The Grill and BBQ thread

Soon, I will attempt my 3rd brisket. Whole this time. Hope 3rd time is a charm. Haven't got it right yet, but closer on the 2nd try. Kroger had them on sale, so I picked up a $65 brisket 15 lb. for $30. Same price as the 5.5 pound chuck roast I put in the slow cooker.

I will try starting it maybe a full day before it goes on. Bought a bottle of allegro marinade to brine it in overnight. Then I will re-watch Franklin before trimming it. It may fit laying down, but most likely will smoke it hanging.

Reactions: volfanjustin
Soon, I will attempt my 3rd brisket. Whole this time. Hope 3rd time is a charm. Haven't got it right yet, but closer on the 2nd try. Kroger had them on sale, so I picked up a $65 brisket 15 lb. for $30. Same price as the 5.5 pound chuck roast I put in the slow cooker.

I will try starting it maybe a full day before it goes on. Bought a bottle of allegro marinade to brine it in overnight. Then I will re-watch Franklin before trimming it. It may fit laying down, but most likely will smoke it hanging.
Let me know if you get that figured out, I am 0-3 on briskets, I think some of my issue is buying too small

Don't know if this has been said, but slicing it appropriately across the grain is ESSENTIAL. There is a video on YouTube that basically has you divide it into three sections before slicing, and I've found that to be the best technique. I'll try to find it when I have time

Let me know if you get that figured out, I am 0-3 on briskets, I think some of my issue is buying too small

Yeah, I was curious about that too. My first two were the flats. Probably would have bought another, or tried the point. but, Kroger had the whole on sale for the same price, so why not.

Reactions: volfanjustin
Don't know if this has been said, but slicing it appropriately across the grain is ESSENTIAL. There is a video on YouTube that basically has you divide it into three sections before slicing, and I've found that to be the best technique. I'll try to find it when I have time

Since I only did the flats the first two smoke, I did get the cross grain slice. I watched a video of franklin's on trimming and slicing a whole brisket. I will definitely have to watch that again. his video's are great.

Reactions: volmanbill
Steaks. Fortunately, just singed my brows, eyelashes, and a few hairs on the very front of my head. It was a big 'en and scared the crap out of me!

Ouch! Now you know. Sounds like the old saying "once burned" will be true in your case. Glad you're alright.

I've only lost hair on my hands and arms. At least that is all I recall. Burping becomes second nature whenever you are using a hot fire.
We eat almost no steaks, and use a mini egg for steaks and burgers when it is just the two of us which is most of the time.

Reactions: VolNExile
Pulling for her. I follow her Facebook page and look at some of her recipes. I haven’t tried any of hers yet but it always looks good.

I was first pulling for Carey from Peg Leg Porker from here in Nashville. He does whole hog and it’s really good. Unfortunately, he got sent home pretty early.

Carey and Suzie are judges on a new pilot

Screenshot_20190830-110156_Facebook.jpg

Reactions: Nash_Vol97
They look awesome! What did you cook them on? Mind sharing your rib recipe? I’m always looking for different ideas to help tweak mine.
Thanks. They were pretty tasty!

I used the basic 3/2/1 method. I smoked the rubbed ribs for 3 hours, wrapped in foil for 2 hours and then finished unwrapped for an hour. I don't always wrap them, but yesterday I wanted to try something different that I saw on Pitmasters. I put them on a bed of brown sugar, honey and Parkay and then wrapped. These came out perfect. Clean pull from the bone and no mushiness. I was afraid they might be too sweet, but that wasn't the case at all.
IMG_3258.JPG

Reactions: MAD
Thanks. They were pretty tasty!

I used the basic 3/2/1 method. I smoked the rubbed ribs for 3 hours, wrapped in foil for 2 hours and then finished unwrapped for an hour. I don't always wrap them, but yesterday I wanted to try something different that I saw on Pitmasters. I put them on a bed of brown sugar, honey and Parkay and then wrapped. These came out perfect. Clean pull from the bone and no mushiness. I was afraid they might be too sweet, but that wasn't the case at all.
View attachment 221893
Awesome. Thank you!

VN Store

Back