'20 TN ATH Reggie Grimes (Oklahoma commit)

I like the kid a lot and know his entire family. After watching him play against SHS Friday I can away even less impressed. He carry the ball a few times, his TD was his first carry. It was very clear that Siegel players was afraid to tackle him. It wasn't like he ran over some one or out ran them. It was about 5 guys who just fell at his feet scared. On defense Grimes looked lost he wasn’t aggressive, he wasn’t coming off the ball with speed or power. He's huge that’s about it, at this point he’s average football player. Siegel ran several plays at him and the linemen blocked him very well. The one defense play he made they tried to block him with a undersized TE. It was several players 97, 25, 47 on Ravenwood defense that was very good. Siegel has couple athletes on their team too.

Yup.

Eventually to compete with the Bamas/UGAs consistently you need the top 5 classes, but for us to get to that point step one is to beat Missouri/SC/Kentucky/Vandy consistently. Top 10-12 classes with good development/coaching will so that. Then we can start reeling in the top 5 classes.

I actually don't agree with this. The difference between 4-12 is arbitrary at best. LSU finished 5th in 2019 with 3/11 on stars (5 and 4 stars) and we went 2/11 and finished 12th. You're splitting hairs at that point.

If we finish consistently in the 5-12 range, with good coaching, we will be competitive with anyone in the country.

So I am a little bit confused here. I have read on here that Grimes isnt nearly as good as his ranking suggests. But now it seems he is? What gives?

I’m still sticking to my case that Grimes is overanked by the recruiting services.

No matter where he goes to college, he’s going to need a lot of development.

Seems like he lacks that “fire” in his game.

Reactions: #Vol4Life1991
So I am a little bit confused here. I have read on here that Grimes isnt nearly as good as his ranking suggests. But now it seems he is? What gives?
Seems to be whether you're going with recruiting services or football coaches. He's obviously an athlete, but is he a football player?

Last edited:
Seems to be whether you going with recruiting services or football coaches. He's obviously an athlete, but is he a football player?

Nick Saban and Dabo don’t seem to think so.

And I don’t believe for a second that they’re being “selective”.

He’s simply not that good of a football player right now.

Nick Saban and Dabo don’t seem to think so.

And I don’t believe for a second that they’re being “selective”.

He’s simply not that good of a football player right now.
Nick Saban and Dabo can also pick the 5 star for that position that they want to right now. We can't. If Jeremy Pruitt thinks he can turn him into a football player then I want him. He's an athlete. Pruitt is the best defensive coach in the country.

I’m still sticking to my case that Grimes is overanked by the recruiting services.

No matter where he goes to college, he’s going to need a lot of development.

Seems like he lacks that “fire” in his game.
I have heard this numerous times.

I like the kid a lot and know his entire family. After watching him play against SHS Friday I can away even less impressed. He carry the ball a few times, his TD was his first carry. It was very clear that Siegel players was afraid to tackle him. It wasn't like he ran over some one or out ran them. It was about 5 guys who just fell at his feet scared. On defense Grimes looked lost he wasn’t aggressive, he wasn’t coming off the ball with speed or power. He's huge that’s about it, at this point he’s average football player. Siegel ran several plays at him and the linemen blocked him very well. The one defense play he made they tried to block him with a undersized TE. It was several players 97, 25, 47 on Ravenwood defense that was very good. Siegel has couple athletes on their team too.

I'm still TBD on him. I don't think the recruiting sites have completely whiffed on him.

I also remember these kinds of statements against Bituli coming out of HS. He turned out really well considering the LB position group as a whole over the past 3 years. So, it's difficult for me to completely write-off a kid that plays TN HS ball.

Nick Saban and Dabo can also pick the 5 star for that position that they want to right now. We can't. If Jeremy Pruitt thinks he can turn him into a football player then I want him. He's an athlete. Pruitt is the best defensive coach in the country.

If he’s playing like a 5* should then sure, but his tape doesn’t seem to show his ranking.

If Pruitt decides he wants him, I’m all for it but he needs a lot of development.

Of course Saban & Dabo can get all the 5*s they want, but if they believe Grimes could challenge some of their players on the roster, they’d be going after him a lot harder.

Bama legacy that still hasn’t committed to Bama by now shows me all I need to know.

VN Store

Back