It’s time to stop sending Butch checks...

Trumpet boy is showing his true character in this situation; which is poor. Someone who actually wanted to coach again would have learned from Saban and gone after another HC gig to rebuild his reputation. Trumpet boy has no interest in giving up the millions owed because he knows he can’t coach at this level and this is it for him.

I promise you when the golden parachute hits the ground he will all of a sudden have interest in finding a job. What a freaking loser.

The best part is he knows he doesn’t deserve the cigars. He’s a lap dog trying to be something he knows he will never be: A champion of life.

Per Butch's contract, he is in breach if he isn't seeking out 'comparable' employment which per his contract is a HC or assistant coaching position at the collegiate level or higher.

Choosing to spend two seasons getting coffee for Saban is not actively seeking a coaching position.
Proving it will be futile.

Stop paying Butch, and it is Butch who will have to prove that he isn't in breach on contract. UT has an extensive legal department on staff, it costs the school far less to defend their position than it will Butch.
If UT stops paying him BEFORE there’s a ruling? They’re automatically in breach. Then they have to spend more defending their position. That extensive legal department is the main reason nothing’s been done on this. I’m sure the subject’s been brought up well before now.

If you lose you’re paying Butch’s legal fees as well as cost of all court proceedings...hefty principles tab. Arkansas shouldn’t be our inspiration for anything...not with their track record.

We talking about millions though... not peanuts and cashews... plus UT has wayyy more resources than little ole Butchy Bottoms.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83 and 08Vol
We talking about millions though... not peanuts and cashews... plus UT has wayyy more resources than little ole Butchy Bottoms.
Doubling up on the millions spent is a waste of those resources. It’s like the indignation from some over paying up to keep Barnes. You lose the guy and you end up spending more to replace him. These legal minds know the raw deal that we negotiated for ourselves after a 7 win season. They also know the burden of proof factor. That’s why it hasn’t been done. February 2021 will be over before we know it.

Doubling up on the millions spent is a waste of those resources. It’s like the indignation from some over paying up to keep Barnes. You lose the guy and you end up spending more to replace him. These legal minds know the raw deal that we negotiated for ourselves after a 7 win season. They also know the burden of proof factor. That’s why it hasn’t been done. February 2021 will be over before we know it.

I have to agree although I hate it. If our lawyers can’t save more than it would cost to win the case (if they can) it’s a sunk cost. We have to blame ourselves on this one. Consider it a “Stupid Tax” we have to pay.

I have to agree although I hate it. If our lawyers can’t save more than it would cost to win the case (if they can) it’s a sunk cost. We have to blame ourselves on this one. Consider it a “Stupid Tax” we have to pay.
It grates...I get it. Felt the same after Hamilton extended Fulmer the year he fired him and paying Dooley to basically do nothing. But it’s money that’s set aside for numnut contingencies. I’m a Braves fan and they’re still paying Bruce Sutter for part of a season in 1986. You build a callous and move on.

Arkansas recently stopped paying their ex-head man Bilelema after learning he was being underpaid $50,000 for coaching D-line at New England:

Decision to stop Bret Bielema buyout payments could save Arkansas millions

Moreover, Saban recently admitted Butch has turned down other coaching jobs to stay at Alabama as an Intern/Anaylst/All-around cigar-smoking POS (for $35,000) in a recent interview.

Time for UT Admin to step up & stop this madness! Time to stop paying Butch is now, as he is obviously not actively pursuing other jobs!!!
I've been saying this since he took the bama job.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Arkansas recently stopped paying their ex-head man Bilelema after learning he was being underpaid $50,000 for coaching D-line at New England:

Moreover, Saban recently admitted Butch has turned down other coaching jobs to stay at Alabama as an Intern/Anaylst/All-around cigar-smoking POS (for $35,000) in a recent interview.

Time for UT Admin to step up & stop this madness! Time to stop paying Butch is now, as he is obviously not actively pursuing other jobs!!!
Thread wins the internet for the day and should be pinned until the deed gets done. Let him sue us.

Reactions: BigOrangeArsenal
May not be the best time to bring this up, but I really hope we don't give Pruitt a big raise and extension after this season. Even if we make a bowl, he needs another season to prove we are really headed in the right direction before a big reward. We always seem to fire coaches the year after their extension and buyout is increased.

