got to recruit at a high level or we will stay excited beating UK and Vandy every year barely making a bowl. Bama game was proof talent helps coaching

You haven't beaten Ky this year yet. They are going to be a load to handle. Our OL is going into the game limping and our QB situation is going to have to be the best yet. Morris nor Wright will be playing. Our running game has been non existent this year for the most part. KY had a week off and this is not the same KY of years ago.

I worry about Crouch. What is going to be his position going forward. Kid just doesn't want to be RB but I don't know about how he is improving at the spot he is playing this year.
Moved to inside LB but not going to play over Bituli or To'oto'o, I think unless we pull a miracle and land Sewell he starts next year opposite of To'oto'o

He was involved in quite a few plays against UAB. The mental aspect of D-1 level LB has been a bit harder as he can't rely just on physical talent to succeed. Remember, he is a true freshman, and not all freshmen can handle things like Henry T on defense. I am more interested in seeing if JJ Peterson can figure it out sooner than later. He has a year on Crouch, and still way behind on skill level.

You haven't beaten Ky this year yet. They are going to be a load to handle. Our OL is going into the game limping and our QB situation is going to have to be the best yet. Morris nor Wright will be playing. Our running game has been non existent this year for the most part. KY had a week off and this is not the same KY of years ago.
Load to handle lol they start a WR at QB, stop the run and you win the game, and considering we've only given up more than 4 YPA on runs to 3 teams this year, I think we can do that

Moved to inside LB but not going to play over Bituli or To'oto'o, I think unless we pull a miracle and land Sewell he starts next year opposite of To'oto'o
Man I hope you are right. I love this kid and hope the very best for him. He's really going to have to come on though.

He was involved in quite a few plays against UAB. The mental aspect of D-1 level LB has been a bit harder as he can't rely just on physical talent to succeed. Remember, he is a true freshman, and not all freshmen can handle things like Henry T on defense. I am more interested in seeing if JJ Peterson can figure it out sooner than later. He has a year on Crouch, and still way behind on skill level.
I just posted about Crouch. I love this kid and hoping the best for him. I can see in his play that you are right about him and I hope he takes to the position. He has the body for it. As far as JJ Peterson goes I saw him in the game he did play and and the kid was moving around really well. Laid a lick on someone and seemed to cover pretty well so I just don't know what is going on there. If the light comes on for him it will be a huge benefit for the team.

Man I hope you are right. I love this kid and hope the very best for him. He's really going to have to come on though.
Ehh he's got 22 tackles and a half TFL, he'll be fine, he has a positive mindset (as seen by his postgame interview a couple weeks back) and has all the physical tools. He's just got to the get comfortable with alignments and assignments at ILB and he'll be a good one. Not all Freshman are ready to be All-Americans year 1

Load to handle lol they start a WR at QB, stop the run and you win the game, and considering we've only given up more than 4 YPA on runs to 3 teams this year, I think we can do that
I'm not sure but what their QB will start this Saturday. They had a bye week last week. Their nose guard is awesome if he is healthy. Awesome. We have to have a run game. Expect blitzing on a regular basis from them.
Fill the gaps, shoot the gaps on blitz filling the running gaps their way to our QB. They know our OL is hurting and 2 starters out.

I'm not sure but what their QB will start this Saturday. They had a bye week last week. Their nose guard is awesome if he is healthy. Awesome. We have to have a run game. Expect blitzing on a regular basis from them.
Fill the gaps, shoot the gaps on blitz filling the running gaps their way to our QB. They know our OL is hurting and 2 starters out.
We trashed them last year when they had Josh Allen and our OL was putrid, I'm not worried by their pass rush

i don’t think you can reasonably say that we can offer immediate playing time to
Freshman defensive lineman when we
Bring back are entire defensive line next year. We’re gonna be loaded next year so these kids realize that and it affects their decision.
Good to hear. Who will be our starting DE’s?

I know I’m probably being dramatic with this, but losing those two could be the difference between being 9-3 or 11-1 in a couple years. Just think about how different Florida’s defense is with and without Zuninga and Greenard.
I completely agree. If you can’t pressure the QB in the SEC, you have a very hard time beating the top teams. While we may have some talent returning on the interior, I can’t even name who our starting DE’s will be next year.

Bottom line is no matter how good a position coach is if they suck at recruiting they need to be replaced. Recruiting is the life blood of a program especially one down on talent and behind their peers right now. Idk if you can lay blame on Rocker or Sherrer or not but we’ve struggled in Dline recruiting. Have to make a change if someone is lagging behind.

Reactions: Catbone
i don’t think you can reasonably say that we can offer immediate playing time to
Freshman defensive lineman when we
Bring back are entire defensive line next year. We’re gonna be loaded next year so these kids realize that and it affects their decision.
Loaded? 😂 Yeah we can offer immediate playing time. I would go as far to say if these kids were on campus right now they would be seeing snaps.

I am still amazed by the miserable minority group. The absolute obsession with finding something to complain/whine about is unbelievable. No one on this board knows what is actually taking place in recruiting. We still only have 16 recruits, meaning we have NINE more slots to fill. There are more teams ahead of us with full classes than not, so we will move up. That is even if we fill the rest of the class with 3-stars. I do not believe that will be the case.
I just want to clarify something on recruiting numbers......a SEC school can sign up to 25 recruits per year IF they have the room. I don't know if we have the room, so our class can be less than 25. On the other hand it could be more than 25. How?.....early enrollees count toward last year's class. For instance last year Bama, TxAM, and Ole Miss signed more than 25 players. Last year we had 10 early enrollees (January enrollment). I don't know when the transfers get counted. The timing of when a signee enrolls definitely matters when it comes to counting towards the 85 cap. Coaches from all teams play it close to the vest when talking about scholarship numbers just like they do with injuries so as not to give the competition information that can be used against them.

Basically what I'm getting at is we won't know the size of the class until it's done. It could be 22, it could 27, it could be 29, who knows? We won't know until it's done. I think a range of 23-28 is about right.

VN Store

Back