Yall remember when many wanted Fuente

I thought Fuente would have been a good choice at the time. And honestly, there are times when circumstances and things beyond your control have a big impact on your success.

I also remember when some of us were pretty warm to having Cut come back as UT's HC. Seems the head honchos did not want to let him choose his own staff... He's made Duke respectable. What might he have done at UT?

Where are you going to find one? Those guys rarely change jobs. You act like there are top head coaches ready and waiting to leave their established program high paying jobs for a rebuild that will pay the same or possibly less.

And the thing is every coach starts out as a guy with little to no head coach experience. Take a look at the current top 25....

2019 College Football Rankings for Week 5 | ESPN

Dabo Swinney- Coordinator with no HC experience that was promoted to head coach.
Saban- self explanatory.
Kirby Smart- Saban coordinator with no head coaching experience prior to UGA.
Ed Orgeron- Ole Miss was his first HC job. He's doing well at LSU so far.
Ryan Day at Ohio St- No head coaching experience and was promoted after Urban retired.
Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma- No HC experience and promoted.
Gus Malzahn- He was Arkansas St's HC before Auburn. They took a chance on a non power 5 guy and it's worked well.
Paul Chryst- Was Pitt head coach before Wisconsin. HC experience but not major school exp.
Dan Mullen- Miss St HC experience before Florida.
Bryan Kelly- Central Mich and Cinn HC before Notre Dame. Not sure he would have been called A-List before Notre dame
Tom Herman- Houston HC before Texas.
James Franklin- Vandy HC before Penn St.
Mario Cristobal- No HC exp prior to Oregon.
Kirk Ferentz- Maine HC from 90-92. Otherwise position coach/coordinator
Justin Wilcox- No HC prior to Cal.
Bryan Harsin- Ark St head coach prior to Boise St.
Chris Peterson- Boise St head coach prior to Washington
Bronco Mendenhall- BYU head coach prior to Virginia
Kyle Wittingham- No HC experience prior to Utah
Jim Harbaugh- Wide variety of NFL and college HC experience prior to Michigan
Clay Helton- No head coach exp prior to USC. Did interim a small amount.
Josh Heupel- No HC experience prior to UCF.
Jimbo Fisher- FSU head coach prior to A&M
Chris Klieman- North Dakota St HC prior to Kansas St
Mark Dantonio- Cincinnati HC prior to Mich St

Pretty much all of these guys were not proven A-List Power 5 head coaches when they got their current job. How many would I say were A-List proven Power 5 head coaches as you think is required when they got their current job?

Saban- proven college coach and Bama lucked out he was unhappy in the NFL
Peterson- Yea it's Boise St, but he took them to top 5 rankings and BCS bowl game wins.
Harbaugh- A lot of HC experience in college and NFL. Moved from the NFL and came home to Michigan
Fisher- NC winner at FSU and became unhappy there.

There were some guys that had success at smaller programs as head coaches but their experience is very similar to what we saw in Butch. Malzahn, Kelly, Herman, Mullen, Chryst for example. Many of those guys were only coordinators.

You want a proven A-List power 5 head coach? You have to luck out and be the guy that finds him for the most part.
Luck out? That’s exactly the attitude I’m calling out.

Two of those proven HCs are available RIGHT NOW in Meyer and Stoops. And others currently employed like Miles will listen to the right offer.

We have to TARGET our guy and go after him with everything we’ve got. Not frantically run around in a panic interviewing 20 unprovens among whoever is available atm after the current guy finally craps out. That’s the losers death spiral we’re currently in,

Bama did this 12 years ago when they went after Saban who was floundering in the NFL at Miami. Their HC carousel had become a clown circus after 4 loser HCs in a row including a guy who got fired before coaching a single game. The rest is history.

All you’re doing is providing more useless rationalizations and faux analyses about how something can’t be done instead of recognizing that it can be done and in fact quite easily if you’re willing to do whatever it takes to achieve your goals and won’t take no for an answer.

