Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what concerns me. Through the whole offseason we either didn't identify these major issues or they didn't have a good solution to them. Nor do they seem to have either the ingenuity or risk tolerance to try something outside of the box. Seem to be banging our heads against the wall hoping for different outcomes.

Pruitt is a failure.

So I’m reading the stories today by the national writers and trying to match up which faction in our program they are linked to. I’m guessing Staples is probably tied in with Fulmer and Anderson. I think Thamel is possibly linked to the Haslam camp.

The all-time hit drama of Tennessee football, behind the scenes, has been renewed for another run. I didn't mean for hit to be a pun but Thamel has published a scathing hit piece on Fulmer on Yahoo.

Wow. I'm for sure not going to be able to tune out now. This reminds me of the TV show "Dallas", except this is real life and to some extent we are all in this one. jmo.

Woof that was a wild article. Idk if Thamel is actually that connected to know what other ADs believe or much of that was just in jest. I have a hard time believing Fulmer really wants to coach again and do so in this way. Nor do I think the support would be there from the fans.

Also not sure of his "historical" recount. Fulmer tried to undercut Kiffin, Dooley, and Jones? Must have missed that unless he knows something we don't.

Reactions: SweetAsSodaPop
Do you think that is a part of game prep and strategy or in-game playcalling?

I think losing shy and kyle is a big reason. They haven’t found an elite pass rusher yet And they don’t feel they can pressure period so they prefer to sit back in zone.

DT is all we got right now and he’s just getting doubled.

Been trying to tell you this. Parents of older guys think Pruitt doesn’t care about them or their kids and they hate him. He has for the most part ignored them. This is what he gets. Time will tell if he’s right and builds this thing but he really cares about HIS recruits. Also, some of the parents are even life long Tennessee fans. I was hoping it was just a few sour grapes but it’s obvious it is not. He needs to play his guys which for the most part he is BUT not enough of them at this point to field a team. I have settled down some and realize he needs to make it and if he does, it’s going to have to be thru recruiting prowess. Hope he can get em to come play here. If they come, they will play.

And yet Pruitt has gone out of his way this year to publicly pump up JG and stand up for him, despite JG doing nothing to earn it.

Reactions: UTSuave’
No disagreement here. And if we had a DeLorean time machine, we could zip right back and do it. Better still, we could go back to 2008 and stop the insanity before it started.
I’m assuming you were in the same capacity in 2008 that you are in now. Anyway, I’ve always wondered, did Hamilton act unilaterally while firing Fulmer or did he have majority support amongst the boosters and board?

I assume they were all together on it. Things had grown stagnant and I understand the decision they made. Man, what I’d do for 8 wins a season to be “stagnant.”

I think that’s probably right.

Best chance is now with Fulmer at the helm, I’d think. It’d take a lot. I’d do whatever it takes.
Lol! If Fulmer even remotely thought about considering that, which I know he isn’t, then we should all prepare for absolute nuclear fallout for this football program. He hasn’t coached in over a decade, and the last season he had, he lost to Wyoming at homecoming. This game isn’t even a ghost of what it was when fulmer was coaching. Be mad all you want but you are out of bounds with bringing back fulmer to coach haha

Woof that was a wild article. Idk if Thamel is actually that connected to know what other ADs believe or much of that was just in jest. I have a hard time believing Fulmer really wants to coach again and do so in this way. Nor do I think the support would be there from the fans.

Also not sure of his "historical" recount. Fulmer tried to undercut Kiffin, Dooley, and Jones? Must have missed that unless he knows something we don't.

The greater Vol Nation has been like the Sunnis and Shia ever since 1992 when Fulmer took over for Majors. Two warring factions that are constantly trying to undermine each other, to the overall detriment of the program.

Yeah, no "name" coach is coming here. Too much risk. If Pruitt doesn't make it, we gotta hire a proven program builder even if he isn't necessarily setting the world on fire at his current job. Let him get the program back to respectability, and if he can't take the next step, then we're in better shape to get the next guy. To me that's the biggest thing and even more important than Xs and Os. Just get a guy who can build a team and a culture.

Sounds like Butch Jones haha. With how Butch ended here, it shows this idea of building us up to relevance "for the next guy" won't work. No guy leaves or is fired here on good terms. That only works in a situation like uga or osu and winning 8 mininum every year for a decade to have that continuity flood over. Anything less than that means the guy imploded at some point (Butch) and we are right back to ground zero.

No disagreement here. And if we had a DeLorean time machine, we could zip right back and do it. Better still, we could go back to 2008 and stop the insanity before it started.

The scary part is we haven't hit rock bottom yet. In about a month things are going to get VERY ugly.

Reactions: Dudley Smith
Lol! If Fulmer even remotely thought about considering that, which I know he isn’t, then we should all prepare for absolute nuclear fallout for this football program. He hasn’t coached in over a decade, and the last season he had, he lost to Wyoming at homecoming. This game isn’t even a ghost of what it was when fulmer was coaching. Be mad all you want but you are out of bounds with bringing back fulmer to coach haha
Read the post I was replying to - you might get some important context out of it.

Read the post I was replying to - you might get some important context out of it.
I can’t keep up with this whole forum, if you’re being sarcastic I apologize. I’ve just talked to too many people who think that whole thing has legs. Fulmer is in the best job he could ask for at this point in his career.

On a low holding pattern right now. VQ still thinks we’re good with Hardy and Baron. Omari Thomas not looking good imo...not sure about actual experts on that one.
Feels like we’re still likely to get the instate guys we’ve got silents from. I’m worried about out of state guys we already have committed. They’ll start to really feel pressure to go elsewhere.

The scary part is we haven't hit rock bottom yet. In about a month things are going to get VERY ugly.
You know it's bad when Catbone has to settle for realism because Eeyore-ing is no longer possible!

Correction: You still got the touch we know and love! I just reviewed some of your previous remarks.

Last edited:
Feels like we’re still likely to get the instate guys we’ve got silents from. I’m worried about out of state guys we already have committed. They’ll start to really feel pressure to go elsewhere.
Gotta show some life the rest of the season...that I’ll admit.

Sounds like Butch Jones haha. With how Butch ended here, it shows this idea of building us up to relevance "for the next guy" won't work. No guy leaves or is fired here on good terms. That only works in a situation like uga or osu and winning 8 mininum every year for a decade to have that continuity flood over. Anything less than that means the guy imploded at some point (Butch) and we are right back to ground zero.

Nah, Butch tanked the program towards the end. There's a difference between a guy who has some success and then lets the program suffer, and a guy who hits his ceiling but stays consistent. Richt is an extreme example of that. He set the table for Smart. Butch would have ultimately been fired if he held steady at 8 wins, but we would be so much better off if he maintained that level. At Tennessee a coach can probably stay here for 6-7 years easily winning 8 games per year, but eventually the fans will get tired of losing to UF, UGA, Bama, etc., and start clamoring for someone new.

I get a feeling we are in survival mode until signing day unfortunately. I’m still in the camp we need a few more classes to get going but I don’t know how anybody survives a 1-2 win season if that materializes. We have to show these players something either in the win column or the film room that keeps them on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back