Look at us now compared to other programs in the same situation

What a moronic post - leaving out Dan Mullen, who has UF in the top 15/National conversation for yet another year. I like what Pruitt has done to improve this year but wow this is a stretch

The problem with you notion is that Dan Mullen was never a serious candidate here. It was clear that Tennessee and Florida would have job openings at the same time. Tennessee has a track record of not making big cash offers to coaches so Mullen was never a chance to come here just like Chip Kelly was never a serious chance to go to Florida.

The problem with the whole search is that Currie didn't give Mullen an offer that would prevent Mullen from waiting out Florida.

I personally had Mullen on my first second and third spot for next coach I wanted. But the problem is we didn't pony up and give him the "offer he couldn't refuse"

While I agree, I'd also point out that all those situations were huge rebuilding jobs; some even bigger than ours.

Nebraska is a much tougher job in general. It's so difficult to recruit out there. I honestly feel like Frost had a better chance of winning a national title at UCF, but he took the Nebraska job out of home-state pride (and the salary increase, but mostly the former).

Chip Kelly has actually been surprisingly good as this season has gone on, winning 4 out of his last 6, but his recruiting is still abysmal. I don't think he'll ever get back to "Oregon levels" given this.

Chad Morris has always had a 4-5 year rebuild in front of him. The problem is that Morris' offense may as well be the exact opposite of Bielema's. So a lot of the players on that roster are really playing in a completely mismatched scheme. Similar to the situation at Georgia Tech.

I think, in general, fans are underestimating how long it takes to rebuild in the modern game. Scholarship limits have made it much more difficult to turn things around quickly. The 2-year turnaround job just doesn't happen unless someone inherits an already stacked roster.

I believe Pruitt is improving and Pruitt was smart to surround himself with a great staff that helps also having Fulmer helps.

Well, its not like UT Fans are the most patient lot =\ including me. To our defense, the last 12 years have been pretty fudged up, and CJP is the "type" of coach any SEC team needs to be competitive. Media might not like him, but who cares? all that matters is that he is showing progress............HOWEVER.......we need more Jimmy and Joes, and any recruits on the fence about UT needs to commit and get some real tough love and great coaching. The SEC is BIG BOY football and if you want to go to THE LEAGUE......how do you think it would look if you help a school like Tennessee to beat Bama, Georgia and Florida? scouts will take notice, but if you want to be just part of the crowd..........then you don't know how to push yourself to greatness...............mic drop.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
I personally had Mullen on my first second and third spot for next coach I wanted. But the problem is we didn't pony up and give him the "offer he couldn't refuse"

I, too, had Gruden Mullen as my first, second and third choice.

Reactions: Volatility
Tennessee's situation is better than South Carolina's with Will Muschamp
That is debatable. Difference between us and South Carolina is that South Carolina has always been a mid tier program. If Muschamp can just win 6 to 8 games a year, take them to a bowl, and sometimes have the occasional 9 plus win season the fans there will be content.

I remember during the time that we hired Jeremy Pruitt, that there were several big name candidates that we wanted and Jeremy Pruit at the time seemed like a consolation prize. Let's see how the other big name coaches are doing:

Scott Frost - he started out bad and his program at this point is nowhere close to what they had envisioned
Chip Kelly - his offense it now outdated
Scott Morris - Arkansas still has not won a SEC game

I would say that we made a pretty good decision in who we hired
UCLA seems to be on the upswing with 3 straight wins vs Stanford, Arizona State, and Colorado though there next few could be tough. Similar trajectory as the Vols. His offense is outdated? I disagree. He is one of the major influences in what most teams are running in College these days. It looks like it took his team awhile to buy in... He and Pruitt are doing it differently but seem to be on the same trajectory. In the end I would rather hang my hat on defense rather than offense so I prefer Pruitt over Chip at this point...

The problem for all of these guys is that it is just really hard to rebuild a program that plays in a tough conference. No one is going to slow down and let others catch up. Florida wasn't a rebuild so it doesn't compare with the other examples. Mullen had lots of players but he has done a nice job. It will take more time to rebuild Tennessee than any of us want it to take but with our strong fan base and resources, I like our chances more than the other examples given.

The problem with you notion is that Dan Mullen was never a serious candidate here. It was clear that Tennessee and Florida would have job openings at the same time. Tennessee has a track record of not making big cash offers to coaches so Mullen was never a chance to come here just like Chip Kelly was never a serious chance to go to Florida.

The problem with the whole search is that Currie didn't give Mullen an offer that would prevent Mullen from waiting out Florida.

Mullen was always going to wait out Florida no matter Currie's offer, even if Tennessee had fired Butch before Florida fired McElwain. Florida is the better job and Mullen was the OC there during the Urban glory years. Tennessee had absolutely no shot at landing him once the Florida job opened up and Kelly went to UCLA.

Scott Frost is a brilliant young coach who is at the mercy of a program who has a very hard time recruiting top players...They are clearly in the wrong conference as well....Chip Kellys UCLA team has won 3 in a row and the offense rolling like a machine...Scott Morris sucks...Period...Only team on your list we are ahead of at this point is Arkansas...We are about even with Nebraska...UCLA is better than us.
Lol ucla is not better than us ... cmon man be real

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Mullen was always going to wait out Florida no matter Currie's offer, even if Tennessee had fired Butch before Florida fired McElwain. Florida is the better job and Mullen was the OC there during the Urban glory years. Tennessee had absolutely no shot at landing him once the Florida job opened up and Kelly went to UCLA.

