Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is borrowing trouble IMO.

Keep our history with 5*s in mind. Most of them haven't gone one-and-done. Tobias Harris did, but Jarnell Stokes and Scotty Hopson both played here for three years and Robert Hubbs played for four. So assuming that any or all of these guys are one-and-done is counting your chickens before they hatch.

Also, you talk about one-and-dones like they're a bad thing. If these players are good enough to be drafted after their freshman year, then they'll give us some very good ball while they're here - and putting guys into the NBA will help Barnes continue to recruit at a very high level for as long as he coaches here. It's a good problem to have.

Yeah I think there is too much "1 and done" assuming. Isn't the highest of all our 5 star targets 14th in the country? The others are in the 20s, 30s, 40s iirc. That is the sweet spot iyam. Outside of the top 5 or 10, plenty of guys stick a few years.

Fwiw last year, the top 6 guys all were drafted. 2 more from the top 15. But from #15 to #50 national players, a mere 3 left early. That is less than 10%.

Last edited:
Yeah I think there is too much "1 and done" assuming. Isn't the highest of all our 5 star targets 14th in the country? Outside of the top 5 or 10, plenty of guys stick a few years.

Keon Johnson’s was projected to be the 11th overall pick in one mock draft this week after his freshmen year but I don’t expect all these guys to leave after one year.
JMO but I think the key to Barnes taking us to the final 4 or back to a number one ranking is players that are here at least 3 years

Just a hunch, but I would think it would be wise to rest Maurer for Bama and give him another week to heal. I say let’s go with JG and see what we do with him vs. Bama.

Keon Johnson’s was projected to be the 11th overall pick in one mock draft this week after his freshmen year but I don’t expect all these guys to leave after one year.
JMO but I think the key to Barnes taking us to the final 4 or back to a number one ranking is players that are here at least 3 years

OR

have super talented players willing to accept a TEAM roll and put the team above themselves. Could it be Barnes only takes these type players??

Reactions: SmokinBob
Yeah I think there is too much "1 and done" assuming. Isn't the highest of all our 5 star targets 14th in the country? The others are in the 20s, 30s, 40s iirc. That is the sweet spot iyam. Outside of the top 5 or 10, plenty of guys stick a few years.

Springer is 15th, Johnson is 18th and 23rd (247), and Walker is in the 30’s. Walker was a 5 star and moved back because talk was that he doesn’t play AAU summer ball.

I agree it’s perfect because you can probably get at least 2 years out of a couple of them. If Josiah James stays 2 years, then we could essentially have four 5 stars playing at a time.,

The Yankees and their fans are so whiney, it's very difficult to have any sympathy for them.
Wait a minute----I love the Yankees as much as my Vols but I'm not whiney. Why would you lump every fan into one statement?

Just a hunch, but I would think it would be wise to rest Maurer for Bama and give him another week to heal. I say let’s go with JG and see what we do with him vs. Bama.
Throw my man out there and let him work. It’s all downhill for him from there. I don’t want this team conceding an inch. We are coming to fight

Throw my man out there and let him work. It’s all downhill for him from there. I don’t want this team conceding an inch. We are coming to fight

Not conceding at all.....just being prudent. I would love to see Maurer at 100% go out there, BUT, when dealing with concussions, I say go conservative. ONce you have had a concussion, the likelyhood of another increase dramatically.

It comes down to how much better are your odds with one over the other. Give BAma all you have with JG and move on to USC at home with a healthy Maurer.

Just my thoughts......

I think we'll still have plenty of those guys. Not like we are bringing in Duke type classes, where the whole class are top 5 players. I think Barnes is shooting for that sweet spot.

Keon Johnson is 23rd HS player right now. If odds posted earlier are steady, odds are very good he isn't (or shouldn't be) jumping early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back