JT Shrout? Do we play him this week?

Orange defense

Blood runneth orange in my veins
My question is, is that we aren’t talking much about him lately about playing. Is there something holding him back? What is going on with him?

Reactions: RollerVol
If JG gets hurt, Shrout would be my 2nd string and the water boy my 3rd. No reason to play Maurer in this game. I’m hoping JG doesn’t get hurt, he showed a lot of maturity helping and congratulating Maurer. They both did, love to see it

I just hope that if Shrout does get the call, he knows how to answer the phone.

If JG gets hurt, Shrout would be my 2nd string and the water boy my 3rd. No reason to play Maurer in this game. I’m hoping JG doesn’t get hurt, he showed a lot of maturity helping and congratulating Maurer. They both did, love to see it

I am as concerned as anyone about Maurer's health. But if he is cleared by medical professionals the kid should start.

Good one... and I think,
JJ gets his wish... be will be the QB in the 3rd quarter.

If/when the game gets out of hand.....I think you certainly play him.

Tennessee doesn’t have a “true solid” QB yet. Why would you not want to give the guy some game time and just see what he can do.

I mean when It’s not going to hurt you to give him some looks.

He’s the least mobile option, but there is no way he is worse than JG reading defenses, making quick decisions, or leading the offense and moving the ball,

He’s the least mobile option, but there is no way he is worse than JG reading defenses, making quick decisions, or leading the offense and moving the ball,

He has a much quicker release than jg, and is much more mobile than jg, but not as mobile as Maurer. If maurer is unable to play we score more points with jt, and it will aslo give him valuable game expierence. Jg should be done, we cannot win with him as qb with any of the remaining games. Shrout needs some real game expierence, jg need to sit. We always have a much more conservative offensive game plan with jg than we would with either jt or Maurer

My question is, is that we aren’t talking much about him lately about playing. Is there something holding him back? What is going on with him?

Our coaches don't know how to evaluate good talent. He reminds me of Peyton Manning, with the athleticism of Heath Shuler and the moxie of Casey Clausen.

I am as concerned as anyone about Maurer's health. But if he is cleared by medical professionals the kid should start.

Maurer looked fine on JG's TD throw to Byrd. He ran down the sideline celebrating with other players and looked fine. He is just required to go through protocol but I would suspect will be good to go Saturday, and if he is, I can't imagine CJP not starting him. How much he plays is anyone's guess at this point, but I will be surprised if he is not announced as the starter this Saturday.

Reactions: vols40
If Maurer plays, it needs to be drilled into him to slide... He's no good to anyone being hurt.

Play who gives you a chance to win. It's already hard to beat bama anyways, don't make it harder. Upsets happen, but they don't if you lay down for the other team.

Healthy or not, why risk his health, when there is absolutely NO possibility of winning this game.
Save him for the SC game, when at least when or odds of winning improves by 34 points. You start JG and try to work Shrout into a series in both halves; for some experience.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Our coaches don't know how to evaluate good talent. He reminds me of Peyton Manning, with the athleticism of Heath Shuler and the moxie of Casey Clausen.

now, if we can coach him to not throw int's in the Red Zone we've got an All American on our hands...:D

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT BAMA!

Healthy or not, why risk his health, when there is absolutely NO possibility of winning this game.
Save him for the SC game, when at least when or odds of winning improves by 34 points. You start JG and try to work Shrout into a series in both halves; for some experience.
They play the game for a reason. I’m sure you thought there was “no” chance South Carolina would beat Georgia Saturday. But they still played the game, and South Carolina won.

Why would we play him is the question.

Only reason you would is if both Maurer and JG are hurt.

A possible second reason, though unlikely, is you throw him to the wolves this week in order to preserve your starter (Maurer) and back up (JG) for the rest of the season.

Respectfully disagree. You don't get better by doing this. S. Carolina just went to Athens and won. Not saying that I think we win. But totally disagree with this. You can get hurt just as easily in the SC TN game ask Marcus Lattimore.

VN Store

Back