Reactions: wlkx
Yeah, but their recruiting is so bad, they just cant get it done. Duke is widely known as the worst college in the us for football. I dont watch a ton of their games, but.catch some for time to time. Thier team is usually fundamentally sound, they simply dont have good players, and not like this myth we have floating around here, they actually dont get good.players. Daniel Jones was good, but that is it off last years team.
No, sorry. I was referring to VT. Fuente did more with Beamers players then he has done with his own.

And the narrative there was very similar to how it is here. "Beamer didn't leave any talent. Can't start winning until we get talent".

Hasn't worked out that way.

I thought Fuente would have been a good choice at the time. And honestly, there are times when circumstances and things beyond your control have a big impact on your success.

I also remember when some of us were pretty warm to having Cut come back as UT's HC. Seems the head honchos did not want to let him choose his own staff... He's made Duke respectable. What might he have done at UT?
Probably not much. I don't think Cut has the resolve to run a major program. I don't think there is any part of him that wants to. It's just a completely different game. But he's certainly done an outstanding job.

Anyway. I used to live right outside Blacksburg. And I follow them pretty closely. I thought Fuente was a homerun at the time. Clearly I was wrong. We will see how much longer me makes it. VT is nowhere near here in terms of fan/booster expectations, but they expect to compete for ACC titles. Getting outclassed by UVA in football isn't going to sit well with anyone up there.

Reactions: wlkx
Fuente is failing fast at VT. There’s been an exodus of the team’s best talent since he arrived and he can’t recruit at a top ACC level. And that’s just for starters.

It’s been evident at VT for almost two years that Fuente is a bad fit and isn’t the guy but like most FB programs (especially ours) VT sat back did nothing and let their HC finally drive their program into the ditch and now they’re gonna be forced to pull the trigger when things are at their worst.

Firing Fuente in the midst of chaos will force VT to make a desperation HC hire in a very heated public process with a divided fan base. And voila VT’s path to future mediocrity will be assured. Sound familiar?

BUT BUT that’s not fair, Fuente needed at least this much time if not MORE, nobody has a crystal ball to predict the future (despite all who could see this 2 years ago), he doesn’t have his players yet, the buyout is too big, VT doesn’t have the $...ETC ETC ad nauseam.

Fuente is performing kinda like I’d expect from a former Memphis HC. Why many Volfans don’t seem to get this basic concept is beyond me.

Could Fuente have been a home run hire? Sure he could have, just like Butch possibly could have been. But when you reach down and take a chance on B and C list HC projects or promote the latest hot coordinator or are even willing to take rejects from other programs or the NFL, then “taking a chance” is EXACTLY what you’re doing with your program.

The cure? Just. Stop.

When TN finally gets its head out of its as$ and decides to quit screwing around with the next hot commodity and instead hire a proven A-list P5 HC to turn our program around then we’ll be back to winning the very next year. Same for VT. That’s the answer.

Only VT’s chances of pulling this off are significantly less than TN’s even today after we’ve let Pruitt run our program even farther into the ditch. Unlike VT, TN has the history bona fides and $$ to fix our mistake if we recognize the truth and act fast while top HC talent is currently available.

But solving a problem requires recognizing what the problem actually is first. Too many are still clinging to Pruitt for any one of a dozen lame / bogus excuses take your pick.

Let’s see how Volnation feels after we get curb stomped by GA next. I’ll read all the usual “this is unacceptable” posts from many of the same people during and after the slaughter who’ll then turn around a few days later and proclaim it’s somebody else’s fault and Pruitt just needs more time or we just can’t afford to make a change yada yada yawn.

So the cycle rinses and repeats. Until we decide otherwise.

Name me all the proven A-list P5 HC candidates that will come here. I'll hang up and listen.

Hmmm something seems strange here. So Fuente had a conference title in 2014 and came to VT with a winning recrord. His first 2 seasons at VT were kind of successful but now he is failing fast. So whats the problem?

Fuente did an amazing job at Memphis but he's in over head at VT. He was never known as a good recruiter at TCU or Memphis and that is showing up at VT.

His lack of recruiting at TCU was one reason Fuente was on Hammy's list of assistants Patterson would have had to upgrade if Patterson came here..

Luck out? That’s exactly the attitude I’m calling out.

