Look at us now compared to other programs in the same situation

Scott Frost is a brilliant young coach who is at the mercy of a program who has a very hard time recruiting top players...They are clearly in the wrong conference as well....Chip Kellys UCLA team has won 3 in a row and the offense rolling like a machine...Scott Morris sucks...Period...Only team on your list we are ahead of at this point is Arkansas...We are about even with Nebraska...UCLA is better than us.

We are better than Nebraska, UCLA and obviously Arkansas, throw FSU into that mix as well. I wouldn’t trade places with any of their situations . How the hell do you think UCLA is better than us?

We are better than Nebraska, UCLA and obviously Arkansas, throw FSU into that mix as well. I wouldn’t trade places with any of their situations . How the hell do you think UCLA is better than us?
I might trade places with FSU. They 1) are not all far removed from a highly successful period (less damage to their than us) and 2) appear to be more coordinated and functional at an administrative level. They made some phone calls and raised $20m for a buyout really quickly. I could never imagine Tennessee being able to do that. Also, if they hire the right guy, they really only have to worry about Clemson in the ACC.

Those others, no, not even close. Especially UCLA and Arkansas, and Nebraska is in the wrong conference.

Pruitt has a teaching mentality. He’s getting these guys ready for great football at this and the next level. Particularly the dbacks. People and players are starting to see and take notice. A LOT of positive momentum around the program right now, especially defensively. I once said before the usce game I think they will lose until they prove me wrong. They proved me wrong. And I saw them live in person and saw how well the defense communicates. They are so in tune now. I now say, I think they will win until they prove me otherwise. This team is growing into something special, and AFTER WE PUT THAT BEATDOWN ON KY THIS WEEKEND, maybe people outside of Knoxville will start to put some respect back on the name again. If not, we will force them to.

I'd describe it more as doing your due diligence instead of conducting a "talent search." That's perfectly fine to know what you're looking for before you get started, or have particular coaches in mind. But as an AD, you just aren't really doing your job if you don't kick over rocks and consider multiple options before making a decision.

The "process" Currie conducted was a joke. There was no due diligence and I don't think he knew what he was looking for on top of that. He had one target, whiffed on said target, then went to a fallback option that he knew with certainty would be there if he missed on his intended target. There was no real plan or idea of what to look for in any of that.

I think it's worthwhile to have someone outside perform something similar to a security clearance for prospective coaches to avoid nasty character surprises, but generally people in a profession can pretty well look at the body of work of others in his profession and know who to trust and who to avoid. From that perspective I'd take a good coach's perspective over anyone else in picking a new coach. Currie, Hart, and Hamilton had the wrong credentials for picking coaches, and all three proved it in spades. It seems like Hamilton and Hart used search agencies ... for all the good that did. I'd also say that when considering the competition, a coach likely to work best in several other conferences wouldn't be the best pick for an SEC team and vice versa.

If Pruitt can find the right quarterback I think we will become a dangerous program once again. I back his ability to have us playing consistently good defense. People should consider that a lot of our defenses mistakes have been because the offense has at times really left them in horrible positions, particularly earlier in the season

Reactions: AM64
I might trade places with FSU. They 1) are not all far removed from a highly successful period (less damage to their than us) and 2) appear to be more coordinated and functional at an administrative level. They made some phone calls and raised $20m for a buyout really quickly. I could never imagine Tennessee being able to do that. Also, if they hire the right guy, they really only have to worry about Clemson in the ACC.

Those others, no, not even close. Especially UCLA and Arkansas, and Nebraska is in the wrong conference.
I was meaning currently with FSU, as in right as I type this, but you’re right . They are one good coach away from having a 2 game season to a playoff appearance.

Reactions: 08Vol

FSU fans are shite though, they can hardly fill an 80k stadium to hits halfway point. And it's not like they've been through 15 years of crap like us. They won a national title and came close to playing for another a few years ago

The bad thing is, I think Mullen was coming to UT if the FL job had not opened up all of a sudden. I am not sure if I am happy or not. I think Mullen is a great coach, anyone who can take Miss St to #1 can't be a lousy coach. But eventually Pruitt and staff may become as good or better. Only time will tell.
the other thing about Mullen...........if he came to UT, he would of probably left early if the Florida job came available again.

Reactions: VolinMC
What a moronic post - leaving out Dan Mullen, who has UF in the top 15/National conversation for yet another year. I like what Pruitt has done to improve this year but wow this is a stretch

Mullen is another Mark Richt, but not as good of a recruiter. Florida will be good under him, but I very seriously doubt that they ever win a national title with Mullen. JMO

That is debatable. Difference between us and South Carolina is that South Carolina has always been a mid tier program. If Muschamp can just win 6 to 8 games a year, take them to a bowl, and sometimes have the occasional 9 plus win season the fans there will be content.

I DO NOT LIKE Muschamp!! However, when you play the schedule he had this year while losing his 1st Team QB. he has done a great job of coaching. He beat Georgia, and outplayed Fla, and would have won, had it not been for the officiating. They played #1 Bama, #2 Georgia, #6 Fla and still have
#4 Clemson to go. I sure don't feel sorry him, but I do tip my hat.

