Our defensive line gets pushed around like rag dolls!

I don’t think they would be feeding Gray this many touches the first three weeks to drop him against FL. He’ll play. Not saying Jordan is terrible, just looking at the evidence of the first three games and they like Gray a lot.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Rag dolls? I don't think so. We have one key player injured and out for the season. We are in first year of true recruiting and rebuilding. The players are working hard with a lot of pressure and expectations from fans. Give them some time. We passed on Mullen, Miles, and several other well respected and accomplished head coaches now we got what we got. I believe CJP will build a solid SEC and NCAA contender but, probably a couple year from now before that team takes the field.

How in the world are we "in our first year of recruiting and rebuilding"? Pruitt is about to sign his 3rd class here and has been on the job with these players for 22 months. Do you have some kind of time perception issue?

Reactions: Titan05 and Bigun
I agree with you on Elijah. I’m hoping they’ve been holding him out to use him in a specific four games so he can still use his red shirt. If he plays Saturday my theory may hold water.

We’re still rebuilding and we were never going to win the East this year so a strategy like this makes sense and would pay dividends down the road.

As far as Gray goes, I’m not to sure I’d read too much into that. Whether he gets in before Jordan or not, he’ll play.

Honestly, I don’t care what they do in practice. Show me something on Saturday.

It makes sense. We *should* have been ok in the first three games even as thin as we are on the DL. We will need a larger rotation for SEC games.

Also agreed on Jordan. He's been hurt and needs reps. They're different type players and will both play.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
It makes sense. We *should* have been ok in the first three games even as thin as we are on the DL. We will need a larger rotation for SEC games.

Also agreed on Jordan. He's been hurt and needs reps. They're different type players and will both play.
That’s a fine theory but...you play to win now! If this staff has a plan of playing specific guys in specific games, with the thought of preserving their redshirt, then we are in more trouble than I thought! We are not Alabama or Georgia. We don’t have the benefit of being selective with the playing time of a 4 or 5* because there is a 5* or two ahead of him on the depth chart. The second you realized you were in trouble with Georgia St, you play anyone available that gives you a chance to win.
But what do I know? Maybe Simmons wasn’t/isn’t ready?
GBO!!

How in the world are we "in our first year of recruiting and rebuilding"? Pruitt is about to sign his 3rd class here and has been on the job with these players for 22 months. Do you have some kind of time perception issue?

He was left a mess that couldn't beat Vandy Jan 2018. His first year was 2018 and he had one full recruiting cycle. He is now in year two with one full class of his recruits. I guess it is perception but, you are commenting on the technical extreme in one direction (against Pruitt) and I am am commenting the opposite (support Pruitt) points of view. I believe it fair to give CJP 1 + 4 years to produce an SEC championship level team i.e. goes to a major bowl game and plays in the SEC championship. Heck, if we can get back to beating Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina, the Div II, and SEC home games (Florida and Georgia) every year, I would be real happy. He wa 5-7 last year and surprised many with wins over Auburn and Kentucky. He is off to a rough start but, we still have a lot of 2019 left to play.

That’s a fine theory but...you play to win now! If this staff has a plan of playing specific guys in specific games, with the thought of preserving their redshirt, then we are in more trouble than I thought! We are not Alabama or Georgia. We don’t have the benefit of being selective with the playing time of a 4 or 5* because there is a 5* or two ahead of him on the depth chart. The second you realized you were in trouble with Georgia St, you play anyone available that gives you a chance to win.
But what do I know? Maybe Simmons wasn’t/isn’t ready?
GBO!!

Our trouble with Georgia State wasn't at DT. It was setting the edge. We should have outscored them.

He most likely isn't ready as a freshman for a full season on the D-Line. Almost all of them aren't. No sense burning a guy's redshirt in a failed campaign. Get him in for his 4 games when he can make some impact (i.e. in a hot game in Florida) vs pulling a Dobbs and burning his redshirt for no damn reason other than Butch wanted to.

This is why I've never been too optimistic on this season (albeit I never expected to lose to Ga State). Almost all of our SEC opponents have strong running games. Bad combination of lack of D-line depth with a bunch of run-heavy opponents.

The young LBs have immense potential. DBs will be good, as well. But ultimately, we've got to pull in some big-time DL recruits this year for Pruitt to succeed long-term. We can't have 2/3 of a defense in the SEC.
The d line will be fine

Looking like Pruitt's tenure at UT will end up like Steele's at Baylor.....so disastrous that no college will ever hire him again as a head coach, leaving him to be a lifelong defensive coordinator and likely a very good one for a long time.

Which brings me to my second point, If Pruitt is eventually fired for lack of success as HC, why not just demote him to defensive coordinator. You have to pay him anyway. Then bring in an offensive minded HC, like a Mike Leach who agrees to turn over the defense to Pruitt.

Looking like Pruitt's tenure at UT will end up like Steele's at Baylor.....so disastrous that no college will ever hire him again as a head coach, leaving him to be a lifelong defensive coordinator and likely a very good one for a long time.

Which brings me to my second point, If Pruitt is eventually fired for lack of success as HC, why not just demote him to defensive coordinator. You have to pay him anyway. Then bring in an offensive minded HC, like a Mike Leach who agrees to turn over the defense to Pruitt.

Sir, this is a Wendy's

Terrible post. Believe or not I think Pruitt has some momentum going into this game. This team seems to be really fired up and the young guys are ready to go. Get out of here with that "so disastrous that no college will ever hire him again as a head coach" crap.

While I like this.. it would never happen, coaches have too much of an ego and philosophies, what about what Pruitt wants to coach with him and Leach with him, to me this would be a great idea, have a co-head coaches one for offense and one for defense but I guess that’s where ya hire off coord and def coordinators.. but here on VolNation we live in a fantasy land world.. but I like this fantasy.. anyways carry on VN

Demoted from a major power 5 conference to a coordinator and stay while another head coach comes in?

HA!...I remember a large group on here wanting to hire Kevin Steele as head coach back in the day...Hilarious

Reactions: Volz4lif3
Depends on terms of his contract. It could save some money on the buyout if he tried to pull a Butch and go be a grossly underpaid intern (still think UTK should go to court over that one. Butch must have some good dirt on someone.)

I haven't been impressed with what I have seen after 15 games, but I still think it is too early to tell... unfortunately. We will see how the team responds the next few weeks. I think we will know one way or another by the end of the season whether Pruitt will be successful here or is just another dead coach walking (to reduce his buyout)

Lack of knowledge or just plan oblivious on on football teams work?

Heck, I was hoping that Steele would be at/near the top of PF's potential targets tbh.

I like it....except for the fact that I believe Pruitt doesn’t like being at Tennessee. He certainly would have nothing to hold him here.

Just my opinion.

VN Store

Back