Two of those proven HCs are available RIGHT NOW in Meyer and Stoops. And others currently employed like Miles will listen to the right offer.
What makes you think Stoops would come back to college right now? The reasons he left college coaching at Oklahoma would be even worse at Tennessee. Besides he already has a HC/GM job with an XFL team. No recruiting. No NCAA regulations. No travel. Less work hours required.

Meyer? Maybe he would get back into coaching but I don't think it would be us regardless of money. If he wants to come back it will be a job he's waiting on or somewhere less competitive. I don't think it's a coincidence he returned to coaching outside the SEC.

Miles is someone I wouldn't have been against, but there's something about him that nobody wanted. You don't go to Kansas because you had so many job offers to choose from. He might be one of those guys that a team can get because the opportunity is there. I'm not sold that he's the problem solver of all our woes though. He's 65 and probably won't be in the game much longer.

Last edited:
What makes you think Stoops would come back to college right now? The reasons he left college coaching at Oklahoma would be even worse at Tennessee.

Meyer? Maybe he would get back into coaching but I don't think it would be us regardless of money. If he wants to come back it will be a job he's waiting on or somewhere less competitive. I don't think it's a coincidence he returned to coaching outside the SEC.

Miles is someone I wouldn't have been against, but there's something about him that nobody wanted. You don't go to Kansas because you had so many job offers to choose from. He might be one of those guys that a team can get because the opportunity is there. I'm not sold that he's the problem solver of all our woes though. He's 65 and probably won't be in the game much longer.

Stoops is definitely interested in coming back to CFB. I've heard a couple of interviews and you can tell he'd come back for the right school. However, I think he is FSU bound.

Meyer is coming back as well but he's going to wait out USC or FSU. Meyer isnt coming to UT since it's not an easy fix...

Fuente struggling at VT is one of the most surprising coaching stories IMO. I honestly think his Memphis teams could beat his VT teams.

And it's not he's facing a Murderer's Row of opponents every year in the ACC Coastal. Just weird contrasting how ridiculously successful he was at Memphis versus how mediocre he's been at a school with a much greater history, resources, facilities, access to top recruits, etc.
Fit is a real thing. Ed O sucked at Ole Miss, he’s killing it at LSU. He actually recruited well at OM as well.

Stoops is definitely interested in coming back to CFB. I've heard a couple of interviews and you can tell he'd come back for the right school. However, I think he is FSU bound.

Meyer is coming back as well but he's going to wait out USC or FSU. Meyer isnt coming to UT since it's not an easy fix...
IF we could get Stoops then that would be a great move. I wasn't considering him because he quit college coaching just two years ago and has a job in professional football. He has to be unhappy with that and want to return to college coaching similar to Saban.

To me, this doesn't sound like he's itching to come back to college. More like he wouldn't say never but isn't considering it either.

Stoops will return to coaching next year, when he serves as the general manager and coach of the Dallas Renegades in the rebooted XFL. But will we ever see the 10-time Big 12 champion back in college football?

"Well we'll see," Stoops said in an interview with Clay Travis on Friday. "I believe when I stepped away, if I wanted to continue to coach in college, I would've stayed at Oklahoma. I just felt I had run my course there, and, you know, just needed some time and space of my own. And I got that. Right now I'm excited about the adventure going into the XFL. Starting from scratch is really exciting as well. So we'll see where it leads. I know everybody loves to...they want you to define your life from year to year, and everybody always wants forever and never. And I don't know how you ever say that. You just never know what the good Lord's going to bring."

Bob Stoops: 'We'll see' on potential return to college coaching

Fuente struggling at VT is one of the most surprising coaching stories IMO. I honestly think his Memphis teams could beat his VT teams.

And it's not he's facing a Murderer's Row of opponents every year in the ACC Coastal. Just weird contrasting how ridiculously successful he was at Memphis versus how mediocre he's been at a school with a much greater history, resources, facilities, access to top recruits, etc.
I think the talented players are going to more schools now with the growth of Internet and sport channels a kid can go to any school and still go pro. College football teams are starting to be like the NFL and any my team can win on any given day.

Reactions: GordonC

VN Store

Back