The Impeachment Thread

Dems lose again!
orson-welles3.jpg

The RNC’s strategy: "The only strategy is a washed-out version of ’16: call the Democrats crooked up, down, and sideways. Beat the drum for the base and suppress turnout just enough to squeak through."

It's not even a verbatim transcript. It's based on "recollections", not real time documentation. I'm failing to see the value of this release and how it can exonerate him in any way. It can only implicate him, which it has. Maybe not impeachment-worthy but it's definitely not nothing.

Per Fox News:

"The document, declassified by Trump a day earlier, indicates that the call – which Trump made from the White House residence -- took place July 25 from 9:03 a.m. to 9:33 a.m. A notation on the memo says it does not represent a "verbatim transcript" but is based on "notes and recollections" of those listening and memorializing the call. It is still presented in transcript form."
No. The transcript represents the conversation as it occurred and was transcribed by the people monitoring the call. The footnote makes this clear and it fact uses the example of “inaudible” if the scribes did not understand correctly. I never saw the word “inaudible” in the transcript thus I will infer that the footnote which is inspiring so much brouhaha is a standard footnote describing the transcription process.

I’m guessing after Nixon nobody will ever see an actual recording of an actual conversation again.

Reactions: AM64 and davethevol
Well, your favorite sources won't touch anything that isn't anti-Trump.

You mean my crazy liberal sources like Fox News contributor Judge Andrew Napolitano? You bested me again, '72! I'll add another beer to the tally I owe you when Tennessee football is good and politics is boring again.

I was basically just bitching to be honest . It’s the same thing daily in here for the most part . I have a growing loathing for all of them . Our congress is a joke . We can pick apart any and all presidents for the stupid things they do but congress is supposed to set the discussion to make the laws that make our country better . Believe it or not radical changes is not what we need to get both sides to work together on issues . Congress doesn’t need the president ( any president ) to do their jobs . They need to work together .
I read it as a defense.

Whataboutism softens criticisms of one by comparing him to another.

If they were both truly believed to be equal, then the initial defense of comparing Trump to Obama would accomplish nothing. It would be pointless and nobody who believed them to be equal would ever feel compelled to make the comparison to Obama.

Trying to volley back and forth between “but Obama” and “just like any other politician,” as a defense or mitigation of Trumpism, is a sign that the defender has simply picked two arguments out of a hat and hasn’t bothered to think through whether or not the two are compatible. It’s a sign of blind, tribal partisanship. Which, was the target of the post you initially responded to.

Perhaps I was overzealous in making my point and misread things.

No. The transcript represents the conversation as it occurred and was transcribed by the people monitoring the call. The footnote makes this clear and it fact uses the example of “inaudible” if the scribes did not understand correctly. I never saw the word “inaudible” in the transcript thus I will infer that the footnote which is inspiring so much brouhaha is a standard footnote describing the transcription process.

I’m guessing after Nixon nobody will ever see an actual recording of an actual conversation again.

Why are you guessing that?

It's partly based on "recollections", which gives them tons of wiggle room. It's from the Clinton playbook.

The But Obama defense is popular at this point.
We're pointing out behavior by Obama that we find reprehensible. You don't care that we have a problem with it. We don't care about this. That's the point. I don't know why you think it's defense, it's not. We just don't care, even a little bit. Same with you not caring about Hillary's email servers and the joke of an investigation into it. Very easy to understand.

Why are you guessing that?

It's partly based "recollections". Those are their words.
I read the transcript and the footnote. I have no reason to believe that the transcription was not taken in real time or near real time. The implication that this was just created recently is ludicrous and not supported by any evidence produced.

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back