Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This offensive line cannot block effectively enough to allow us to pound the rock with our running backs. That ain’t gonna happen.

We’d be much better off throwing quick slants and screens but those plays don’t chew up a lot of time and it’ll hurt our defense.
I get you can’t go from what we had last year to the Great Wall of Knoxville over last season, but more talent with a couple of starters returning and an ostensibly legitimate strength program should mean they don’t get absolutely dominated by the last place Sun Belt team. Is Friend this bad?

Hypothetically, say we lose to BYU in the same fashion we did to GSU....i.e...showing no improvement whatsoever, lining up wrong, poor effort, and the same lackadaisical response from the coaches and players afterwards.

What is the next step? Is anything done, and if so, what?

I get you can’t go from what we had last year to the Great Wall of Knoxville over last season, but more talent with a couple of starters returning and an ostensibly legitimate strength program should mean they don’t get absolutely dominated by the last place Sun Belt team. Is Friend this bad?
He must just be awful.

Like @HankHill said, it’s gotta be the high school football mentality of making sure every player gets snaps at every position. You might be able to do that at Alabama and Georgia when you don’t have to play these guys for three years.

Y'all remember when we were fretting and worrying over Bama coming after Pruitt when Saban retires?

dMWcDn3.gif

Hypothetically, say we lose to BYU in the same fashion we did to GSU....i.e...showing no improvement whatsoever, lining up wrong, poor effort, and the same lackadaisical response from the coaches and players afterwards.

Yep

Season will be done. Again I cannot see any scenario where you make a coaching change. We are going to have to ride it out.

Reactions: OrangenSC
He must just be awful.

Like @HankHill said, it’s gotta be the high school football mentality of making sure every player gets snaps at every position. You might be able to do that at Alabama and Georgia when you don’t have to play these guys for three years.

I think he genuinely likes the individuals on this team and believes that many guys deserved to play. He felt it was the overall best thing to do because we would win the game and overall moral would be good because so many kids played. It just backfired

I don't know if it affects you all the same way but I haven't watched a down of football since the debacle in Neyland Saturday. It ruins college football as a whole for me. Have no desire to watch other games at this point.
I am trying to heal by watching but I can't get excited about it too much. I have been watching The Office instead. That makes me laugh without crying, at least.

I was thinking last night about Pruitt's resume and what warranted him to be the head football coach at the university of Tennessee. This is what I came up with:

DC at Alabama, GA, and FSU. So he coached 4-5 stars to be good defenses. At Alabama he coordinated one year behind Kirby and basically took a Ferrari on cruise control down the highway without changing lanes. Similar at FSU and Georgia. Never staying long enough to develope his own players into a defense. Sal Sunseri could probably had similar results. He's never really had to do more with less. He's never really had to coach up lower ranked players.

Recruiting. He was known as a great recruiter at all three of his stops. But think about it.... how hard is it to recruit at any of those three stops? Alabama turns away many players that we'd consider huge gets. Recruiting at any of those schools is not a difficult job but you just about have to screw up to not land top 2-3 classes. @Catbone could win recruiter of the year awards there.

Other than those things I'm not sure what he's got. He's never been even a head coach at the high school level let alone at the college level. Really not sure why we find ourselves with him at the helm.
Thought the same thing as well, but coordinators move up all the time without being HBC. Dabo, Lincoln Riley to just name a couple. But I will say with Riley, when he took over as OC, he improved OU vice just maintain status quo.
Maybe we UT fans shouldn't have scared Doeren off from taking the job. I hate to say, but pretty sure even Schiano would have beaten Ga St.

Just saw Jake Bentley is out indefinitely, MSU will be down players, this is Pruitts best chance at a 8-9 win season for awhile. Off to a bad start for that now tho.

Thought the same thing as well, but coordinators move up all the time without being HBC. Dabo, Lincoln Riley to just name a couple. But I will say with Riley, when he took over as OC, he improved OU vice just maintain status quo.
Maybe we UT fans shouldn't have scared Doeren off from taking the job. I hate to say, but pretty sure even Schiano would have beaten Ga St.

I'm watching Josh Heupel pretty close right now.

Y'all remember when we were fretting and worrying over Bama coming after Pruitt when Saban retires?

dMWcDn3.gif
Hopefully Saban retires by October. That would be the only win we’ve had over Bama since the aughts if Pruitt would take over mid year.

I am trying to heal by watching but I can't get excited about it too much. I have been watching The Office instead. That makes me laugh without crying, at least.
Saturday was such a huge disappointment for me. Having to stay home and play nurse for Mrs, InVOL, I was going to make the best of a less than great situation and marathon watch all the Saturday, Sunday Monday games. But alas, I yielded the TV to her and watched Stranger things. Did get out and go dove hunting Sunday afternoon. (I was less accurate than Guartano.)

Last edited:
That wasn't meant as an indictment on Fulmer. Maybe that was the best of his options. In my 20/20 hindsight, I wonder if a lower level head coach would have been a better move. Leach would have been a better move imo. Les Miles was still available.

This is a new low for VN. Les Miles is looking like a good option

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Yep

Season will be done. Again I cannot see any scenario where you make a coaching change. We are going to have to ride it out.

I think you let Pruitt wither on the vine until after South Carolina, then cut your losses and hire an interim (whether that's Phil himself or Chaney) at 1-7 and before UAB, UK, Mizzou, and Vandy.

HOLY HELL, 1-7! What did we do to deserve this?

Also, in both those scenarios they took over programs they were already in.

There won’t be 50k in Neyland vs UTC and Fulmer will have to make some changes. Slide Pruitt over to DC, fire a couple assistants, kick 5-10 guys off the team, Fulmer is HC and let’s roll.

I stand by my opinion that you can't fire a coach in year 2 unless there are moral discrepancies. He will be coach next year even if the above happens and most likely will.

Reactions: Devo182 and Pacer92
Saturday was such a huge disappointment for me. Having to stay home and play nurse for Mrs, InVOL, I was going to make the best of a less than great situation and marathon watch all the Saturday, Sunday Monday games. But alas, I yielded the TV to her and watched Stranger things. Did get out and go done hunting Sunday afternoon. (I was less accurate than Guartano.)
Nice of invol and JG to pose for a picture yesterday.

1567521778837.jpeg

Reactions: Rishvol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back