Vols Practice Thread Tuesday

I love these practice updates and enjoy reading them, Fingers does an awesome job! (I know, I know, twss)......but.....
Calbert looking good: Yet we never see him play
JG looking the sharpest during drills: very unsharp on Saturdays.
Means and Beasley musical chairs: insignificant as always.
The name Simmons gets brought up: Yet we never see him play.
Change the record already!
I wish I could check these practice updates and read stuff like:
Warrior got his @$$ chewed out and really stepped it up.
Cheney took a snap under center to show JG how to read a defense and get the ball to an open receiver with the right timing.
Freshman Henry T gathered all the LB’s and DB’s together in a circle and demonstrated how to properly wrap up on a tackle.
Due to recent struggles on short yardage, particularly on 3rd and 4th down, Coach Johnson brought freshman Elijah Simmons and 6’7 320lb D Davis off the scout team to line up in off set I formation to ensure 3rd and 1’s will be completed with success.
The UT Swim team leant their pool ropes to the coaching staff to use as visuals for where exactly the 1st down marker is during practice in hopes of on 3rd and 9 passes will be 9yds instead of 1yd.
Sorry, frustrated fan rant. I’m in the right place ain’t I? Lol.
Go Vols!

The best one is still starting? Pruitt already addressed it.
You know it is mind boggling to think that we have QB's that are worse than JG...Seriously because he is without a doubt the worse starting qb UT has had in my lifetime...It is scary to think that our coaches can not evaluate talent to the point that JG is the best we can do..6-14 career record...SIX AND FOURTEEN!...And by the end of the season he MIGHT have 1 or 2 more wins to add to that awesome total....Keep trying to defend him, It's hilarious!

I agree with this.

It's clearly a mental thing with JG. He looked good versus Auburn and Kentucky last year. Got injured versus Mizzou. Came back and has never been the same. Then, got even worse with Chaney's offense. He's thinking too much rather than operating on instincts. It's causing errors like waiting-too-long to pass to wide-open Jauan Jennings.

I don't know how the coaches get him out of it. If they don't, he's eventually losing his job as QB1.

What about before that with Charlotte and UTEP?

I really hope that this team gets things turned around. I know the rest of the season is going to be a severe challenge, but maybe the youngsters and the few upperclassmen who are not completely ruined by the stench of Butch Jones that still lingers can start to build something solid. I'm disappointed and somewhat demoralized as a fan, but I'm here until I die. GO VOLS!!!!

Agree.

I really think JG has all the physical tools to be elite...but, the game seems too fast for him. It’s why he has to throw a bullet every pass, because his reaction time is just a bit slow at this level. By the time he’s processed it all...it leaves only time to rifle the ball in...IF he throws it.
If the game is still to fast for you as a red shirt junior, then you’re most likely never going to catch up.

You know it is mind boggling to think that we have QB's that are worse than JG...Seriously because he is without a doubt the worse starting qb UT has had in my lifetime...It is scary to think that our coaches can not evaluate talent to the point that JG is the best we can do..6-14 career record...SIX AND FOURTEEN!...And by the end of the season he MIGHT have 1 or 2 more wins to add to that awesome total....Keep trying to defend him, It's hilarious!
I agree, they may not be great but there is no way humanly possible they are worse. Only thing I can figure is Pruitt is sticking with JG for his experience however his experience isn't very good either

Reactions: VOLnMiami
Continue to spout your ignorance.

He had a bad game.

No one can legitimately say he is even the worse in the last 15 years. He has better numbers with less talent around him than Worley, Simms, Rick Clausen, Crompton, and several more.

Casey Clausen had a ton of pros on the team and had 11 TDS and 7 ints in his Junior year. A

Stop with the hyperbole, or ignorance. Whichever one it is.

Reactions: Sara Clark
Well something better change for the better with JG or someone else. We have Oklahoma early next year and we will have lost arguably our 4 best wideouts. If we don't have better QB play by then, it will be a blowout of epic proportions because OK is certainly going to score a lot of points on anybody's defense...