How the hell do you figure they are not?!?...Who have we beaten?...Every team we have beaten sucks...Miss St is terrible, Chattanooga?...Really?...South Carolina has a worse record than us..UAB had a good record against bad teams so if you want to go out and celebrate that then go for it...UCLA has won 3 in a row and beaten Colorado, Stanford, a good Arizona St team and Washington St...Quality teams... And they are getting better...they need a defense in the worse way but offensively they are really good and fast...You don't watch a lot of football do you?...It shows

I didnt want either of the Scotts but I thought Kelly would be a home-run. I still think Kelly is good. And I think Frost may turn Nebraska around. But he certainly hasn't lived up to the hype thus far. I think it was foolish for FSU to fire Taggart after a season and a half. They still owe him 15-20 mil and they have to start all over. I think you should give a guy 3-4 years unless there is something going on that isnt football-field related - something illegal or unethical. Then you fire for cause and you dont owe 20 mil.

But I agree with the overall point. I think CJP is every bit as good as the Scotts and may end up being better the Kelly.
People don't realize how much money there is in college football. Assume Doak seats 80k, 7 home dates a year, that is 560,000 seats to sell. Assume they average $50 each, That is $28,000,000. Literally 1 season of football covers the buyout and that's before you look at other revenue. The mistake wasn't firing him, the mistake was hiring him in the first place.

Reactions: 08Vol and AM64
Mullen doesn't lose to Georgia State lol.

It doesn't matter his worth per say. And just to clarify, you would rather gone cheap like we did with Pruitt than maybe overpaying for Mullen + Grantham and avoiding the Schiano Sunday and Admin fallout?
You’re talking a whole lot for someone who can’t spell per se or use it correctly in a sentence

What a moronic post - leaving out Dan Mullen, who has UF in the top 15/National conversation for yet another year. I like what Pruitt has done to improve this year but wow this is a stretch
Talking about a moronic post, Mullen walked into a team with talent that was at least 2 years ahead of us.

Scott Frost is a brilliant young coach who is at the mercy of a program who has a very hard time recruiting top players...They are clearly in the wrong conference as well....Chip Kellys UCLA team has won 3 in a row and the offense rolling like a machine...Scott Morris sucks...Period...Only team on your list we are ahead of at this point is Arkansas...We are about even with Nebraska...UCLA is better than us.
I think people are sleeping on how good our defense is playing

I was thrilled by the Administrative fallout following Schiano Sunday. Good riddance Currie...Welcome back CPF!

How the hell do you figure they are not?!?...Who have we beaten?...Every team we have beaten sucks...Miss St is terrible, Chattanooga?...Really?...South Carolina has a worse record than us..UAB had a good record against bad teams so if you want to go out and celebrate that then go for it...UCLA has won 3 in a row and beaten Colorado, Stanford, a good Arizona St team and Washington St...Quality teams... And they are getting better...they need a defense in the worse way but offensively they are really good and fast...You don't watch a lot of football do you?...It shows
You are high.

I think people are sleeping on how good our defense is playing

Everybody seems to want to play down the importance of the defense - especially in some other conferences. The fact is that defense is the most important aspect of the game - offense can only score and sometimes control the flow of the game by time of possession. but defense can stop the other team from putting points on the board, and defense can score. The shame is that the rules people keep changing things to favor the offense.

Reactions: SalVolinus

Nope I’m not even going to. It’s just too easy.

Reactions: SalVolinus
The problem with you notion is that Dan Mullen was never a serious candidate here. It was clear that Tennessee and Florida would have job openings at the same time. Tennessee has a track record of not making big cash offers to coaches so Mullen was never a chance to come here just like Chip Kelly was never a serious chance to go to Florida.

The problem with the whole search is that Currie didn't give Mullen an offer that would prevent Mullen from waiting out Florida.

I personally had Mullen on my first second and third spot for next coach I wanted. But the problem is we didn't pony up and give him the "offer he couldn't refuse"
Mullen chokes in big games man

The revisionist history regarding the state of the Florida program when Mullen was hired is astounding. They had more coaching turnover than we did, had fired a coach with less than 3 years on the job who was in a bizarre fake death threat scandal, had lower ranked recruiting classes in the years leading up to his hire and also had a 4 win season the year before.. Mullen is just a really really good coach who didn't need on the job training to get Florida ready to play in an ultra weak SEC East at a time when Miami and FSU also stink. No clue why so many here refuse to admit he is good and has been outstanding at UF in the face of what he inherited.

UCLA currently has the same record as Tennessee. Their non- conference schedule also had games at Cincinnati, home against San Diego St, and home against Oklahoma. All three of those teams have only lost one game. He's turning it around there.

Frost took over a mess that was Mike Riley left. Riley had no business coaching Nebraska. With that said. They are 4-5. Same record as Tennessee.

Chad Morris took over an even worse program than what Pruitt, Kelly, and Frost took over.

You know I'm really beginning to wonder how much some of you in this group really follow college football outside of our Vols.
Lol Arkansas in worse shape than what Pruitt inherited?

VN Store

Back