Something rotten w/ DL recruiting

CA_Vol

Losing Hardy today to Auburn - and Ojulari decommitting two weeks ago for LSU - will have an impact on the team going forward next year. We need DL (especially DE’s), but can’t seem to land any top tier players. What is Rocker’s perception as a recruiter? With immediate playing time to offer, why are we having such a hard time with the DL?

For the sake of his job Pruitt must evaluate and make changes. He won’t win without elite talent.

As for that, Tee Martin hasn’t exactly been lighting it up on the trail either. At some point, these guys have to earn their check. As it stands now.. they’re not cutting it on or off the field, save Nieds.

I agree with op. Not only can we offer immediate playing time but also Pruitt has an incredible track record when it comes to working with outside linebackers and defensive ends. He’s helped get a ton of them drafted. Why can we not land several good ones especially when they are right in our back yard I have no idea. But I agree whoever is in charge of this position group needs to be fired.

Losing Hardy today to Auburn - and Ojulari decommitting two weeks ago for LSU - will have an impact on the team going forward next year. We need DL (especially DE’s), but can’t seem to land any top tier players. What is Rocker’s perception as a recruiter? With immediate playing time to offer, why are we having such a hard time with the DL?
I'm afraid it's all a function of our record and the general perception of where we stand vis a vis other SEC teams.

Kirby fired Rocker because of his recruiting or rather his lack thereof.

These guys were good recruiters at Ala, Ga, FSU, USC, ect. After signing day last year, Pruitt said we wouldn't be that low again, I think he said top 5 or top three. It is much easier to recruit for a 9-3 or better team than a 6-6 team regardless of who the recruiters are. Last year I thought Pruitt didn't recruit instate near enough and this may be a problem this year because of long term relationships. Tenn has had a decade long issue with recruiting DL however that is probably one of the position groups most needed to be elite in today's game of passing offenses.

Yeah I got run off the site for questioning recruiting. It’s obvious we are struggling.

Pruitt-It’s easy to be a top recruiter at Alabama. Hell, any of us probably could be...look at these rings son, you wanna play for the best?

It’s a catch 22, need better recruits to win, can’t get good recruits without winning. Takes a special coach to jump start a struggling program.

Yeah I got run off the site for questioning recruiting. It’s obvious we are struggling.

Pruitt-It’s easy to be a top recruiter at Alabama. Hell, any of us probably could be...look at these rings son, you wanna play for the best?

It’s a catch 22, need better recruits to win, can’t get good recruits without winning. Takes a special coach to jump start a struggling program.

I remain hopeful though. Really do

I agree with op. Not only can we offer immediate playing time but also Pruitt has an incredible track record when it comes to working with outside linebackers and defensive ends. He’s helped get a ton of them drafted. Why can we not land several good ones especially when they are right in our back yard I have no idea. But I agree whoever is in charge of this position group needs to be fired.

A name and a word, "Cam Newton treatment."

It's easy to look at Coach Rocker and think it's his fault ... personally I do not ... but watch him get fired and then go to Vanderbilt and have a top defense.
Reason why I mention him getting fired is not cuz I wish that on any man, but because Jeremy Pruitt made himself very clear that those that did not pull their weight in recruiting specifically would be shown the door, and it dont matter who you are cuz everybody loved Coach Fair
Recruiting season ain't over just yet and he still has time to put something together. I hope he does

Reactions: Tallman and Alto1
Shocked to lose Hardy and continue to be concerned regarding Baron but actually Im not sure that we can now offer immediate playing time in 2020 as, thanks to the development of Soloman, Emerson and Middleton who are all hopefully coming back next year as well as Gooden.
Yes, but none of those guys are edge rushers. With DT graduating this year, we really don’t gave any proven DEs and need some badly.

Reactions: bpalmer28

VN Store

Back