Reactions: walkenvol and 08Vol

Butch Jones contract at Tennessee
Butch Jones
Butch Jones Photo Credit: AP

College: Tennessee
Conference: SEC
State: Tennessee
Base compensation
2017 guaranteed pay: $4,110,000
Total contract pay: $30,630,000
Contract length: 8 years
Start date: 12/7/2012
Last amended: 12/13/2015
Expires: 2/28/2021
Incentives
National title bonus: $500,000
CFP semifinal win: $400,000
CFP semifinal appearance: $350,000
Conference title bonus: $100,000 for appearing and $50,000 for winning
Coach of the year award bonus: $50,000 for conference coach of year; $100,000 for national coach of year
National poll bonus: $100,000 for top 10 AP poll finish; $50,000 for top 25 AP poll finish
Academic bonuses: if team APR fall belows 930, coach forfeits $50,000
Car: two cars with paid liability insurance or $1,600 monthly allowance
Tickets: 8 football lower-bowl tickets, 16-seat suite and two parking passes.
Other Perks
Miscellaneous perks: $500,000 signing bonus; $10,000 annually for summer camp; university paid $1,400,000 contract buyout to University of Cincinnati
Buyout if coach leaves for another coaching job: $3,000,000 if before 2/28/18; $2,000,000 if before 2/28/20; $1,000,000 if before 2/28/21

Here is the info on Butch! That is still a long ways out to get paid! I don’t think he is even trying anymore? We’ll see! I just don’t know about him! Has he ever applied for a real job yet?

Butch Jones contract at Tennessee
Butch Jones
Butch Jones Photo Credit: AP

College: Tennessee
Conference: SEC
State: Tennessee
Base compensation
2017 guaranteed pay: $4,110,000
Total contract pay: $30,630,000
Contract length: 8 years
Start date: 12/7/2012
Last amended: 12/13/2015
Expires: 2/28/2021
Incentives
National title bonus: $500,000
CFP semifinal win: $400,000
CFP semifinal appearance: $350,000
Conference title bonus: $100,000 for appearing and $50,000 for winning
Coach of the year award bonus: $50,000 for conference coach of year; $100,000 for national coach of year
National poll bonus: $100,000 for top 10 AP poll finish; $50,000 for top 25 AP poll finish
Academic bonuses: if team APR fall belows 930, coach forfeits $50,000
Car: two cars with paid liability insurance or $1,600 monthly allowance
Tickets: 8 football lower-bowl tickets, 16-seat suite and two parking passes.
Other Perks
Miscellaneous perks: $500,000 signing bonus; $10,000 annually for summer camp; university paid $1,400,000 contract buyout to University of Cincinnati
Buyout if coach leaves for another coaching job: $3,000,000 if before 2/28/18; $2,000,000 if before 2/28/20; $1,000,000 if before 2/28/21

Here is the info on Butch! That is still a long ways out to get paid! I don’t think he is even trying anymore? We’ll see! I just don’t know about him! Has he ever applied for a real job yet?

Here's the relevant portion of his contract that he is currently in breach of:

butch314.png

Butch-Jones-Initial-Contract

He would. Don't we have staff attorneys?
To handle routine affairs. This is litigation...there will be billable hours ON BOTH SIDES. And whoever ends up on the wrong side of the judgement pays the whole bill. There’s a simple reason why the professionals haven’t pushed forward on this...calculated risk.

Stop paying him for breach of contract. Burch can choose to file suite, but in doing so he's going to have to go under oath and say that no job offers or invitations to interview were made, and his communications with Jimmy Sexton, and his communications with any AD will become part of discovery.

My guess is that instead, Butch has at least a DII coaching job by the end of December, and UT at least saves some money.
Who is to say he hasn't interviewed at schools? Also, just because you are offered a job a doesn't mean you have to accept it.

As others have said, it would cost more in legal fees to pursue this. Also, you have to factor in the reputational risk involve. If you don't think coaches are scratching Ark off their list you're mistaken.

To handle routine affairs. This is litigation...there will be billable hours ON BOTH SIDES. And whoever ends up on the wrong side of the judgement pays the whole bill. There’s a simple reason why the professionals haven’t pushed forward on this...calculated risk.

UT's office of General Counsel does not work on "billable hours" they are salaried employees of the University.

What I don’t get it is “where is the pride”

Don’t you want a real job instead of being Saban’s juice box guy?

Dooley went and found real jobs, why can’t Butch?
Dools' resume was a bit more solid than Butch's, IMO.

VN Store

Back