Tony Basilio

jackieaprilesr

leave the gun, take the cannoli
how do we get this guy off the air? he is complete trash and claims to have insiders in the program that give him information that never proves true. i listened to this guy's show for weeks during the Gruden fiasco. Every day for a month, this guy claimed that Gruden was negotiating with Currie, then signed a contract with UT and then was going out of his way to keep it a secret so he could announce it on MNF. He never has confirmed information and uses false information to generate listeners and sponsors. He is the last guy we want recruits knowing about and listening too prior to visiting Knoxville. pretty sure he still lives in his mama's basement.

how do we get this guy off the air? he is complete trash and claims to have insiders in the program that give him information that never proves true. i listened to this guy's show for weeks during the Gruden fiasco. Every day for a month, this guy claimed that Gruden was negotiating with Currie, then signed a contract with UT and then was going out of his way to keep it a secret so he could announce it on MNF. He never has confirmed information and uses false information to generate listeners and sponsors. He is the last guy we want recruits knowing about and listening too prior to visiting Knoxville. pretty sure he still lives in his mama's basement.
You still tore up about a radio show from 2 years ago?

I tracked down a recorded show of Basilio because someone told me he was explaining the real reason Daniel Helm left. I don't remember how long I waited, but he just kept trying to build it up for what seemed like forever. I got fed up and turned him off. It's like he was trying to soak in every second he could get out of it.

Eat the watermelon, spit out the seeds. Having listened to him over the years I think he does claim to know more than what he does, but he also knows more than his critics think he does. He's certainly better than state-run media.

I got to where I found his show during the week tiresome because about half of it is what I think are inside jokes with callers which I don't care to listen enough to understand. His reaction show after games though is highly entertaining and unfiltered. It sometimes goes on seemingly forever - after the Georgia St debacle he was still on the air at like 11:00 at night.

Reactions: VFL10
At least WNML has facts not rumors, guesses and supposed inside info. You never learn anything from Basilio
WNML is just a fact delivery vehicle. They disseminate information, that's it. Any "inside information" they have is what the athletic department wants you to know, and any opinions they have must be softened and highly filtered. The real value-add in sports media, IMO, is an unfiltered, honest analysis and commentary of the facts.

What WNML has that Basilio doesn't is access, specifically a press credential to get into the coach's press conferences and interview players. If they don't have access to those things, they can't disseminate any facts. In order to maintain that access, they have to play nice and throw softballs. Basilio doesn't have the access, but that allows him to be more real in his opinions. Which is more valuable, IMO. I don't really care who was the very first to report a player's injury, for example.

Reactions: LocoVol
Tony has been saying this week that his "inside sources" say that the coaches do not trust Shrout and if Maurer is a no go, then Guarantano will be the QB on Saturday. Seems to me like a very low percentage prediction, given the circumstances last week. So, here is a chance for all the Basilio haters to stand up and be heard or eat crow. Who all is willing to stand behind their statements that Basilio is "full of it" on the record and come back here and eat crow if Guarantano starts over Shrout?? Lets hear it?

Tony has been saying this week that his "inside sources" say that the coaches do not trust Shrout and if Maurer is a no go, then Guarantano will be the QB on Saturday. Seems to me like a very low percentage prediction, given the circumstances last week. So, here is a chance for all the Basilio haters to stand up and be heard or eat crow. Who all is willing to stand behind their statements that Basilio is "full of it" on the record and come back here and eat crow if Guarantano starts over Shrout?? Lets hear it?

I don't think that's a good example. At least 50% odds he is right, and JG has gotten the nod every other game this year.... sounds like a captain obvious statement to me.

Yes Tony can be a clown or shock jock 50% of the time but his sources and radio guest are very creditable and he speaks truth most of the time. Like he knew about the Jeremy Banks deal ,but only gave the listener clues to what was going on before it was made known publicly.

Basillio is a Knoxville institution. Every college town has one on the radio for sports. A "homer" to the end. I, personally, love it. I think he has his place. He has been right at times, a little off at times and way off at times. Another words, like every other media personality in this town that has come and gone. The difference is Tony B. is still here. I only catch up with his show once a week or so, but I look forward to it. Beano !!! How do you not like Beano?? Anyway, just my two worthless cents.

I listened to the Sports Animal for years before turning to Tony Basilio. His show is 100x more entertaining than anything on WMNL, and has way better callers than John and Jimmy's. He gives you insight on what is happening behind the scenes, stuff you will never hear from state run radio WMNL. Jayson Swain and Tony Basilio are the only two sport talk hosts in town that give you real insight into the program.

VN Store

Back