BYU Fan here

If you think women in Utah are exceptionally hot then you have never met many Asian women. White women do not age worth a crap. My 40 year old half Filipino wife looks like she is still in her 20’s
Like given for hot Asian women.

An elderly Mormon asked his doctor if he thought he'd live to be 100.

The doctor asked the man "Do you smoke or drink?"

"No" replied the Mormon, "I've never done either"

The doctor asked "Do you gamble, drive fast cars and chase after women?"

"No, I've never done any of those things either" said the Mormon

"Well then" said the doctor "Why do you want to live to 100 then?"

As for the game, the further away from the ball at the snap you get, the weaker BYU is. Our OL and DL will be the strength of the team. We've had strong units in the trenches in the past -- those two year missions make for some big boys -- but these might be the best we have ever had.
I guess some things are "relevant". UT's OL against a weaker schedule might not have been talked about much. A combination of a QB who held it too long and OL's whose development was stunted by the previous coach led to a weak rushing game and 23 sacks on the year. Your OL allowed 29 sacks albeit on more attempts. Your rushing O was about 20 ypg better than UT but you'd be kidding yourself to compare your schedule to UT's. You played 5 power five schools. UT played 9... including Bama and UGA.

Kaufusi was an absolute monster and by far and away the best player BYU had last year IMO. Maybe they've developed but none of your other DL's were all that impressive in the games I've watched. Their biggest advantage seemed to be that teams schemed to block CK. Your back 7 though will hurt you more. In the games I saw where you played someone with athletes similar to UT's at WR, BYU couldn't play man. If you can't play man then that limits your blitz packages and inhibits loading up against the run. I liked a couple of your CB's. They're good players. None of your LB's can run with anyone they'll be asked to cover.

I don't know who you return on the OL or if there were any losses. They did a nice job last year but pretty obviously played better against lesser opponents. The rushing performance vs Wisconsin was pretty impressive. The rest... not so much.

Bushman looks like a solid TE. Pau'u looks good on the hoof and has untapped potential IMO. The rest are "good" receivers. They run good routes. Outside of Hifo, there doesn't appear to be any burners. UT should have a very good and deep secondary with loads of speed. UT will be big and athletic at LB. I like this match up for UT but would not be surprised to see Bushman do some damage.

Your QB is good. IMO, he could play for anyone in the country. Talented guy.

If Tennessee is hurting on the lines like it sounds, we'll see if speed on the edges or dominance at the line is what wins football games. Not here to convince you your team sucks or to preach the restored Gospel, but looking forward to talking some football as we wait out the next couple weeks.
I really wouldn't plan on seeing last year's version this year. The previous coach was a doofus who thought he could win with "small and quick" on the LOS in the SEC. He designed a S&C program for 5 years to that end. It took more than a year to build size and power back into those guys.

We don't know about the DL. A bunch of new guys. I expect the OL to be much improved. On average, they'll weigh 20+ lbs more this year than last. Unless BYU added some help or else busted the curve on S&C with the returning guys... I really like that match up for UT.

BYU will not be ready for this football game. They may think they are ready until surrounded by over 100,000 screaming fans in Neyland stadium! This trip will be a culture shock for you guys. When we talk about deficiencies in the trenches we are talking about against SEC teams like Alabama, Georgia, etc., Not the BYU's of the world. Good luck, I hope both teams players come out injury free. WGWTFA!

I see some of the information about BYU's planned tailgate and the rush of BYU fans has been making a few ripples among the more sensitive members of your fanbase. Full disclosure, the primary reason BYU went independent was to access its nationwide fanbase. Mormons are hot and we still breed like the Catholics did in the 50s -- one wife at a time, mind you -- and we love turning out in the well-known or not-so-well-known venues of college football. The alumni chapters are anxious to create the full experience for BYU fans travelling from around the country (the T-shirt thing has been done everywhere I've gone). Neyland is our road mecca in 2019 so all BYU fans circled it on our calendars when the series was announced. We'll show up. We'll spend some money. And we won't drink your beer.

As for the game, the further away from the ball at the snap you get, the weaker BYU is. Our OL and DL will be the strength of the team. We've had strong units in the trenches in the past -- those two year missions make for some big boys -- but these might be the best we have ever had.

If Tennessee is hurting on the lines like it sounds, we'll see if speed on the edges or dominance at the line is what wins football games. Not here to convince you your team sucks or to preach the restored Gospel, but looking forward to talking some football as we wait out the next couple weeks.

As long as I don't see a bunch of men in white shirts and black ties riding their bikes toward the stadium...............I am good. BTW, the elders, nicest people you will ever meet :) I wish I had my act together at their age, I would have be dangerous!

I guess some things are "relevant". UT's OL against a weaker schedule might not have been talked about much. A combination of a QB who held it too long and OL's whose development was stunted by the previous coach led to a weak rushing game and 23 sacks on the year. Your OL allowed 29 sacks albeit on more attempts. Your rushing O was about 20 ypg better than UT but you'd be kidding yourself to compare your schedule to UT's. You played 5 power five schools. UT played 9... including Bama and UGA.

