Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
@HankHill It's my memory that Crompton has a really rough start to 09...culminating with a BAD Auburn game. Then, against UGA, he played lights out and pretty well rest of season. Question is, in your opinion, did Chaney/Kiffin change something, did the team change around him, or did the light switch come on the last half of the season?

Ya'll got some bad orange colored blinders on for Crompton.

He had just 3 games in 2009 where he threw for over 60% completion percentage. "oh but that's not the end all for a QB"....well he only had 4 games with 250 or more yards passing that season. Oh wait, there's more in 5 games he threw for 1 TD or less and AT LEAST 1 INT in each of those games.

Defense (thanks Fulmer/Chavis/Monte) and the rushing game (thanks Fulmer) are the only reason 2009 wasn't a complete disaster of a season, Chaney/Kiffin got something outta Crompton but it wasn't like he became an elite QB...would argue he wasn't much above average in his best season here.

58.3% 2800 yards, 27 TDs and 13 INTs (10 TDs coming against Memphis & Western Kentucky). He had 3 games where he played insane, Western Kentucky, Georgia, & Memphis...those 3 games accounted for 874 passing yards and 14 TDs with 3 INTs hitting on 62 of 82 or 75.6%

Reactions: LaagerVol
So nothing changed, Crompton just started playing better/hitting the deep routes IYO?

Remember lane was calling plays and coaching QBs. Chaneys big thing was working with the OL which he did a great job of and is doing a good job this year. But it was just a totally different offense. Lane loved pounding the rock, throwing to his backs in the flats, rolling the pocket and doing flood routes, and taking shots off play action. Crompton was 10x the athlete JG is and i thought his best quality was he had great touch on the ball. So all those flats, floods, and occasional shots was right up cromptons alley. So I just think crompton fit what Kiffin was asking to do far more than JG fits what Chaney is asking him to do.

Reactions: SlappyVol
So you have no faith Maurer , Shrout or the Maryland transfer can fill the position until Harris is ready?
the fact that bass is literally putting every egg he has in an incoming freshman QBs basket before he even gets on campus tells you all you need to know.

So you have no faith Maurer , Shrout or the Maryland transfer can fill the position until Harris is ready?
No. Maurer is likely going to win the job this year. That means Shrout is out for next year. I gave my reasons for having no faith in Hill. He isn't mobile and he isn't a good passer. He's a walk on for a reason. Maurer could end up being good, but he isn't right now. He needs time to develop. He isn't ready. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, I hope he does. But landing an elite transfer like the guys I mentioned allows Maurer a year to redshirt and then compete with Bailey and whoever we add in the 2021 class for the starting job in 2021. Nothing would help us more than adding a big time QB transfer. Just imagine if we had one of those guys this year. If we had Hurts, Fields, or Eason where would we be right now? That's what we need for next year imo.

Honestly, that Georgia game isn't exactly one I wanna remember. Cause I was at a b-day party getting updates on my phone why a bandwagon Bama fan kept asking how UT was doing. Georgia went up on that Hail Mary as he watched the update on my phone. Smug bastard told me "tough break" and then I was in a terrible mode having wasted my day at a lame party for kids/people we barely know or see and then in the car ride to my mother-in-laws I hear the catch by Jennings.

Arrive just in time to see the replay.

I was super disappointed we gave up the first big play...but those deep passes to lose games were the norm under Butch Jones, now looking back.

the fact that bass is literally putting every egg he has in an incoming freshman QBs basket before he even gets on campus tells you all you need to know.
That’s a real bad interpretation...film guy! He explicitly stated that going with a true freshman was NOT the way to go. 😏

Ya'll got some bad orange colored blinders on for Crompton.

He had just 3 games in 2009 where he threw for over 60% completion percentage. "oh but that's not the end all for a QB"....well he only had 4 games with 250 or more yards passing that season. Oh wait, there's more in 5 games he threw for 1 TD or less and AT LEAST 1 INT in each of those games.

Defense (thanks Fulmer/Chavis/Monte) and the rushing game (thanks Fulmer) are the only reason 2009 wasn't a complete disaster of a season, Chaney/Kiffin got something outta Crompton but it wasn't like he became an elite QB...would argue he wasn't much above average in his best season here.

