No line judge?

I live in Birmingham. Showed this to some Bama fans I work with and they both tried to use the "camera angle" as an argument. Right...

One thing this game has done is replaced any shred of apathy with hatred for Bama again. And that's a good sign...

Reactions: Alto1
I live in Birmingham. Showed this to some Bama fans I work with and they both tried to use the "camera angle" as an argument. Right...

One thing this game has done is replaced any shred of apathy with hatred for Bama again. And that's a good sign...

The angle thing was my first thought too. But it isn't that far off from being straight on and he's a solid 18 inches out if front of the rest of the Alabama defensive line.

Here's the overhead shot right at the snap. Nobody offsides.

Attachments

• 92CBF68F-FCF1-4439-B21B-889747F3399E.jpeg
    92CBF68F-FCF1-4439-B21B-889747F3399E.jpeg
    483 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: preacherwebb
Wow I haven't even seen this one yet.... unreal. I just hate seeing the refs making there presence known in a game. Usually, when there is a suspect call, you think "that was weird" but then move on because you realize the officials are human and may make a mistake every now and then....

However...

What happened Saturday more than raised some eyebrows. It wasn't just one odd call. Maurer's unpenalized concussion that mirrored To'oto'o's ejection last week, Taylor's penalty for simply playing football, the random unexplained stopping of the clock in the redzone when we lined up wildcat, uncalled Jennings pass interference, Bituli being ejected for unavoidable contact when Jeudy dove headfirst to the endzone, the "one second play" that bama had on their final drive of the half where the clock just didn't start, and now this blatant offsides that never should have been missed, it all just didn't add up. That's not even mentioning the countless penalties we accrued every time we sniffed the end zone.

I understand being an official is hard and there will be mistakes. It happens. No one expects perfection. But when the number one team in the country seems to be in danger at home with a big $ matchup vs LSU looming in a few weeks, we suddenly see this entire list of odd calls. I'm not one to say refs ever lose people games, and I don't even know if I would say that today. We didn't play perfect. But man, with that many unexplainably bad calls in one game.... it really makes you wonder.
I agree with all but Bituli. That was a legit call. In my day what he did had a name - spearing. He clearly intentionally turned his head down and into the runner. He could have stopped the forward progress by any of several safer moves, such as turning his full torso to its side or back against the runner.

Maurer's unpenalized concussion that mirrored To'oto'o's ejection last week
It should have been roughing the passer, but it was completely different from what HT did. HT hit helmet to helmet on a QB.........that was correctly called targeting.

Yup and I have seen the play ran from that view and it was clear noone was offsides. There were plenty of obvious blown calls on the field that night in favor of bammer that you dont have to complain about things that were called correctly.

I'm just a nobody and I get it. But I want an explanation from Steve Shaw about what happened Saturday night. If he has any integrity whatsoever he would he would come out with an explanation or his side of how the call were made and what the repercussions are.

The picture in the original post was not the QB sneak/fumble. WM is the end man on the line in the pic. #74 was on the end for the disaster play. We need to do a little more digging to see when that play was, because the bama player was clearly lined up offsides.

I agree with all but Bituli. That was a legit call. In my day what he did had a name - spearing. He clearly intentionally turned his head down and into the runner. He could have stopped the forward progress by any of several safer moves, such as turning his full torso to its side or back against the runner.
I disagree. There was no time. It was dive for the dirt or let him dive through. He tried to turn his shoulder but it was to late. There was no time.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

I disagree. The camera angle looking into the EZ (not the angle from the EZ that ESPN kept showing) clearly showed Bituli tuck his right elbow up to hit with his right shoulder, which he did, hitting Jeudy in the left shoulder. Unfortunately there was nowhere for his helmet to go but into Jeudy's helmet. I get that under the current rules that is considered targeting, so I don't blame the officials for calling it, or replay for upholding it. But it was still clear to me that Bituli was trying to, and did, lead with his shoulder. And to me it was clearly a football play

These two angle appear to be from different snaps. The defensive alignment and player position looks different to me. Maybe the Ala**** player moved back after initially lining up in the neutral zone? Either these are different snaps or different points in time on the same play.
DAB8342F-9BE1-4523-976D-80D80EB7DECD.jpegAF1308F9-811D-4B88-B5B9-8C4C7E00809E.jpeg

Reactions: HollowaytoSeivers
The refs are ruining football..It will be unwatchable if they don’t take a step back
It's not just the refs. The SEC is in on it too. They have to make sure their precious bama makes to the playoffs. Where do you think the refs get their direction from?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
These two angle appear to be from different snaps. The defensive alignment and player position looks different to me. Maybe the Ala**** player moved back after initially lining up in the neutral zone? Either these are different snaps or different points in time on the same play.
View attachment 232708View attachment 232709
Agree, definitely looks like two different plays. On the first shot, it looks like Morris (#64) is the outside lineman at a traditional LT spot. On the overhead shot, Calbert (#74) is the outside lineman in what appears to be a Jumbo goal line package.

Reactions: davethevol
I've watched this play several times now. Alabama was strictly trying to stop a QB sneak. Tennessee line-- Watch it the OL. Trey Smith the powers Alabama 10 yds into the endzone. A run off the left side would have been a walk in TD.
Of course it would have been a walk in but that doesn't change the fact that the Bama player was lined up across the ball.

Reactions: BearBryant
Slowly? I would say they have the pedal floored in fifth gear on a 8 pct downhill grade.
Lol, yeah I only said slowly because I can't remember seeing another game aside from SC/FL and ours that was so blatantly rigged. Bad officiating has happened for years, but in those two games it was on another level.

Reactions: HollowaytoSeivers
View attachment 232708View attachment 232709
Thanks for posting the side by side. Definitely different plays. You can tell by hand positions alone...

VN Store

Back