It’s time to stop sending Butch checks...

BigOrangeArsenal

BLEED ORANGE!
Arkansas recently stopped paying their ex-head man Bilelema after learning he was being underpaid $50,000 for coaching D-line at New England:

Decision to stop Bret Bielema buyout payments could save Arkansas millions

Moreover, Saban recently admitted Butch has turned down other coaching jobs to stay at Alabama as an Intern/Anaylst/All-around cigar-smoking POS (for $35,000) in a recent interview.

Time for UT Admin to step up & stop this madness! Time to stop paying Butch is now, as he is obviously not actively pursuing other jobs!!!

Last edited:
Arkansas recently stopped paying their ex-head man Bilelema after learning he was being underpaid $50,000 for coaching D-line at New England:

Moreover, Saban recently admitted Butch has turned down other coaching jobs to stay at Alabama as an Intern/Anaylst/All-around cigar-smoking POS with a $35,000 in a recent interview.

Time for UT Admin to step up & stop this madness! Time to stop paying Butch is now, as he is obviously not actively pursuing other jobs!!!

Here, here. I volunteer to go have the face to face with Butchie Boy to give him the good news.

Arkansas's only commodity is pig sh!t and they might have to eat it after the inevitable lawsuit.

If we went to court with Butch, Saban's drivel is inadmissible.

Our program is showing signs of recovering. Best to wait and see how the AR/Bielema case plays out before we risk wallowing in sh!t and embarrassing ourselves.

Edit: I hope AR comes out on top & would love to stop paying Butch. I just think we have more to lose trying to force the issue than AR.

Arkansas's only commodity is pig sh!t and they might have to eat it after the inevitable lawsuit.

Our program is showing signs of recovering. Best to wait and see how the AR/Bielema case plays out before we risk wallowing in sh!t and embarrassing ourselves.

Edit: I hope AR comes out on top & would love to stop paying Butch. I just think we have more to lose trying to force the issue than AR.
I agree, it would be better to go after him for damages after UT has fulfilled its obligations.

Damages mitigation can be a little tricky. I recall a case where a movie star’s contract on a film was cancelled and she was offered a part in another film. IIRC, the court held there was no duty to mitigate because the second film was a dramatic western tather than a musical with dancing, and was to be filmed in Australia rather than California. Ultimately, court stated no failure to mitigate where the employment is different in kind or inferior.

So here, looking at Butch’s situation, he could claim offers that were less than SEC-level head coaching gigs were something he was not interested in doing (though he would look foolish in this argument considering he’s interning for the Tide), or that he did not want to move his family out of a certain geographical location (e.g., Oregon State gig).

Not saying we couldn’t prevail against Butch, but it’s not as clear-cut as he has turned down some jobs. Going to really matter what the jobs were and where.

Damages mitigation can be a little tricky. I recall a case where a movie star’s contract on a film was cancelled and she was offered a part in another film. IIRC, the court held there was no duty to mitigate because the second film was a dramatic western tather than a musical with dancing, and was to be filmed in Australia rather than California. Ultimately, court stated no failure to mitigate where the employment is different in kind or inferior.

So here, looking at Butch’s situation, he could claim offers that were less than SEC-level head coaching gigs were something he was not interested in doing (though he would look foolish in this argument considering he’s interning for the Tide), or that he did not want to move his family out of a certain geographical location (e.g., Oregon State gig).

Not saying we couldn’t prevail against Butch, but it’s not as clear-cut as he has turned down some jobs. Going to really matter what the jobs were and where.
Agree...and the other side is how much do you pay to defend your decision to stop paying him? What is the difference in paying vs. judicial and lawyer fees to defend decision not to pay him? Especially when the payout has already gone on the books and is no longer part of the budget process. UT books the payout they year that it occurs and is no longer an ongoing accounting/budget line item.

I'm sure a private investigator could easily uncover which schools offered Butch, for what position, and when. The least we should be doing is that. Once we get our ducks in a row, go after that B*tch.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

Come on, the guy has been an analyst/intern for two years. There is no evidence that he is seriously seeking employment.

His contract clearly states (paraphrasing):

Must seek gainful employment

Existing as a Saban bellboy and clipboard holder can in no way be construed as gainful employment. In other words, he’s violating what the contract mandates. Hell, HS coaches make more than $35K/yr. His actions are intentional, he knows it and so should we.

We can split hairs over what “gainful” means and what position he could reasonably attain, but it’s sure as hell more than a position paying $35K.

Last edited:
I'm sure a private investigator could easily uncover which schools offered Butch, for what position, and when. The least we should be doing is that. Once we get our ducks in a row, go after that B*tch.
They would probably discover he is sneaking out at halftime to play 2nd trumpet in the Million Dollar Band.

Moreover, Saban recently admitted Butch has turned down other coaching jobs to stay at Alabama as an Intern/Anaylst/All-around cigar-smoking POS (for $35,000) in a recent interview.

That's for dayamm sure!

Reactions: BigOrangeArsenal

Or stop the payments citing the contract clause that requires him to seek a position that provides the maximum mitigation for Tennessee and let him sue. Once he sues the discovery process would allow UT lawyers to find the answer with a simple interrogatory, "What jobs have you been offered since you were terminated by the University of Tennessee?"

Stop paying him for breach of contract. Burch can choose to file suite, but in doing so he's going to have to go under oath and say that no job offers or invitations to interview were made, and his communications with Jimmy Sexton, and his communications with any AD will become part of discovery.

My guess is that instead, Butch has at least a DII coaching job by the end of December, and UT at least saves some money.

I just find it odd that he would remain in such a low level position. You’ve been the CEO of a company, got canned for poor performance, and now you’re working as the doorman at a competing company. Would of thought anyone who’s made it up through the ranks to be a head SEC football coach then gotten canned would have more pride such that they would pursue other coaching opportunities to prove themselves again?

You guys are missing the real story, those cheating Patriots are party to this by not paying Bielema the going rate. Same for Alabama, Butch is obviously coaching and should be compensated as such.

Reactions: PA Vol and Remy
If you lose you’re paying Butch’s legal fees as well as cost of all court proceedings...hefty principles tab. Arkansas shouldn’t be our inspiration for anything...not with their track record.

Per Butch's contract, he is in breach if he isn't seeking out 'comparable' employment which per his contract is a HC or assistant coaching position at the collegiate level or higher.

Choosing to spend two seasons getting coffee for Saban is not actively seeking a coaching position.

VN Store

Back