Kaufusi was an absolute monster and by far and away the best player BYU had last year IMO. Maybe they've developed but none of your other DL's were all that impressive in the games I've watched. Their biggest advantage seemed to be that teams schemed to block CK. Your back 7 though will hurt you more. In the games I saw where you played someone with athletes similar to UT's at WR, BYU couldn't play man. If you can't play man then that limits your blitz packages and inhibits loading up against the run. I liked a couple of your CB's. They're good players. None of your LB's can run with anyone they'll be asked to cover.

I don't know who you return on the OL or if there were any losses. They did a nice job last year but pretty obviously played better against lesser opponents. The rushing performance vs Wisconsin was pretty impressive. The rest... not so much.

Bushman looks like a solid TE. Pau'u looks good on the hoof and has untapped potential IMO. The rest are "good" receivers. They run good routes. Outside of Hifo, there doesn't appear to be any burners. UT should have a very good and deep secondary with loads of speed. UT will be big and athletic at LB. I like this match up for UT but would not be surprised to see Bushman do some damage.

Your QB is good. IMO, he could play for anyone in the country. Talented guy.

I really wouldn't plan on seeing last year's version this year. The previous coach was a doofus who thought he could win with "small and quick" on the LOS in the SEC. He designed a S&C program for 5 years to that end. It took more than a year to build size and power back into those guys.

We don't know about the DL. A bunch of new guys. I expect the OL to be much improved. On average, they'll weigh 20+ lbs more this year than last. Unless BYU added some help or else busted the curve on S&C with the returning guys... I really like that match up for UT.

Great to have some good football talk. The player on DL is Khyris Tonga #95. He was making plays (the only one who was) against LSU’s OL and Guice in 2017 as a just returned missionary. He was about 30 pounds OVERweight. Down to a slim 320 now and will control the middle.

Last year our, OL were three RM freshmen (two named 2018 frosh All-Americans), a sophomore, and one senior (worst of the group). So four of five return under their second year of tutelage from Jeff Grimes.

All we have heard about Tennessee’s DL is that they lost their only returning stats to a torn ACL and are counting on converted TEs.

Your OL has had six medical retirements since spring? You’re counting on true freshmen at two spots?

BYU will not be ready for this football game. They may think they are ready until surrounded by over 100,000 screaming fans in Neyland stadium! This trip will be a culture shock for you guys. When we talk about deficiencies in the trenches we are talking about against SEC teams like Alabama, Georgia, etc., Not the BYU's of the world. Good luck, I hope both teams players come out injury free. WGWTFA!

Like over 100,000 at Texas in 2014? Like over 85,000 at Nebraska in 2015? Like two NFL stadium games in 2016? Like 80,000 at Wisconsin in 2018?

Big venues might scare other non-conference teams, but not BYU. We play anywhere and win our fair share. Gonna be the 11 between the lines and not the 100,000 outside them that will have any impact.

As long as I don't see a bunch of men in white shirts and black ties riding their bikes toward the stadium...............I am good. BTW, the elders, nicest people you will ever meet :) I wish I had my act together at their age, I would have be dangerous!

LOL, you sometimes see the local mission leader grant permission for missionaries to attend a game (been more of a bowl game thing), but I doubt it will be the case here. Tickets are in high demand from the fan base. Have friends coming from 17 different states to attend this game.

I see some of the information about BYU's planned tailgate and the rush of BYU fans has been making a few ripples among the more sensitive members of your fanbase. Full disclosure, the primary reason BYU went independent was to access its nationwide fanbase. Mormons are hot and we still breed like the Catholics did in the 50s -- one wife at a time, mind you -- and we love turning out in the well-known or not-so-well-known venues of college football. The alumni chapters are anxious to create the full experience for BYU fans travelling from around the country (the T-shirt thing has been done everywhere I've gone). Neyland is our road mecca in 2019 so all BYU fans circled it on our calendars when the series was announced. We'll show up. We'll spend some money. And we won't drink your beer.

Happy to have you all around. We poke fun but we’re not jerks like Florida or Bama.

But if you all win please be kind. This place will seriously melt down if our newly anointed head coach fails this early in his career. It’ll be good you don’t drink because we will seriously run out of booze in Neyland.

Reactions: Hoosier Coug
Great to have some good football talk. The player on DL is Khyris Tonga #95. He was making plays (the only one who was) against LSU’s OL and Guice in 2017 as a just returned missionary. He was about 30 pounds OVERweight. Down to a slim 320 now and will control the middle.

Last year our, OL were three RM freshmen (two named 2018 frosh All-Americans), a sophomore, and one senior (worst of the group). So four of five return under their second year of tutelage from Jeff Grimes.

All we have heard about Tennessee’s DL is that they lost their only returning stats to a torn ACL and are counting on converted TEs.

