OT: can anyone identify what game this print is from?

It was reported in the press that The Hurricanes were reportedly arrogant toward the Vols whenever they crossed paths the few days before the game. They did not believe the Vols were a worthy opponent and Miami had some hope of winning and receive consideration for a No 1 ranking. Ut routing and dominated Miami so bad that I believe UT was the best team in the country that day.

I was there. Some Miami players were quoted as saying that they were surprised to encounter Tennessee fans on the streets actually wearing shoes. The Vols responded on the field with total domination. It was a great night to be a Tennessee Vol.

OP: the print you have is from the 1991 Sugar Bowl. Tennessee vs Virginia. At the time Virginia had white helmets with their number on the side. Side note, Derek Dooley was a starting receiver on that team. Along with Herman Moore who ended up playing in the NFL for a long time. Tennessee was trailing 16-0 at halftime and came back to win 23-22. Very exciting game that is underrated in Vols history.

Boom! Well done ShoalCreekVol!

I was there. Some Miami players were quoted as saying that they were surprised to encounter Tennessee fans on the streets actually wearing shoes. The Vols responded on the field with total domination. It was a great night to be a Tennessee Vol.
I was there too. The only bowl game i ever attended. 🙂

This thread turned out to take a life of it's own, lol
I have even researched the artists name to try and find the answer, but I couldnt find anything.
Not sure what to make out of it.
Wish #14's name on the back was clearer. That would help a lot.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I have even researched the artists name to try and find the answer, but I couldnt find anything.

It appears just a generic name & team so they don't have to pay the school or player for likeness.

I have the same print in my office. I received it as a Christmas present I believe in '84. I don't believe it's an actual game but a depiction of Alabama verses Tennessee. The Tennessee players are 54 - Dale Jones, 45 - Carl Zander, 44 - Alvin Toles & 16 - Tommy Simms.

Attachments

• 20191030_231912.jpg
    20191030_231912.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: 82_VOL_83
This was turning into a mystery until late 3, now just a big disappointment. Like the last 19 year of Vols football HA

OP: the print you have is from the 1991 Sugar Bowl. Tennessee vs Virginia. At the time Virginia had white helmets with their number on the side. Side note, Derek Dooley was a starting receiver on that team. Along with Herman Moore who ended up playing in the NFL for a long time. Tennessee was trailing 16-0 at halftime and came back to win 23-22. Very exciting game that is underrated in Vols history.

I was at that game. Great win for the Vols. The UVA fans were very obnoxious, chanting "it's great, to be, able to read" in mockery of our cheer, and their band mocked Elvis at halftime. I was so glad we came back and kicked em in the teeth!

In fact, that 91 Sugar Bowl is the only bowl game I had attended until the Music City Bowl against Nebraska in Dec 2016.

Alabama wore white helmets to away games for the last time in 1984. They lost to UT 28-27, I believe, in Knoxville in 1984.

I'm guessing this is 84 vs Alabama.

Yeah, I forgot about them doing that. Pretty sure 54 was Dale Jones,

The helmet looks like Auburn... I was there the day Rambo Jackson came into town. Dale Jones pounded Bo's knee with his helmet in the third quarter (which cracked Dale's helmet). Bo checked himself out of the game after that hit. Dale changed helmets and came back into the game. UT pounded the War Buzzards that day. Tie Dye was their coach. Whatta Day...

GO VOLS!!!!

That was my first game as a freshman at UT. I'll never forget it. Auburn was ranked number 1 and we just flat kicked their ass. Someone released a rubber chicken hanging from a balloon into the stadium before the game as a "salute" to the war eagle, it was very funny. Games were a lot of fun that year.

It's fun!

E
It was reported in the press that The Hurricanes were reportedly arrogant toward the Vols whenever they crossed paths the few days before the game. They did not believe the Vols were a worthy opponent and Miami had some hope of winning and receive consideration for a No 1 ranking. Ut routing and dominated Miami so bad that I believe UT was the best team in the country that day.
Exactly! We had little encounter with Hurricane fans because they were so few. However, Vol players recounted several remarks from Miami players just as you described, both at the scheduled events & dinners & on Bourbon St. Sent those 'Canes packing with tails between their legs. The atmosphere in the Superdome was electric!

I have the same print in my office. I received it as a Christmas present I believe in '84. I don't believe it's an actual game but a depiction of Alabama verses Tennessee. The Tennessee players are 54 - Dale Jones, 45 - Carl Zander, 44 - Alvin Toles & 16 - Tommy Simms.

Kenneth Smith, the artist, seems to have taken a few liberties there. As I recall, Tommy Sims (#16) was a black guy.

Well, I assume Tommy is still a black guy.............:)

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Kenneth Smith, the artist, seems to have taken a few liberties there. As I recall, Tommy Sims (#16) was a black guy.

You can see Tommy at the 1:09:30 mark

Sounds right to me. I was there. Drinking in the dome. Seems like the POTSLMB made UVA band look like crap. Great win. Drove all the way back to Tennessee after the game.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
That was my first game as a freshman at UT. I'll never forget it. Auburn was ranked number 1 and we just flat kicked their ass. Someone released a rubber chicken hanging from a balloon into the stadium before the game as a "salute" to the war eagle, it was very funny. Games were a lot of fun that year.

That rubber floated over my head in the South End Zone... I laughed and said this day is gonna be special. Tony Robinson wore them War buzzards out.

GO VOLS!!!

It was fun trying to figure it out...a bit of a let down on the answer, but that is true of most mysteries.

anyway it made me watch this...

I tend to agree with the earlier poster that said he thought the artist was high

I can state as fact that the entire week leading up to the game the major sports topic in S. FL was how much Miami had to win by to be #1. There was no thought even given to actually having to play the game. I lived just north of W Palm at the time.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

VN Store

Back