Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
LSU has Troy State, Bama has ULM, we've got Georgia St. I'm pretty convinced at this point that Saturday was the one-in-a-thousand simulation where GaST wins. You play that game another 999 times and UT wins every one of them. I say that not to gloss over what happened, but to illustrate that flukes just ****ing happen sometimes. I don't think this past weekend's game is an indictment on the program at large. I don't think that's what the team will look like every Saturday. I was pissed and numb to it like everyone else, but in the days since, it feels more and more like a cosmic alignment of bad luck. It'll get ironed out.

If there was a silver lining, its that Pruitt's freshmen mostly played well. Burrell was pretty much the only one that consistently looked like a freshmen, but he learned he was starting the week of. I think with more practice with the 1's he'll improve. This may have hurt our spot with a few of the wait-and-see guys, but it seems like for everyone else, its a big flashing neon sign saying "COME TAKE THIS SPOT IMMEDIATELY."

I'm rambling, but i'm not ready to jump ship or tell Pruitt to pack it up. He's proven to be a brilliant football mind. He's learning to be a HC. If I'm picking between which I'd rather him learn on the job, its the latter. I'm sure as hell not ready to start over again.
siap, he's dug a hole for himself, and he has the opportunity to dig out of it. but it's going to take a departure from his current philosophy regarding the roster and how he managed the personnel up to this point, this season.

the most frustrating thing about that game was just how badly the whole thing was mis managed, especially defensively.

anyway. we'll see. he has 11 more chances to prove you right....hope he does. the sooner the better for all involved.

Tee + Phil in some capacity. Don't think Tee is remotely ready to handle it on his own.
I’VE DONE THE RESEARCH LETS FIGHT

Let’s limit the resume to 9 years before theoretically becoming head coach:

Phil Fulmer: 6 years as offensive line coach, three years as OC, given interim coach title

Dabo Swinney: 9 years as WR coach, 1 of those as Associate Head Coach, given interim title

Tee Martin: 9 years as WR coach, 2 of those as passing game coordinator, 2 of those as offensive coordinator, one as associate head coach

I’m just saying if the doomsday scenario happens, you give the interim title to him and see how he does. Chaney is still under contract and you let him keep his job and let him run the offense moving forward so that takes care of that side of the ball. Then you don’t fire any of Pruitt’s assistants but instead let them leave on their own so you don’t have to pay the buyout(s). Phil and Tee then fill those spots with VFLs.

BACK TO RELEVANCE, BOYS.

(really this is depressing to think about)

Man, just doesn’t sound good. How does this happen with this coaching staff? We had -2 yards rushing in the 2nd half. JG still, after 4 years, can’t see the field. He sees one half of the field at best. I’m just still in awe of this team.
50% RF answer - Jordan
The real answer - Gray was electric and TJ was good for the short yardage. But we benched Ty and Guarantano wiped out every yard plus 2 extra with repeated sacks.
Just click on each drive after halftime and read it in order, if you dare.

Georgia State vs. Tennessee - Play-By-Play - August 31, 2019 - ESPN

they did, 100%. definitely not denying that. i just don't think it happens again. that would mean, against all rational observations, that the team, as a whole, has regressed. and not just a little bit, but has regressed to be a worse football team than a DIVII SunBelt team. I just don't that's the case.

I have more faith that if it could happen once it can happen again more so than it was a fluke.

Reactions: jakez4ut
I don't give 2 shites about what VQ or 247 has to say about anything.. @Big Gucci Sosa Posted the video earlier that people need to pay attention to. Those guys actually lined up on this field and bleed Orange. The line about Big Al grabbing a guy and dragging him off the field because he wasn't playing hard enough and telling the coaches not to put him back out there is what this team is missing.

We'll find out Saturday. I'm just depressed man. I can't believe what we witnessed Saturday

same, man. same. totally numb.

we aren't the first school to get nut-kicked like this, we won't be the last. honestly, reading through USCjr and FSU threads on twitter has made me feel a little better. give it a go.

LSU has Troy State, Bama has ULM, we've got Georgia St. I'm pretty convinced at this point that Saturday was the one-in-a-thousand simulation where GaST wins. You play that game another 999 times and UT wins every one of them. I say that not to gloss over what happened, but to illustrate that flukes just ****ing happen sometimes. I don't think this past weekend's game is an indictment on the program at large. I don't think that's what the team will look like every Saturday. I was pissed and numb to it like everyone else, but in the days since, it feels more and more like a cosmic alignment of bad luck. It'll get ironed out.

If there was a silver lining, its that Pruitt's freshmen mostly played well. Burrell was pretty much the only one that consistently looked like a freshmen, but he learned he was starting the week of. I think with more practice with the 1's he'll improve. This may have hurt our spot with a few of the wait-and-see guys, but it seems like for everyone else, its a big flashing neon sign saying "COME TAKE THIS SPOT IMMEDIATELY."

I'm rambling, but i'm not ready to jump ship or tell Pruitt to pack it up. He's proven to be a brilliant football mind. He's learning to be a HC. If I'm picking between which I'd rather him learn on the job, its the latter. I'm sure as hell not ready to start over again.

