Brian Maurer starting against UGA

Had a movie night with my family. Turned game on late in the 3rd and saw we were getting ass kicked as expected. Looked at stats a little bit later. Saw Maur was under 50%, had a pic and a fumble.... glad we got this QB thing ironed out so we can move on to the next problem on the team.
Dude Mauer played better than JG has all year. I think maybe you should watch the entire game. He made mistakes but he also made 2 pretty touchdown throws and moved the ball well at times. He had 1 interception and at the end of the game he got hit by a unblocked player and fumbled. Be sure you watch that play then come back and be critical of that fumble. The Int was on Mauer he needed to lay the pass in flater, but other than that he looked poised most of the night, especially in the first half. GBO!

Dude Mauer played better than JG has all year. I think maybe you should watch the entire game. He made mistakes but he also made 2 pretty touchdown throws and moved the ball well at times. He had 1 interception and at the end of the game he got hit by a unblocked player and fumbled. Be sure you watch that play then come back and be critical of that fumble. The Int was on Mauer he needed to lay the pass in flater, but other than that he looked poised most of the night, especially in the first half. GBO!
I think he should just stick to watching movies

Reactions: VolNExile
BM now knows what it feels like to be JG.
No. He really doesn't. You act like JG was a victim. He wasn't. He was hit as much because he held the ball too long and never learned to read a D than because the OL didn't give him time. Maurer made some freshman mistakes against a very good team... but being indecisive wasn't one of them.

Maurer will watch the film and Chaney will coach him up to see his mistakes. Coaches tried to coach JG up for about 4 years now... and he could never make the reads and decisions.

No. He really doesn't. You act like JG was a victim. He wasn't. He was hit as much because he held the ball too long and never learned to read a D than because the OL didn't give him time. Maurer made some freshman mistakes against a very good team... but being indecisive wasn't one of them.

Maurer will watch the film and Chaney will coach him up to see his mistakes. Coaches tried to coach JG up for about 4 years now... and he could never make the reads and decisions.
My post was not a BM versus JG post. It was more of a knock on development of our OLine.

My post was not a BM versus JG post. It was more of a knock on development of our OLine.
And my disagreement with you is the idea that all of the pressure JG has experienced has been because the OL hasn't developed. He doesn't read D's well. He doesn't manage the pocket well. He holds the ball too long. Those are things that KILL an OL.

And my disagreement with you is the idea that all of the pressure JG has experienced has been because the OL hasn't developed. He doesn't read D's well. He doesn't manage the pocket well. He holds the ball too long. Those are things that KILL an OL.
There is alot of blame to pass around. The OL has not been developed.

There is alot of blame to pass around. The OL has not been developed.
The OL would have looked a lot better if not for JG's issues. There is blame to go around... but JG shares a VERY big portion of the blame for the pressure he got.

I think he should just stick to watching movies

Totally plan to. I’m done revolving Saturdays around this garbage. Then I’ll come back here a spew more uninformed opinion because it’s the internet so why not.

Honestly, no disrespect to the kid. My point is this team is a lot more than a decent to avg QB away from being any good.

Both the sack and INT were Fr mistakes. He has to check that potential blitzer.

But he can learn and improve. The trouble with JG is that he's a 4th year player who still can't make those reads/plays.

Totally plan to. I’m done revolving Saturdays around this garbage. Then I’ll come back here a spew more uninformed opinion because it’s the internet so why not.

Honestly, no disrespect to the kid. My point is this team is a lot more than a decent to avg QB away from being any good.
So you think Maurer should be written off due to this performance in his first start as a true Fr against one of the best teams in the country? Maybe if Pruitt hadn't been fooled by JG's habit of looking great in practice then stinking in games like Jones was.... maybe Maurer would have taken the first 4 games to become a "decent" QB?

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
The OL would have looked a lot better if not for JG's issues. There is blame to go around... but JG shares a VERY big portion of the blame for the pressure he got.
I do not disagree. We have major dysfunction at every position. How can the highest paid coaching staff in CF put a product like this on the field. BM played well for his experience but was routinely put in bad positions to fail by this coaching staff tonight.