Yeah because Currie didn't offer him a big deal on the requirement he can't wait out Florida. Had Currie ponied up 8-9 million and told Mullen he had 24 hours to make a decision, we likely get Mullen. At the very least, UF has to match it.

Sure Currie didn't expect Schiano Sunday to go down, but it wasn't very hard to figure out how to land Mullen. The answer was and is really simple. CASH.....

Give him an offer that doesn't let him wait out our rival for. Because I tell you this, I and a lot of others would have gladly taken Mullen at 8-9 million per year than see the crap show that went on after Schiano.

Yeah because Currie didn't offer him a big deal on the requirement he can't wait out Florida. Had Currie ponied up 8-9 million and told Mullen he had 24 hours to make a decision, we likely get Mullen. At the very least, UF has to match it.

Sure Currie didn't expect Schiano Sunday to go down, but it wasn't very hard to figure out how to land Mullen. The answer was and is really simple. CASH.....

Give him an offer that doesn't let him wait out our rival for. Because I tell you this, I and a lot of others would have gladly taken Mullen at 8-9 million per year than see the crap show that went on after Schiano.
Mullen is nowhere near worth $8-9m per year. I mean geez, Florida is only paying him $6m.

If Currie offered Mullen $8.5m/year, many on this board would have melted down, and he likely wouldn't have been any better than Pruitt through 1.5 years.

That is debatable. Difference between us and South Carolina is that South Carolina has always been a mid tier program. If Muschamp can just win 6 to 8 games a year, take them to a bowl, and sometimes have the occasional 9 plus win season the fans there will be content.
You may want to check with some of their fans. The ones I know in Charlotte NC have expectations for more than 6-8 wins per season.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

You are totally ignoring the fact that Mullen wanted to go to Florida. He calls it home.

I remember during the time that we hired Jeremy Pruitt, that there were several big name candidates that we wanted and Jeremy Pruit at the time seemed like a consolation prize. Let's see how the other big name coaches are doing:

Scott Frost - he started out bad and his program at this point is nowhere close to what they had envisioned
Chip Kelly - his offense it now outdated
Scott Morris - Arkansas still has not won a SEC game

I would say that we made a pretty good decision in who we hired
Well we're definitely getting a bargain compared to UCLA and Nebraska

UCLA currently has the same record as Tennessee. Their non- conference schedule also had games at Cincinnati, home against San Diego St, and home against Oklahoma. All three of those teams have only lost one game. He's turning it around there.

Frost took over a mess that was Mike Riley left. Riley had no business coaching Nebraska. With that said. They are 4-5. Same record as Tennessee.

Chad Morris took over an even worse program than what Pruitt, Kelly, and Frost took over.

You know I'm really beginning to wonder how much some of you in this group really follow college football outside of our Vols.

Don't be confusing us with facts, we deal in the weird and unexplained on this board.

Mullen is nowhere near worth $8-9m per year. I mean geez, Florida is only paying him $6m.

If Currie offered Mullen $8.5m/year, many on this board would have melted down, and he likely wouldn't have been any better than Pruitt through 1.5 years.

Mullen doesn't lose to Georgia State lol.

It doesn't matter his worth per say. And just to clarify, you would rather gone cheap like we did with Pruitt than maybe overpaying for Mullen + Grantham and avoiding the Schiano Sunday and Admin fallout?

You are totally ignoring the fact that Mullen wanted to go to Florida. He calls it home.

He never talks to Tennessee if he was deadset on Florida.

And at the end of the day, Tennessee's pursuit of Mullen was cheap. He was going to end up in the SEC East. We just insured it happening not with us by being cheap.

1. Mullen inherited a great program that was in much better shape than UT. And Mullen was smart enough to hire a GREAT DC.
KUDOS to Florida and Mullen. However, it appears that Mullen was definitely playing the WRONG QB at Florida.
I think they look like a much better offensive team with TRASK.

2. Kelly...His offense ranks 8th out of 12 in his conference in points scored per game; 7th in yards per game.
Kelly's defense is 9th in his conference in points/game allowed.
He has beaten WSU, Stanford, Colorado, and Arizona State.

3. Morris' situation at Arky may have actually been worse than ours--that thought blows my mind.

4. Scott Frost. IMO--Nebraska's program is a good comparison to UT's...I don't think it's a tougher place to recruit than UT.
Nebraska's athletic administration seems to be suffering a "Post-Osborne" type of syndrome like Bama did after the Bear retired.
Frank Solich did nothing but win there--averaging 9+ wins/season over 6 years....had trouble beating ranked teams....
Bo Pelini won there---recruited well---averaged 9+ wins/season over 7 years....had trouble with profanity and his temper--and with folks recording his tirades.
However, he was prophetic....Nebraska has bottomed out after his departure.

It appears that Nebraska's admin. demands a more "stoic" figure in the image of Tom Osborne as their coach.
And a FB program that has unrealistic expectations....SOUND FAMILIAR?

I don't see how Frost will be able to appease those guys at Nebraska short of winning a NC.

5. Matt Campbell at Iowa State? He's in his 4th year--finishing this year at 6-6 IMO...maybe 7-5.
How is that an adequate comparison with CJP in his 2nd year in the SEC?

I just think that it's too soon for any reasonable evaluation of those coaches listed above.

I'm very happy with CJP, in spite of the inexcusable loss to Ga. State.
I'm willing to chalk that huge mistake up to inexperience and conference over-confidence, especially since we've won 3 of the last 4.

I think there's enough evidence right now to conclude the man will have us playing elite DEFENSE sooner rather than later.
We need to sign some elite OL this year to go with an elite QB.

GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back