Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean I'm fine with Pruitt. When we hired him I knew then 3-4 years, we're not even half way through year 2...so I've not suddenly changed the original expectations. Still a first time HC, in the toughest conference in college.

This season is about growth, depth, and improvement. 7 wins isn't off the table just yet, but it looks less attainable now than it did in August.

Recruiting we just gotta keep Bailey. The "future" will be the biggest sell for the 2021 class, and if we've not got a stud QB sitting on roster it's a hard sell.

I mean I'm fine with Pruitt. When we hired him I knew then 3-4 years,
giphy.gif

My hangup with him is that we know what his ceiling is. He’ll win you 7-9 games every year. Hindsight 20/20 maybe that would have been the smarter choice, but bringing him in is basically admitting you’re not interested in ever being anything more than pretty good.

In the ACC. Doeren is 1-3 against the SEC with the 1 being Vandy. He is 2-10 against Clemson and FSU, with one being last year. He gets BC, Syracuse, WF, and UNC every single year.

I can’t see half this thread right now but it’s obvious who everyone is arguing with.

If we win Saturday the same cast will be calling for Pruitt to be fired because we should be 4-0.
I haven't seen a single post say Pruitt should be fired. Questioning whether he was the right choice is different than saying "fire him."

I really like Pruitt, but GS should have never happened. That game was on the coaches for treating it like a scrimmage game. He is a first time coach, so I'm going to let it go as a mistake that he will never allow again. BYU was on the players not the coaches. I think as long as Pruitt does not lose the team and can weather the storm of this season, he could have a bright future.

Lane Kiffin would have been successful here. Jonathan Crompton made JG look like a Heisman until Kiffin came to UT. It took a few games, but the UCLA and Auburn losses were on Crompton. Tennessee beats Alabama if Lincoln is not hurt. Kiffin would have brought in top classes and Tyler Bray would have won a lot of games. That coaching staff was awesome.

Mike Leach would be successful here, but it would take a few years and would require patience.

Florida has 16 sacks.... 10 were against Miami, 5 were against UT Martin, 1 against KY. Wow... so scary! lol. They are so overrated its not even funny and their best DL might not even play.

Fwiw UK's OL is very legit. Actually a bit worried about that game with our DL. Stoops has really done a good job developing the lines (relative to what you expect from UK, at least).

Our offensive line is pretty good at run blocking. Don’t think they’re very good pass blocking although the sack numbers aren’t terrible.

My biggest concern is Grantham loves confusing the offensive line’s assignments and bringing heat from everywhere. Can JG correctly diagnose it pre snap and will the offensive line get it in time? That’ll make the difference.

Pass blocking has been fine with we get straight pressure. Ga St hurt us the most and it was using exotic blitzes. Delays, stunts, corners are what hurt us. It was when we completely missed guys altogether. Which supports your point further.

Only 1 time did a guy get beat straight up in that game for a sack and that was on Gray. JG called it out just right, Gray simply got bullrushed over. The only other "miss" was on a Tackle (Tatum?) but it was after JG had 4.5 seconds to do something, so it was really on him.

Pass blocking has been fine with we get straight pressure. Ga St hurt us the most and it was using exotic blitzes. Delays, stunts, corners are what hurt us. It was when we completely missed guys altogether. Which supports your point further.

Only 1 time did a guy get beat straight up in that game for a sack and that was on Gray. JG called it out just right, Gray simply got bullrushed over. The only other "miss" was on a Tackle (Tatum?) but it was after JG had 4.5 seconds to do something, so it was really on him.

JG missed the corner blitz as well against GSU. He never looked that side, and he fumbled. If he throws it at the blitz, Callaway is open.

I am concerned, too, that JG will not identify what is coming. It will simply come down to him avoiding turnovers or getting lucky. Our defense can play well all game, but we will lose if he gives UF a short field on turnovers.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
I haven't seen a single post say Pruitt should be fired. Questioning whether he was the right choice is different than saying "fire him."

Pruitt most certainly is going somewhere, and hopefully this year. He's tanked the program even further, and we've forgotten that fact for a week because he beat a local Knox County HS squad. We're going to lose out except for UAB, maybe.

That took less than 30 seconds and definitely not the only one I've seen.
Actually see it almost as often as posts claiming no one ever says it.

Urban Meyer with Saban as DC and Dabo as OC wouldn't go undefeated at WSU
Why not? They cant coach them up? Why do our fans want Pruitt to make a 5 star meal out of Spam and Cheez Wiz? We having Spam sammmiches until we can afford to buy better groceries.

Reactions: MwB
I’ve never felt better about Tennessee football than the brief Kiffin era. That guy was recruiting the way it’s supposed to be done here.

If he stayed, that same recruiting would also have probably vacated some wins lol, but hey, it sure would have been fun while it lasted.

Bass is a moody rollercoaster ever since GA state. He’s sucked backed in for now. If we take one on the chin in the swamp he will be right back off. Typical rah rah guy

Bass is a moody rollercoaster ever since GA state. He’s sucked backed in for now. If we take one on the chin in the swamp he will be right back off. Typical rah rah guy
Yep. Butch was the savior until one thing turned - then he was the antichrist.

Bass doesn’t have a middle ground. He’s either all in or all out. And right now he’s decided to be all in.

I know we haven't played world-beaters yet, but a year after being 105th or worse in every advanced OL statistic, we look to be improved. Would expect these numbers to come down some after playing the FL, UGA, Bama gauntlet, but it's still better than what we saw last season vs the likes of WVU and Charlotte(!).

Category - 2019 ranking (2018 ranking)

Run Blocking Stats
Line Yards - 37th (127th)
Std Down LYs - 22nd (126th)
Passing Down LYs -84th (121st)
Opportunity Rate - 25th (119th) *This is a stat Pruitt himself has mentioned as a metric for our running game
Power Success Rate - 74th (123rd)
Stuff Rate - 66th (130th)

Pass Blocking Stats
Sack Rate - 69th (106th)
Std Downs SR - 96th (122nd)
Passing Downs SR - 30th (105th)

Reactions: Rocky_Top_Vol13
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back