He had a bad game.

No one can legitimately say he is even the worse in the last 15 years. He has better numbers with less talent around him than Worley, Simms, Rick Clausen, Crompton, and several more.

Casey Clausen had a ton of pros on the team and had 11 TDS and 7 ints in his Junior year. A

Its funny you use that argument to defend JG but deny it in any debate of BM.

Ps. Still waiting on that qb evaluation from ya.

Its funny you use that argument to defend JG but deny it in any debate of BM.

Ps. Still waiting on that qb evaluation from ya.
Deny what? JG had a bad game.

The evaluation is JG is better. Higher ranked better prospect and determined to be the better player by far by everyone who watches practice.

There ya go.

Now we just need one of our lineman to throw JGs shoe into the stands so he can come in.

just think it would be a smart move to let your backup QB get some reps against the Mocs...one good hit and JG is gone...that's just football...you never know...and,

GO BIG ORANGE!

just think it would be a smart move to let your backup QB get some reps against the Mocs...one good hit and JG is gone...that's just football...you never know...and,

GO BIG ORANGE!

Pruitt didn't give the backup QBs any reps last season, even against ETSU. Doubt he will against any team this season either. He's hitched his wagon to JG.

LOL @ people still defending a QB that throws into triple coverage after staring the receiver down.. He's thrown 2 INTs in 2 weeks that were straight into the defenders hands because he is so locked into the receiver that he cant see the defender RIGHT F'n beside him.. GTFO

Last edited:

He had a bad game.

The analytics geeks are killing sports. JG can somehow manage a decent QB rating while he looks like $#@& and his team is getting beat.

The problem just MAY be the metrics and too much reliance on blind statistics.

Reactions: UT_King
“With dummies lying on the ground, the linemen were in their stance and supposed to move the dummies 5-yards (essentially in a bear crawl). The drill was solely about bend, power and explosiveness. Chaney and Friend were hot at times, constantly yelling at multiple players, “Your hips are too (expletive) high!” Wanya Morris really struggled during the drill, getting pulled at one point to receive 1-on-1 attention from Chaney. After several lineman failed (Ryan Johnson and Marcus Tatum) to move the bag at all during one rep, Friend got so mad he got down into the stance and showed the group how it was supposed to be done. Guys who did show well and received praise included K’Rojhn Calbert, Riley Locklear, Trey Smith and Jerome Carvin.”

I see it as an issue that Will Friend:

1. Is just now getting around to fundamentals 2 games into his second season.

2. Apparently needs adult supervision in the form of our OC having to focus on OL fundamentals with him.

Yet he is like the 3rd highest paid assistant?

I realize JP wants to hook his “Friend” up with some cash, but this experiment needs to be OVER.

888081B4-B0A1-4A5F-9322-564CF5535EB7.jpeg

I don't know if anyone else saw Simmons go against someone else in warm-ups on Saturday but, to my uneducated eye, he looked impressive/aggressive. I guess he must not be doing something right to not be on the field.

I have a feeling we are saving his 4 games against Florida, Bama, UGA, and Mizz. I think he redshirts this year but we sure could use him.

I have a feeling we are saving his 4 games against Florida, Bama, UGA, and Mizz. I think he redshirts this year but we sure could use him.
We have no business red shirting anyone who can play.

He had a bad game.

Bad game??...Hell from what I can tell he's had a LOT of bad games...Even the games he's won he had to have his WR's bail him out...Throwing screen passes and having your WR do all the work for you does not make you a good qb and that's exactly what he does...He sucks...Period...He would not be starting for any other div 1 school but hey since our coaches do not know how to recruit qb's we are stuck with watching him throw even more screen passes and lose even more games...And by the way I would take ANY of the qb's you have listed above over JG...Did I mention he's the worse starting qb in modern UT history?...Well he is.

Reactions: VolInNW

VN Store

Back