I don't buy this. Duke beating Bama would be a fluke.

This one feels like the culmination of the past several seasons. We've been flirting with a loss like this for a while (Appy St, Charlotte, UMASS, etc). This wasn't some 7 turnover last minute hail mary game...we got straight whipped.

I listened to every bit of it. I highly recommend it to everyone. I like you LA but I'm not on your side on this. I wished the whole team including the staff would be required to listen to this. I want them to choke on it. If you want to do something about it do something about it. If it pisses you off - great. I want somebody over there to get pissed. I am flabbergasted that our solution appears to be to coddle a man we are paying 4 fricking million dollars a year to. He's not frickin' 5 years old even if he does act like it. jmo.

I really don't see how you got that from what I posted, but I'm sorry if I gave that impression. NOBODY is at all tolerant or accepting about what happened Saturday. N-O-B-O-D-Y. It should never have happened and it should never happen again. It was inexcusable. But people at UT are trying their damnest to fix what can be fixed and salvage something-- anything-- to pull this program out of the landfill before it's shoveled too far under.

I haven't heard one person say one word about coddling anybody. A lot of very concerned people with very busy lives have given up their holidays these past few days to try and help-- former players, boosters, donors, trustees, UT admin. They're looking forward and not back-- and really, what other path is there?

So yes, while I like you, too, Chatt, and have always enjoyed your posts, I'm 100% with them. I agree with Fulmer that the only way forward is to all row in the same direction, so you can count me right there in the boat. Literally. We'll all be there Saturday-- three generations, all wearing orange, and we'll be cheering, not booing, a team that gutpunched us and needs to get a lot better fast. Recruits will be there, too, and they'll be watching. Just like they have been all week.

Reactions: rekinhavoc
I want Pruitt, I want to see him battle through these early "growing pains" that he's facing as a HC for the first time in the SEC of all places, a job he was given that he wasn't ready for.

He wanted the challenge and now he's got it. Countless elite coaches now started somewhere and very few started out winning, we're too fast to swing the axe. I think Fulmer as sitting AD saw something in this guy to believe it'll be worth it, and I'm going to hold faith. Dooley & Butch both got at least 3 years, so I'm giving Pruitt at least 3 as well.

I really don't see how you got that from what I posted, but I'm sorry if I gave that impression. NOBODY is at all tolerant or accepting about what happened Saturday. N-O-B-O-D-Y. It should never have happened and it should never happen again. It was inexcusable. But people at UT are trying their damnest to fix what can be fixed and salvage something-- anything-- to pull this program out of the landfill before it's shoveled too far under.

I haven't heard one person say one word about coddling anybody. A lot of very concerned people with very busy lives have given up their holidays these past few days to try and help-- former players, boosters, donors, trustees, UT admin. They're looking forward and not back-- and really, what other path is there?

So yes, while I like you, too, Chatt, and have always enjoyed your posts, I'm 100% with them. I agree with Fulmer that the only way forward is to all row in the same direction, so you can count me right there in the boat. Literally. We'll all be there Saturday-- three generations, all wearing orange, and we'll be cheering, not booing, a team that gutpunched us and needs to get a lot better fast. Recruits will be there, too, and they'll be watching. Just like they have been all week.
Has anyone ever seen LA Vol and Inky in the same place at the same time?

what boggles the mind is that all those people have tried to help and we just played the worst single game in our history! What does that tell us?

Reactions: volinbama256
Yeah, Burrell was not going to start ahead of Taylor. Taylor and Thompson were always 1-2 and Burrell was gonna be a sub-in package for those 2 to get gameday experience. Then Bryce happened.

Also, why did he have to go to court just hear he has to come back to court in 20 more days? I don't know how the court system works so the reason behind that alludes me.

I don't buy this. Duke beating Bama would be a fluke.

This one feels like the culmination of the past several seasons. We've been flirting with a loss like this for a while (Appy St, Charlotte, UMASS, etc). This wasn't some 7 turnover last minute hail mary game...we got straight whipped.

to believe that is to believe we're on par, talent-wise, with the bottom of the barrel in the SunBelt conference. that may be true for half of the roster or so, because they just never learned how to play college football somehow, but as a team, that's not the case.

Get Pruitt to the point where the starting 22 are majority his players (HS prospects, not JUCO transfers). Let's see what happens when we keep coordinators in place for more than a year. I think we've got to see what else is happening in the QB room because, as much as i like JG, i think he's been conditioned not to lose instead of to win. I don't know, I just don't think blowing this up now is the way to go.

giphy.gif

YPC is a misleading stat for sure, as a team it was 3.0 YPC.

Ty = 8.0
Gray = 4.1
Jordan = 2.3
Keyton = 10 YPC
JG = -1

The sacks JG ate skewed the rushing numbers. I hope Pruitt lets Chaney have the reigns, fully on offense. (this means if Chaney wants to feed Ty after a fumble, let 'em...if Chaney wants to take over OL and send Friend packing...let 'em). After seeing what the defense looked like I see no reason that Pruitt shouldn't trust Chaney to run his offense including sub packages and personnel decisions.

Reactions: barrylee
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back