Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with that 💯, but Pruitt was subbing inexperienced frosh to get them gametime experience. Not the time to do so when you’re on the ropes. The 3 teams you mentioned do so with experience.
We should have built a lead with our leaders, and then started subbing the young’s who obviously had no clue what they were doing.
I agree that's a different issue, as is offensive line shuffling, but all that indicates to me is that our coaching staff didn't take this game seriously, and that attitude inevitably filters down to the players.

I was thinking last night about Pruitt's resume and what warranted him to be the head football coach at the university of Tennessee. This is what I came up with:

DC at Alabama, GA, and FSU. So he coached 4-5 stars to be good defenses. At Alabama he coordinated one year behind Kirby and basically took a Ferrari on cruise control down the highway without changing lanes. Similar at FSU and Georgia. Never staying long enough to develope his own players into a defense. Sal Sunseri could probably had similar results. He's never really had to do more with less. He's never really had to coach up lower ranked players.

Recruiting. He was known as a great recruiter at all three of his stops. But think about it.... how hard is it to recruit at any of those three stops? Alabama turns away many players that we'd consider huge gets. Recruiting at any of those schools is not a difficult job but you just about have to screw up to not land top 2-3 classes. @Catbone could win recruiter of the year awards there.

Other than those things I'm not sure what he's got. He's never been even a head coach at the high school level let alone at the college level. Really not sure why we find ourselves with him at the helm.

It's always 50/50 when you bring in a coordinator as HC. It can be a steep learning curve, and not all of them can make the transition. It's a different skillset.

UT wasn't backed into a corner, however. There were other options. UT has always had other options. It was a gamble-- just like our three other HC hires have been.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I say we make a change today, right now, while Gruden is fully locked in with the Raiders. He might be available again after this year or mid 2020.

I know you can bet on sports now in Tennessee, is there an online sports book or do I have to go back to a betonsports.com?

The shuffling won’t stop because the starters won’t play well enough to justify keeping them on the field.

By shuffling I mean having players line up at different positions. Switching between OG and OT is confusing. Constant movement on the OL makes it even harder for a struggling QB. Set the positions early this week, build some continuity and get a rhythm going.

By shuffling I mean having players line up at different positions. Switching between OG and OT is confusing. Constant movement on the OL makes it even harder for a struggling QB. Set the positions early this week, build some continuity and get a rhythm going.
I’m with you. I’m just skeptical it happens.

They should’ve had their best 5 offensive linemen practicing together for three weeks by now.

so many things to dissect from the game... i mean where to begin.

1. shuffling of freshman o linemen into multiple different positions for their first ever game

2. getting chandler and grey both less than 10 carries

3. not figuring out how to stop a simple dive play on first downs (they ran the dive 80% of the time on first down it seemed like)

4. no sense of urgency to score at end of first half (butch mentality)

5. guarantano sliding short of sticks when we desperately need first downs

6. needing 4 yards for a first down and we throw the ball to austin pope a yard behind the LOS

7. can't get d line lined up correctly

8. Darrel Taylor flying by the quarterback by 3 yards every single play

9. having trouble even getting substitutions in the game without penalties

10. 20 more things i could say but my hands have gotten tired of typing

11. with all that being said i'll be there saturday night if nothing else to see my friends and enjoy an all day tailgate.

They should’ve had their best 5 offensive linemen practicing together for three weeks by now.
Sure the OL wasn't great but they are the least of my worries after seeing that DL and defense as a whole. We scored enough points to win that game. Our defense got mashed.

Yes, but they can't fix three weeks ago. They can fix now. The HC will have some extra help this week. And some "suggestions."

My biggest concern rn is that anyone...especially the coach, could publicly say anything positive about that game.

Great teams/coaches point out the negatives/ areas of improvement even in great performances.

We had the worst loss in program history, and we're pointing out positives.

Hope to see a lot more "positives" on Saturday night!

Until last night, I hadn't been on here since Friday morning. I clicked on each page and read the first 2-3 posts, but know I missed a lot. A few things:

- Is Hubbs freak out post really real, or did we determine that there was some context missing
- What was NotoriousRPP saying?
- Hey, our margin of defeat is trending in the right direction (sorry if someone else has already used that one)!
- I know it kind-of coach speak and cliche how they always talk about how you have to take every opponent seriously. The old adage, "you can't just roll your helmet out there and expect to win." Well, damnit, when you're Tennessee and your opponent is GA ST, you damn well should be able to just roll your helmet out there. There is no excuse for what happened. I have become so numb to losses over the past 15 years, but this one lingers. I'm not like dwelling in depression or anything, so it's all relative. But I expect to feel a little less bad about it each day. Instead, it gets worse. I just literally can't fathom how it's gotten to this point.

Sure the OL wasn't great but they are the least of my worries after seeing that DL and defense as a whole. We scored enough points to win that game. Our defense got mashed.
Both are equally as troubling. GSU has the worst defense we’ll play all year outside of UTC. Moving the ball on them means nothing to me.

The front seven on the defensive side has no hope. Those guys are small, inexperienced and have not been well coached. I think there’s at least a little bit of hope on the offensive line - some good talent there and at some point Chaney and Phil will take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back