Favorite Single Play(s)

I didn't see the Kick return by Carl Pickens vs. LSU in Baton Rouge.I would like someone to post that if possible.That is one of the most enjoyable plays to watch a few times each year. Pickens is one of the best athletes to ever play college football.

As the season is almost upon us, I find myself reflecting back on some of the most memorable plays. I can remember Powell "roaring down the sideline". I remember Cobb's awesome run against Auburn and I can remember Peerless Price's TD catch against FSU. Among others was a body slam of a Vandy running back and Dale Carter's second half kickoff return against Florida in '90.

I do have two plays that are, however, my favorite ones and cannot decide which is better. One is the juke move Tony Thompson put on a Mississippi State defender and the other is a juke move either Peerless or Marcus Nash (I think it was Peerless) had against a defender just after a catch on the left sideline. I want to say it was either against USCe or Arkansas.

What say ye Volnation; what is your top memorable play?

Eric Berry knocking the crap out of Tebow

Reactions: Remy and Alto1
Yes. Great one. In that same game how about Tee Martins scramble in overtime to get back in fg range so Hall could kick the winning fg. Al Wilson also had some great plays that game including a key fumble recovery. How about Shawn Bryson’s long TD run to get things started? How about the one handed interception by Deon Grant to halt a Florida drive. So many great plays that game. Does John Wards call of the missed fg count as a great play?
I remember the Bryson run! Like he was shot out of a cannon! Ran straight to our endzone.

Reactions: Alto1
It's sort of lost in history because of the way the game ended but the hobnail boot game in 2001... That screen pass to Stephens that he took all the way was one if the most exiting moments I've witnessed in Neyland. But alas...

Heck, even Kessling's call was pretty awesome.

It’s not a single play but a series of plays for me. When everyone in the stadium knew the only person to touch the football after Stoener fumbled was Travis Henry and we rammed it down their throat and made them like it... that was it for me..

Last edited:
I like all of the ones mentioned so far. I have to throw in the 2009 Vandy game. It was already won for us, but I loved watching Wes Brown score a TD.

That was definitely an awesome play and couldn't have happened to a more deserving player - knees were a wreck and he kept giving his all.

It's sort of lost in history because of the way the game ended but the hobnail boot game in 2001... That screen pass to Stephens that he took all the way was one if the most exiting moments I've witnessed in Neyland. But alas...

Heck, even Kessling's call was pretty awesome.

Reminded me so much of the screen at the end of the Miracle at South Bend.

Not a game-winning play or from one of our better eras, but one of my favorite plays by Dobbs was his pump-fake against Bama. I believe it was in 2014 following Worley's injury and the Peterman fiasco. Tried to find a GIF or video, but no luck.

First play of the 95 Bama game..then Peytons playaction fake out trot into the end zone in that same game.

"TALK ABOUT REDEMPTION!!!"--Verne Lundquist

Wilhoits FG against Florida in '04.

Not even close for me.

Manning to Kent vs Alabama in '95. In one play, everyone knew that the "tide" had turned after nearly a decade of frustration, and we were bound to accomplish some great things in the next several years.

Reactions: Volgrad98
Wilhoit's 50 yarder against UF in 2004.

The emotional roller coaster of the low from the missed extra point to the high of the 50 yarder going through... Oh my
Was actually telling my wife about that moment this morning on the way home from church. I’ll never forget the way the crowd noise struck me.

That is one of the most frustrating things about attending the game in person, IMO. If you have a side view angle of the uprights it is hard to tell if the FG was good.

Just watch the referee and you'll know.

Didn’t see and, could have missed but, anyone remember Tony Thompson’s dive over the top against Virginia in the Sugar Bowl?

That was the first time all game that we were in the lead.

I know that it is not one play, but in 1986 at ole miss William Howard carried the ball 16 consecutive play and is still a NCAA record.

VN Store

Back