So you think Maurer should be written off due to this performance in his first start as a true Fr against one of the best teams in the country? Maybe if Pruitt hadn't been fooled by JG's habit of looking great in practice then stinking in games like Jones was.... maybe Maurer would have taken the first 4 games to become a "decent" QB?

Write him off? Nah... might as well role with him. But I don’t think he is going to magically make this team a winner. I also don’t think he is the future.

As for JG in practice, honestly I’m not sure what you expect a coach to do there. Part of practice is for coaches to evaluate their players. Generally speaking the guys that practice best, play best. Very very few exceptions to that. By all accounts not only did JG practice well but BM did not by a substantial margin.

I think Pruitt is in over his head in general but I’m not going to fault him for playing the guys that practice better than the guys behind them.

I can agree with you that there are more things than just QB that need fixing. I also know many people moving bon from UT football for awhile.

I am just happy he pulled the trigger on the change. Here is the deal, he said JG was the better player in the spring and fall practices. I believe that. I believe Maurer is a kid that plays better than he practices based on that. Say want you want about CJP but he doesn't water down his message. I don't fault him for playing JG but JG is clearly broken on game days. CJP seems to have seen that.

I agree with your comments although I haven’t read or heard much about Maurer’s practice level. I think he might turn out to be an above average SEC quarterback if we can get some more quality depth around him so that he’s not playing from behind all the time.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Write him off? Nah... might as well role with him. But I don’t think he is going to magically make this team a winner. I also don’t think he is the future.

As for JG in practice, honestly I’m not sure what you expect a coach to do there. Part of practice is for coaches to evaluate their players. Generally speaking the guys that practice best, play best. Very very few exceptions to that. By all accounts not only did JG practice well but BM did not by a substantial margin.

I think Pruitt is in over his head in general but I’m not going to fault him for playing the guys that practice better than the guys behind them.
He clearly played better than JG has all year in his first outing. It would be stupid to stick with JG when clearly the eye test in real games shows that Mauer is your best option. You either want somebody that looks like they want to be in there or you want a lifeless indecisive qb, not trying to knock JG but that is what he is. And even if Mauer isn't the so called future at least you are giving him a chance to develop, because no matter how it shakes you or me don't know for sure what he will be based on 1 game. But I darn well know what we are getting out of JG and the is less and less, he has regressed. GBO!!!!!

Reactions: UTSuave’

BUT at some point which is now when it never translates to the practice field you don't keep hitting your head against the wall. Good grief how much gametime failure do you need. The SEC is about winning, very few teams in the sec or other conferences for that matter would stick with JG that long. We've coddled to long and Mauer proved he is as ready as JG has ever been, he made mistakes which you would expect but he also made plays that JG hasn't made all year. It was clear to see that he deserves more time at Qb.

I can agree with you that there are more things than just QB that need fixing. I also know many people moving bon from UT football for awhile.

It’s not easy to just stop. I’ll never stop being a fan and keeping an eye on the team. Even though I chose to do something else with my family last night I still flipped the game on for minute once the movie was over.

GA State was my breaking point. I can’t let this pathetic excuse for an SEC football take over my Saturdays anymore. If there is something more fulfilling to do on a nice fall Saturday then I am going to choose that instead for awhile. Next week we will be hiking in VA.

It’s not easy to just stop. I’ll never stop being a fan and keeping an eye on the team. Even though I chose to do something else with my family last night I still flipped the game on for minute once the movie was over.

GA State was my breaking point. I can’t let this pathetic excuse for an SEC football take over my Saturdays anymore. If there is something more fulfilling to do on a nice fall Saturday then I am going to choose that instead for awhile. Next week we will be hiking in VA.
I have season tickets and well I sold 5 games. I have young kids and value time with them. Going to the game next week with my wife and joint friends. I still watch from home. I just get back all the hours before and after the game by watching from home.

I don’t even know who you’re talking about but why would you take Dilfer’s word?
Trent Dilfer May not have been the best QB but he’s probably the best QB coach I’ve ever met. That’s just being honest.

Ehhhh, our OL was so bad, I wouldn't go that far. JG contributed to the problem, but OL still had a lot, if not the most, to do with it.

VN Store

Back