Getting to six... how?

There’s just too much noise around this program in every area for me to buy into winning 5 of 6 winnable games. I wish I was wrong.

Reactions: CAVPUT
Lots of people are all of a sudden talking about the possibility of 6-6 and a bowl invite. So out of Mississippi State, Alabama, South Carolina, UAB, Kentucky, Missouri, and Vanderbilt, which five do the Vols beat to get there?

Honestly, I don't see 5. I don't see 3. We have a shot with UAB and Vandy. We are not going to beat even an average SEC team.

Reactions: SKBubba
We’ve lost 4 games by a combined 71 points. That averages out to us losing by basically 18 points per game. That wouldn’t be so bad during the upcoming stretch of games, but that number includes GAST and BYU. Knowing what you know of our team, seeing the product on the field thus far, and seeing the above stat.... how in the world can anyone be talking about a freaking bowl game. We played a decent half against Georgia and you’re all crazy enough to think that means we are going to win 5 of our next 7 games. We bring the embarrassment on ourselves with conversations like this.

Reactions: zydane47
I think it's funny we play a good half against UGA and suddenly we're going to beat all these teams who in reality are as good if not better than us. There's a big difference in these games being "winnable" and "we're going to win". This isn't old UT. You're out of your mind if you're chalking up UK, SC, and Vandy as wins already. The biggest reason being, there is no given that because we played Georgia well for a half that it equals playing great a whole game against other teams. Last year we beat Auburn and UK and laid eggs against Mizzou and Vandy. I mean Kansas played OU well for about a half and I doubt any of you think they're going bowling.

If we lose to MSU then we're not going bowling, and in reality that means we are probably headed to another 4-8 or worse season.

Last edited:
Lots of people are all of a sudden talking about the possibility of 6-6 and a bowl invite. So out of Mississippi State, Alabama, South Carolina, UAB, Kentucky, Missouri, and Vanderbilt, which five do the Vols beat to get there?
6 wins between this year and next.

We aren't getting to 6. We will probably get to 2. I think after we lose to South Carolina and get to 1-7 our fans will finally get past the denial stage.

Reactions: zydane47
I think it's funny we play a good half against UGA and suddenly we're going to beat all these teams who in reality are as good if not better than us. There's a big difference in these games being "winnable" and "we're going to win". This isn't old UT. You're out of your midn if you're chalking up UK, SC, and Vandy as wins already. The biggest reason being, there is no given that because we played Georgia well for a half that it equals playing great a whole game against other teams. Last year we beat Auburn and UK and laid eggs against Mizzou and Vandy. I mean Kansas played OU well for about a half and I doubt any of you think they're going bowling.

If we lose to MSU then we're not going bowling, and in reality that means we are probably headed to another 4-8 or worse season.

This.

Not to be a smart aleck, but they need to just play consistently well first.

Let’s see if they have the focus and maturity to play hard two consecutive weeks.

Will they play with the same energy for a noon game against Mississippi State that they did against Georgia at night?

I think it's funny we play a good half against UGA and suddenly we're going to beat all these teams who in reality are as good if not better than us. There's a big difference in these games being "winnable" and "we're going to win". This isn't old UT. You're out of your mind if you're chalking up UK, SC, and Vandy as wins already. The biggest reason being, there is no given that because we played Georgia well for a half that it equals playing great a whole game against other teams. Last year we beat Auburn and UK and laid eggs against Mizzou and Vandy. I mean Kansas played OU well for about a half and I doubt any of you think they're going bowling.

I agree, to get 6 wins miss st is a must win

People are just getting optimistic because we won the first quarter yesterday.
Which, if we're honest, is the 1st time this year we've seen that dynamic against a stout opponent. The hope is improvement will continue. We'll play a full half. Then a game. Learning to win takes time.

None, we’re not beating any unless coaching makes a drastic turnaround.

The SEC consists of some really good teams: Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Florida, and maybe Auburn. The rest of the league is pretty pedestrian. All the games you listed are certainly winnable except for Alabama. Of course, UT could lose to each of them.

If you add a couple win from next year to this year, youll get six

Missouri will stop us. I am not feeling good about Miss State because of the bye week. Alabama won't happen and is laughable to talk about. We can beat UAB, Vandy, and UK. That leaves South Carolina to finish 5-7. I don't see 6-6 happening. I am looking at 4-8 or worse.
I feel better with Mstate more so than before the Georgia game. It would not surprise me at all that we win, or not!

Impossible

Need a win against Miss State to really stay in the conversation. Alabama is almost certainly a loss. The rest are winnable with Missouri being a long shot depending on the status of Kelly.
Good post. Miss. State will be for all the marbles. Win this game and things "could" turn around. Lose that game and we 0 forever in SEC play this year.

We don't need six, we only need 5, there are so many bowls now. Crappy teams now have bowls-5 wins-you can be in.

This team, with the start they have had, seemingly chemistry issues, lack of early offense, and heavy inexperienced roster...5 wins would be a good season and good finish. IF they do the not likely and go 5-1 on the last six games, we can say they overachieved...

VN Store

Back