I think there is reason for optimism

lawgator1

Watched most, albeit not all, of the first half of the UGA game then caught the second half on the road via XM.

For the first 28 minutes you more than held up, and in fact had the lead until 2 minutes to go in the first half. Jennings was outstanding and he and Maurer appear to me to have some chemistry. Granted, the game ended up lopsided by the end, but from this outsider's perspective that first half of excellent football is reason to think things are improving.

FWIW, I was the UF-UGA game last year and UF was in it until the 4th quarter. My sense was that at that point we just wore down and UGA continued to circulate in a bunch of 4 and 5 star talent, and that's how they win. Even if your starters can go toe to toe with them for 2-3 quarters, they will end up winning the game of attrition. That is arguably why you need to be behind Pruitt for at least one more year. Give him time to recruit the guys that can go in and keep a lid on things and maybe even shine while the starters get a breather.

At any rate, as I say, I know it's not where you want to be but it was definitely a significant step in the right direction.

Watched most, albeit not all, of the first half of the UGA game then caught the second half on the road via XM.

For the first 28 minutes you more than held up, and in fact had the lead until 2 minutes to go in the first half. Jennings was outstanding and he and Maurer appear to me to have some chemistry. Granted, the game ended up lopsided by the end, but from this outsider's perspective that first half of excellent football is reason to think things are improving.

FWIW, I was the UF-UGA game last year and UF was in it until the 4th quarter. My sense was that at that point we just wore down and UGA continued to circulate in a bunch of 4 and 5 star talent, and that's how they win. Even if your starters can go toe to toe with them for 2-3 quarters, they will end up winning the game of attrition. That is arguably why you need to be behind Pruitt for at least one more year. Give him time to recruit the guys that can go in and keep a lid on things and maybe even shine while the starters get a breather.

At any rate, as I say, I know it's not where you want to be but it was definitely a significant step in the right direction.
We are going 1-11 or 2-10 not much to be optimistic about.

Reactions: Catbone
LOL, in retrospect it could have been less conspicuous, I suppose.

Like your Avatar?!?!

giphy.gif

A trend has to start somewhere and it sure looked to me like a corner was turned. May not translate to a lot of wins this year, but seems like it should heading into next year.
LOL, good try. You can't win on this site right now. If you trash the team, they'll hate you for it. If you offer encouragement, they'll hate you for it. They're just miserable. Let it go.

Giving you a like goes against every instinct in my being. It violates the fundamental tenets taught to me by my father which were taught to him by his father. It makes me feel dirty. But I gave you a like anyway.

CJP is not the guy to lead us to championships. However, there is improvement noted in our team against UGA. We are saddled with this man through next year at a minimum. And likely even into 2021. There is no sense in beating the same drum of despair. There was improvement. Only through the lens of time will we know if the team which showed up last Saturday is the team we are. I hope it is. I hope we can build on what began against UGA.

Now back to your swamp, vile reptile!!!

Giving you a like goes against every instinct in my being. It violates the fundamental tenets taught to me by my father which were taught to him by his father. It makes me feel dirty. But I gave you a like anyway.

CJP is not the guy to lead us to championships. However, there is improvement noted in our team against UGA. We are saddled with this man through next year at a minimum. And likely even into 2021. There is no sense in beating the same drum of despair. There was improvement. Only through the lens of time will we know if the team which showed up last Saturday is the team we are. I hope it is. I hope we can build on what began against UGA.

The important thing here is the only team left on our schedule of that caliber is Bama. If 1st half Georgia game UT shows up all game long in the remaining games this season we can possibly make a bowl. If we look flat, we'll be lucky to win 3 games.

The important thing here is the only team left on our schedule of that caliber is Bama. If 1st half Georgia game UT shows up all game long in the remaining games this season we can possibly make a bowl. If we look flat, we'll be lucky to win 3 games.
You speak truth when you speak of Bama's caliber. However, even if we play well on the offensive side for a full game, eventually our lack of quality depth will show up on the defensive side. Heck, it will likely show up on the offensive side, too.
At some point, we will have to concede a bowl game isn't in the cards for us this year. We are at 1-5 right now. Bama is a loss. It is unlikely we win the 5 remaining games we should "be competitive with". The odds of us at 6-6 for the year have to be microscopic.

Reactions: savannahfan

Me too, but I agree with him 🤣

Reactions: McDad

I’m not pretending that Pruitt is Nick Saban but even elite coaches can start out slow with incremental improvement. Saban at Michigan State started off with very incremental improvement his first few years. At LSU he lost to UAB, at Bama he lost to Louisiana Monroe. Good coaches take a long time to become elite coaches. Saban had several stops before becoming a big time head coach including a stop under Belichek as DC for him.
Again I’m not saying Pruitt will ever be at his level but it’s hard to judge him this early when he was kind of thrown into the deep end of the pool.

And if I point out every bit of good that happened Saturday your first answer is Georgia State

It’s old and tired at this point and I’ve been on both sides of the “fence”.

Ummm, no. My only criticism from Saturday is the team still struggles mightily at beginning and end of halves. Any criticisms are from the fact this isnt any better than last year where we stunk in this area.

Go back and read our exchange from the Friday night off topic thread and see exactly how I thought the game would go and how that almost aligned with how the game turned out.

I’m not pretending that Pruitt is Nick Saban but even elite coaches can start out slow with incremental improvement. Saban at Michigan State started off with very incremental improvement his first few years. At LSU he lost to UAB, at Bama he lost to Louisiana Monroe. Good coaches take a long time to become elite coaches. Saban had several stops before becoming a big time head coach including a stop under Belichek as DC for him.
Again I’m not saying Pruitt will ever be at his level but it’s hard to judge him this early when he was kind of thrown into the deep end of the pool.
I'm judging him early so I can beat the Christmas rush.

Reactions: stephp4ut
Ummm, no. My only criticism from Saturday is the team still struggles mightily at beginning and end of halves. Any criticisms are from the fact this isnt any better than last year where we stunk in this area.

Go back and read our exchange from the Friday night off topic thread and see exactly how I thought the game would go and how that almost aligned with how the game turned out.

You and I both know what fixes closing out halfs and Tennessee doesent have it yet: Depth.

VN Store

Back