58.3% 2800 yards, 27 TDs and 13 INTs (10 TDs coming against Memphis & Western Kentucky). He had 3 games where he played insane, Western Kentucky, Georgia, & Memphis...those 3 games accounted for 874 passing yards and 14 TDs with 3 INTs hitting on 62 of 82 or 75.6%

I didn't interpret from the OP that Crompton became "elite." I do think they made some tweaks with him after the Auburn game. They gave him less to think about and used alot of rollouts and play action. It helped the offense.

As stated, they relied on the running game, and that helped as well. Looking back at the UGA game, UGA scored 16 of their 19 points on defense or special teams. That was a butt whooping.

While I don’t have an issue with building the foundation of any recruiting class with instate talent, it seems like it would waste the supposed advantage that Pruitt and this staff bring with him - we’re paying all this money to get talent that a cheaper and frankly better coaching staff could have a good success rate with.[/QUOT
IMO, you're paying all that money to get better players than you otherwise could. Makes sense now that locking up the state has become preferred to the alternative

Jack Sears seems the highest rated, good size and a pro-style. Would fit Chaney perfect, and I wonder if Tee has any ties there?

A few other names, Cade Fortin from UNC just a 3 star though...Keytaon Thompson from Miss. State will be a Grad Transfer it looks like was a 4 star coming out, hasn't played much.

Pretty slim pickings at the moment...I guess King from Houston would be the "steal" for QB in the transfer market, but he may have also decided to RS to prepare for the NFL draft.
Thompson has always impressed me. He's come in a lot of games at State and performed well with poise. Problem is that he appears to be bad in practice and is not a very consistent thrower.

Reactions: RiotVol
How far does this revenue off of players' likeness go? I think the ncaa will do things to try to prevent this from snowballing and losing what power they think they hold. It could bring about an entire landscape change in college football.

Think about this... After the worst decade in UT football history from '09-'19, it could be a window for us to jump back into the spotlight. There will be stipulations/bylaws/etc I'm sure, but lets be honest- more than likely there will be schools who use it as leverage during recruiting and bidding wars could ensue for top talent, which is exactly what WE should hope for imo.

We are one of the top revenue producing football universities nationally every year, and thats a credit directly to this fanbase. We should be able to throw the bags with anyone lol. On the other hand, UT has never been big on spending, only raking it in. Hmmm, maybe not good for us. Gonna be an interesting development and possible game changer if the movement carries on.

I remember 2009 as the year Montario Hardesty took over. Watching Crompton was nearly as infuriating as watching JG for me. The games we ran the ball well and stopped the run we won, the games where that didn't happen we lost.

Defense, OL & RB play were the highlights. Crompton had those 3 games where he played lights out, but otherwise he was frustrating at QB despite Lane/Chaney game-planning to his strengths

We're not hiring a new coach. You guys can stop wasting your time with that topic. Please.

What we need is a transfer QB. Think of how different the season would be going had we landed Hurts, Fields, Eason, or Bryant. We'd be 3-1 if not 4-0 and the outlook on Pruitt and this team would be way different. That's what we need for next year. I love Bailey, but I'd rather not play a freshman if we don't have to, especially when we play OU next year. We need to do what OU did this year: bring in a difference making transfer and redshirt Bailey like they are Rattler so that he can develop, mature, and learn the system.

Is there one out there that anyone knows of that might be looking around? A former big time recruit who didn't win the starting job as a freshman like Fields? Or a really good QB that just got beat out by a superstar like Bryant? Bentley is probably transferring from SC. Not an elite QB, but better than anyone we have imo. Jack Sears is transferring from USC. Is he any good? Are there any more?

Landing a big time transfer QB could really change what this team is capable of in 2020.
Looking at the portal now:

Peyton Powell - Baylor, DT 6'2" 180lbs 4* FR
Jack Sears - USC, PRO 6'3" 205lbs 4* SO
Lindsey Scott - Mizzou/Nicholls State, PRO 5'11" 210lbs 3* JR
Jack Haener - Fresno State/Washington, PRO 6'0" 193lbs 3* SO
Keytaon Thompson - Miss State, DT 6'4" 225lbs 4* JR
Cade Fortin - UNC, PRO 6'3" 220lbs 3* FR

Idk about rumblings on anyone else. I'd be happy with Thompson, Sears, or maybe Powell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back