Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s actually Garland not Middleton. It’s still not a good look. Garland’s on second team.
This Garland running second team stuff really doesn't set right with me. The guy goes from the transfer portal back to the team, barely practiced and got a lot of snaps against Ga St. Meanwhile Matthew Butler who the staff was talking up all offseason and a probable starter was riding pine. This doesn't add up at all to me and is exactly the kind of thing that pisses off veteran players and divides locker rooms. Maybe I'm overreacting but this just reeks of dysfunction and is at the very least counterintuitive

This Garland running second team stuff really doesn't set right with me. The guy goes from the transfer portal back to the team, barely practiced and got a lot of snaps against Ga St. Meanwhile Matthew Butler who the staff was talking up all offseason and a probable starter was riding pine. This doesn't add up at all to me and is exactly the kind of thing that pisses off veteran players and divides locker rooms. Maybe I'm overreacting but this just reeks of dysfunction and is at the very least counterintuitive

I’m baffled by this as well.

I’m baffled by this as well.
I mean hell for all I know he turns out to be our best DL and future D4H and LittleVol NFL hall of Famer lol. That's not the point though. He didn't earn those snaps. Maybe I'll transfer maybe not. Then you play him 20 snaps in the first game. What kind of message does that send to the guys working their tail off that did earn those snaps?

I have been critical of him to some degree. You have given me a great new perspective. Thank you.
Don't blame folks for wanting the playmakers, was just saying we can call for them or even question the coaches decision without needless insults at a VFL.
We should be the adults in the situation and thank you.

Last edited:
So we’re now at the point where people are taking their frustration out on the media because we hired yet another dunce from the Saban tree. SAD!
You're gonna act like people didn't dislike our media before Saturday? Especially the access whining?
Maybe you're frustrated also but taking it out on fans?

Opened a couple, got to the part about "we all honk" during the game next Saturday to force Phil into firing Pruitt now.

Then
View attachment 222645
Haven’t opened that thread but I’m just sitting here imagining how these people think it’s going to play out...

Phil: “Hmmm.... boys are rebounding pretty well. Up ten in the 3rd...”

<honk>

Phil: “Well I’ll be. All these folks are honking. Clearly I have no choice in the matter. Vicki, get me on the phone with the first Jon Gruden you can find and tell him I have all of the monies.”

Can’t quote cuz thread is locked but here’s the copy/paste.

Atlanta Vol:

3. JG has an issue taking what he can do on the practice field to a game. I know for a fact that a lot of his primary targets and reads were totally ignored for some strange reason this past weekend and he had guys wide open. I am in the camp that you give him a half to show he can handle this...if not give one of the other kids a shot just to see what happens in a game time decision. I understand why there is some hesitation there...I have seen the other two in practice and for sure they are not where JG is....IN PRACTICE.
Ah the ol Butch recruit special. Practice warrior who can't translate it to the game. Blows my mind he couldn't move the ball with JJ, Quez & Palmer on the field along with DWA. Hope he fixes that sh!t or give me the back up with the most moxie as the starter.

Reactions: gunner
I was thinking about how incredibly intelligent our defensive line was last year. I never heard about anyone not knowing how to line up. Kyle Phillips, Alexis Johnson, and Shy Tuttle were in their first year of Pruitt’s system. I wonder who taught them how to line up. Then we had Emmit Gooden who had just arrived on campus from his starring role in Last Chance U. I didn’t hear of any problems. Even guys who played sparingly last year like Butler, Mincey, et. al., not a peep. Of course no one would have expected any issues with Paul Bain. That goes without saying. I wonder what happened this year.

I’ve heard last Saturday described as an epic loss, in the class of the Michigan loss to Appy State in 2007. In 2007 that was the first game of the year for both teams and it was played in the Big House. Michigan, we’re sometimes reminded, went on to have a relatively decent season, sort of. They were ranked #5 in the preseason poll for big boys and Appy was ranked #1 in the early poll for the little boys. In the immediate aftermath of the game Michigan fell completely out of the rankings. Michigan’s second game, also on their home field, was against our beloved friends, the Oregon Ducks. Michigan lost again, 39-7.

From there Michigan would go on an 8 game winning streak climbing back as high as #15 in the poll before dropping their last 2 and disappearing again. They were invited to the Citrus Bowl for a matchup with Urban Meyer’s #9 ranked Florida Gators and newly minted Heisman trophy winner Tim Tebow. They beat the Gators and carried Lloyd Carr off the field as he had announced in November that that season, 2007, his 13th as the head coach at Michigan, would be his last year. His 5th year offensive coordinator was our own lovable grandpa, Mike Debord. Michigan was rewarded for the victory over Florida with a season ending ranking of #18. 2007 would be the 3rd consecutive year that Appy state won the FCS national championship.

Most people, especially outside of Michigan, don’t remember much about that 2007 Michigan team. They just remember that they lost to Appy State. They may not even know that Appy state in those days was the “Alabama” of the FCS league. The game between those two has its own wiki page. It’s listed among the historically significant games of college football.

We’re not 2007 Michigan and Georgia State isn’t 2007 Appy State. So far our game doesn’t appear to even have a wiki page. I sort of doubt the game turns out to be historically significant to the college football landscape. I also doubt we’re going to see our players carrying our head coach from the field but we can still hope that we might yet be able to beat the Gators this season. On second thought, never mind; that was just a passing thought. jmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back