Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

This one may take a local in the know. Don't know if this place is still open or not, but would most surely be passed down in the family or different owners. Not sure how far back it dates, but we were getting food there when I was a kid, 40 ago years give or take.

Served Tamales and Chili. Out on Chapman Hwy on the right heading south. Can't remember exactly how far. Maybe reddish or orange sided building. Dive joint. Kind of on the hill. Dang that place was good.

Reactions: MAD
This one may take a local in the know. Don't know if this place is still open or not, but would most surely be passed down in the family or different owners. Not sure how far back it dates, but we were getting food there when I was a kid, 40 ago years give or take.

Served Tamales and Chili. Out on Chapman Hwy on the right heading south. Can't remember exactly how far. Maybe reddish or orange sided building. Dive joint. Kind of on the hill. Dang that place was good.
Sam & Jerry's maybe ?

I bet @Thunder Good-Oil would know.

I don't know Chapman Highway all that well. But I did buy an XL-250 at Valley Honda, lots of CDs at the Disc Exchange, and many burritos at theTaco Rancho that was briefly down on the right hand side of Chapmsn Highway. I'm not even sure where Young High School used to sit. I thought that Young was on the right but I think I've read that a Kroger is on that spot now which puts it on the left (across from the Taco Rancho location).

Anybody remember the name of the cajun restaurant on Bearden hill - it was on the left side of Kingston pike headed towards West Town Mall from Papermill - across from Wasabi's. It closed about 15 years ago and was awesome. Always busy and great food - heard a rumor they didn't pay their payroll taxes. I can't remember the name of it...

Anybody remember the name of the cajun restaurant on Bearden hill - it was on the left side of Kingston pike headed towards West Town Mall from Papermill - across from Wasabi's. It closed about 15 years ago and was awesome. Always busy and great food - heard a rumor they didn't pay their payroll taxes. I can't remember the name of it...

Copeland's

Who can name any of these old Knoxville restaurants?
B526026D-0934-4D9C-97D3-C3AB845B1E71.jpegA2C13272-B323-4384-A1E6-6200703771B8.jpegA8F3C02C-B6E7-442E-8286-7C65FB79E659.jpeg2E273623-235D-497C-970F-237037692744.jpeg3CB35835-AF65-450E-8E9A-7F4273568089.jpeg[VIDEO=][VIDEO=]7F951439-D6EA-4216-9A2B-5C0301C41E34.jpegD3B2C9C0-201D-4617-9A78-192680221970.jpeg[/VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Was just talking last night about how much I miss Ali Baba's Time Out Deli for post game meals.

The Orangery was too high fallutin' for me. Regas and The Quarterback might be 2 of the rest.

Guy holding the ice cream cone is Swenson's. Not sure if it's the Downtown West location or another one in town.

Hasting's.

Great source for movies, music, books games, and collectibles. Now, I go to McKays or that music store in the Mountain Mall when near Gatlinburg.

As to hangouts around Campus, the Last Lap. And the upstairs lounge at Pickle-U-Pub. they had some good local bands there back in the day.

Anyone remember when the Marriott Downtown was the Hyatt and they had a really cool Sunday Brunch up on the top floor?

We would go when friends and family would visit from out of town and I remember as a kid being so excited to ride the glass elevators.

I caught a cab from Hyatt Regency to return to Campus after the Boston concert. Me and my floormate in Hess figured that was a sane place to call for one to get back. Brad Delp got out of his limo, came up to us, and carried on a 15 minutes conversation with us. That was the "Don't Look Back" tour in 78. Every time I have been back there, I go back to the main entrance to remember it. Especially after he committed suicide. Super sad, because he really was a super nice guy. No ego at all.

Reactions: davethevol and MAD
Anyone remember when the Marriott Downtown was the Hyatt and they had a really cool Sunday Brunch up on the top floor?

We would go when friends and family would visit from out of town and I remember as a kid being so excited to ride the glass elevators.
Sure, absolutely, we would go maybe once every three months for the Sunday buffet. There were families like us plus what appeared to be starving grad students getting their only non-ramen meal for the week. Awesome buffet with bottomless champagne.

They had a bar on maybe the second floor, can’t remember the name, but we called it Que Tacky.

Reactions: NEVolFan and MAD

VN Store

Back