Your OL has had six medical retirements since spring? You’re counting on true freshmen at two spots?

The converted TE probably won't start. We are waiting to see if a transfer will be eligible who was a 5* coming out of HS and a rotation player at Michigan. Our nose will probably be a R/S Freshman who was highly rated 4* and the other end is a guy who is sort of smaller at 285 but has been playing well. We also have 2 JUCO guys that could factor into the mix and maybe a couple of others. Darrell Taylor is one of the best pass rushers in the SEC playing Sam in our 3-4.

The OL is going to determine how far this team goes IMO while the DL is inexperienced, most believe there is size and talent.

The OL has a lot of experience but most of them just haven't played well. Chance Hall was the only big loss of the 6 retired OL. If Trey Smith plays most believe it will sure up the OL significantly. He was a projected first rounder after his freshman year before they discovered blood clots in his lungs early last year and then again later in the year. Our LT will most likely be Wanya Morris a freshman but very talented. Probably will make some mistakes. LG is probably Trey Smith. Center will be Brandon Kennedy (after grad-transferring from Bama only played against WVU last year before tearing an ACL). RG is a toss-up. Could be someone with experience or the other 5* OT Darnell Wright. RT is most likely Tatum over Wright. Been undersized most of his career but now has the size for the SEC at 320.

Man, that was a lot more than I intended.

The converted TE probably won't start. We are waiting to see if a transfer will be eligible who was a 5* coming out of HS and a rotation player at Michigan. Our nose will probably be a R/S Freshman who was highly rated 4* and the other end is a guy who is sort of smaller at 285 but has been playing well. We also have 2 JUCO guys that could factor into the mix and maybe a couple of others. Darrell Taylor is one of the best pass rushers in the SEC playing Sam in our 3-4.

The OL is going to determine how far this team goes IMO while the DL is inexperienced, most believe there is size and talent.

The OL has a lot of experience but most of them just haven't played well. Chance Hall was the only big loss of the 6 retired OL. If Trey Smith plays most believe it will sure up the OL significantly. He was a projected first rounder after his freshman year before they discovered blood clots in his lungs early last year and then again later in the year. Our LT will most likely be Wanya Morris a freshman but very talented. Probably will make some mistakes. LG is probably Trey Smith. Center will be Brandon Kennedy (after grad-transferring from Bama only played against WVU last year before tearing an ACL). RG is a toss-up. Could be someone with experience or the other 5* OT Darnell Wright. RT is most likely Tatum over Wright. Been undersized most of his career but now has the size for the SEC at 320.

Man, that was a lot more than I intended.
Probably alot more than he and byu expect too.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
LOL, you sometimes see the local mission leader grant permission for missionaries to attend a game (been more of a bowl game thing), but I doubt it will be the case here. Tickets are in high demand from the fan base. Have friends coming from 17 different states to attend this game.
Oh so one whole family is gonna be there, big deal. :rolleyes:

Like over 100,000 at Texas in 2014? Like over 85,000 at Nebraska in 2015? Like two NFL stadium games in 2016? Like 80,000 at Wisconsin in 2018?

Big venues might scare other non-conference teams, but not BYU. We play anywhere and win our fair share. Gonna be the 11 between the lines and not the 100,000 outside them that will have any impact.
Not putting down any of those stadiums but Neyland is on a different level than those...That's not being bias that is just the truth...Don't believe me ask Baker Mayfield...He said Neyland is a different kind of loud....And you'll see soon enough...I've been to Darrell Royal stadium and have hear louder crowds at a 1/2 quarters full Miami hurricane game than there...Enjoy your trip and just have some fun.

Yep, probably even worse than you suspect. Freshmen linemen barely hitting 220. We'll be lucky to field a team.
I'd bet everything you own on BYU. Just a suggestion..but do it.

UT played Utah St a few years back. They talked about some of their guys like you talk about this guy. These are the kinds of players UT sees every week in the SEC.

Will make a good challenge for sure then. I did not see a lot of athleticism from them last year but they played well together and seemed well coached.

It is a huge question mark. But they are big, strong, and athletic. Of course, that doesn't necessarily make them good football players but it is a better place to start than the alternative. We'll know more about them before UT plays BYU.

The TE I'm aware of isn't new to the DL. IIRC, it was speculated he could play DE or TE. He bounced around a little before settling in and receiving S&C designed to make him a DL.

Not sure about 6 but there has been some culling. One OT transferred to USC but never really played to expectations at UT. He was going to be passed.

There's actually good competition on the OL right now. One of those Fr pushed Trey Smith inside to OG. He beat out guys who have started at LT and done a decent job. The other probably won't begin the season as a starter but is thought by many to have a chance to start before the end of the year.

These Freshmen were rated #2 and #6 among HS OT's in the 2019 class. They aren't your normal Fr in any respect. Both are athletic and around 6'6"/320 lbs. IIRC, Morris is said to have picked up the O especially well after being an EE.

VN Store

Back