Question for former UT alumni.

I was at UTK during Phil Fulmer, Lane Kiffin, and Derek Dooley. I miss that Lane Kiffin year. Haven't felt the same energy since.

Reactions: Memvol44
Do you recall the Vol football team to ever be any worse predicament than it is currently?

I go back to the '60s and I can recall some dark times in Tennessee football but none that seemed as inauspicious as our current predicament.

Just my own take; our current situation has a feel similar to a rebuild of a program after receiving the death penalty. It'll be a long. slow climb out of the abyss I'm afraid.

But Butch had it worse than any coach ever had before or would again. The dumpster fire Butch Jones inherited was the worst ever in the history of the world of Athletics and would never be surpassed.

Or so we were told.
His results would not have been close had it not been for the amazing emergence and improvement of Josh Dobbs. Without his ability to make up for horrendous OL play and questionable receivers, BJ would not have had back to back 9 win seasons. Look at the results when Dobbs wasn't there his last year as UTs HC.

Reactions: AM64 and VOL6479
Or this gem from 2014.
Yeah, your point is? We had a terrible coach leave an empty cupboard and a brick layer that rode the coat tails of a rare QB running talent to look better than he was. BJ then used a scorched earth policy to try and destroy the program before crawling on his knees to Nick Saban to try and learn how to coach a team. Butch Jones is the only coach that has actually actually stopped me from watching a season of UT football half way in.

Reactions: AM64
I was at UT during the first few Johnny Major years and they were bad. But, somehow, this feels worse! I always felt like there was a chance we would win. Now, not so much. There seems to me to be a different mentality presently. IMO, these players have forgotten how to win and unfortunately, some appear to me that they don't care if they win. Plus we’re missing some serious talent in some key positions.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDV
I think the 1988 0-6 start probably ranks right up there. Did you watch any of the Bill Battle led teams once he got through the previous coach's players? How about Johnny Majors first 4 years when he was sub .500. Anyone that looks back past the 90's can see that there have been ups and downs.

The late Battle years were my thought, too. Those were like thinking we'd reached the bottom of the hole and realizing it was still a lot deeper. Battle was a good guy, became a very good Bama AD, but he just couldn't coach ... or recruit.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
The late 50s/early 60s were worse (Doug Dickey to the rescue), the mid 70s were worse (Johnny Majors to the rescue), 1988 we started 0-6, 1989 won the SEC, 1994 started 1-3, including a 31-0 loss to Florida in Fulmer's first full year. Peyton Manning became the starter mid season and led us to a resounding 10-9 victory over lowly Washington State. He then missed a wide open receiver (threw the other way) in the end zone at the end of the game that would have beaten Alabama. Then 95-01 we were the best in a half century. This team has plenty of talent. They just need to grow and start believing in themselves. The sky is not falling. Just need a good QB, a John Henderson, and a little time to be back at the top.

Reactions: BigDave and AM64
My wife became a former alumni by never sending money to her graduate school. They haven't asked for money in a while.

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back