Question for former UT alumni.

I think the 1988 0-6 start probably ranks right up there. Did you watch any of the Bill Battle led teams once he got through the previous coach's players? How about Johnny Majors first 4 years when he was sub .500. Anyone that looks back past the 90's can see that there have been ups and downs.

I am an alum from the 70's and I second Pride85's post above. There have been several times the FB program has hit stretches of bad to mediocre FB. This is by no means the worst, yet. I don't think the fire Pruitt crowd is accepting how bad the program Pruitt inherited was. Of course the total collapse of JG was unexpected and has just added to Pruitt's rebuild process. I truly believe better days are ahead.

But Butch had it worse than any coach ever had before or would again. The dumpster fire Butch Jones inherited was the worst ever in the history of the world of Athletics and would never be surpassed.

Or so we were told.
Its gonna be really weird when all the coach x was left a mess by Pruitt threads begin..

Butch won plenty before coming to save this dumpster fire. So your theory is a little flawed. Plus, this is uncharted territory for rebuilds. Attempt to bring a school back to title contention in the best league in CFB with A roster that was literally no better than UK or Vandy. Oh, and do it in 30 games. The only school in this league that is comparable and has achieved in recent times is Ole Miss...and I'm not sure their roster was as depleted as ours. But he did one hell of a job.

See? This was in 2015.

I think the 1988 0-6 start probably ranks right up there. Did you watch any of the Bill Battle led teams once he got through the previous coach's players? How about Johnny Majors first 4 years when he was sub .500. Anyone that looks back past the 90's can see that there have been ups and downs.
I think the late 70s are a perfect comparison. I've heard Majors talk about how shocked he was at what he found when he got the job in 1977.

Its gonna be really weird when all the coach x was left a mess by Pruitt threads begin..
It's a lock that it will happen. Constant excuses and constantly in a rebuild. Tennessee HC job is the best in the world. You don't have to be good, you get paid millions, and the expectations are low.

Reactions: volfannbama
Oh and these from the Dooley years...never changes:
My problem with this is that IF coach Dooley is fired and the next coach comes in and benefits from the depth and excellent talent left behind the CD critics will say "told ya it was coaching look at what coach X is
doing". It's is an injustice to coach Dooley considering the dumpster fire he was left with and empty cabinets IMO. Once CD get his guys in there it will all start coming together.
Derek Dooley did not "destroy the program." He walked into a dumpster fire, put it out, but that's it. He couldn't improve upon anything in the program after stopping the free fall.

VN Store

Back