Transfer Portal - SEC

I don't think you can count walk-ons. Maybe preferred walk-ons. Walk-ons are there by choice and some are not even recruited. Preferred walk-ons are there as recruited just no baseball money. I still have not heard anyone say that Coach V lied to a player. He may not be holding to some of the offers and money that was given by the last coaching staff, but that is not on him. I believe that every kid coming into a P5 SEC schools knows they will have to fight to earn a spot and if they do not reach the level that was expected that they may be sent somewhere else. I just have a hard time believing that there are players who enter a SEC school and think they will be guaranteed a spot no matter what. If they do not perform to the level required to help the team, they should be helped to go somewhere they can play. If I was hearing that the coaching staff was cutting them in the spring the day before season started and not trying to help them get somewhere else I would be worried. But that is not the case. The guys that I know the coaching staff has encouraged to leave because they don't fit the program have all been helped to find another place if they wanted it. I don't think a new coach has to hold to the word of the previous coach. Normally there is a reason the previous coach is no longer there and it usually has to do with recruiting the wrong guys.

Reactions: RollerVol
There we go again. That same ole walks on don’t Count BS.

Good Lord it’s disgusting

I too believe this is unfortunate. I also agree that some are more egregious about it than others. My hope is that as the talent get's to a consistent SEC level, the volume will curb a bit. But I also believe that the majority of this issue can be placed on the system. When you have commits that can dart to MBL before setting foot on campus, and most draftable products that will only give you 3 years at most, it leaves baseball programs at a severe disadvantage. You have no choice but to over sign or face the decimation of your team in short order after a couple of unlucky years. This especially if you are trying to rebuild a program.

My hope is that Tennessee is being straight up with this players and no promises are being made. If so, I feel less concerned with this direction until our program is rebuilt. My guess is that is this case as I have heard of no backlash from disgruntled players or the media.

I knew you would
There we go again. That same ole walks on don’t Count BS.

Good Lord it’s disgusting
I knew you would reply. Mine is just the fact that if you are a true walk-on and not a preferred walk-on (again for those who are not just looking to argue a preferred walk-on has an agreement with the staff that they will be kept through the fall, a walk-on has no agreement). I think you count preferred walk-ons but do not count walk-ons. There is a difference in MOST people's minds who understand recruiting. Preferred walk-ons are normally very good players who have solid academic money and instate tuition. Walk-ons can be a guy who was not recruited and just wants the chance to make the team. You don't have to have any credentials to be a part of the walk-on tryout which is required by NCAA. Why would you count these guys as recruits? I have never known a player who was recruited by the staff not getting a preferred walk-on slot/status.

I knew you would

I knew you would reply. Mine is just the fact that if you are a true walk-on and not a preferred walk-on (again for those who are not just looking to argue a preferred walk-on has an agreement with the staff that they will be kept through the fall, a walk-on has no agreement). I think you count preferred walk-ons but do not count walk-ons. There is a difference in MOST people's minds who understand recruiting. Preferred walk-ons are normally very good players who have solid academic money and instate tuition. Walk-ons can be a guy who was not recruited and just wants the chance to make the team. You don't have to have any credentials to be a part of the walk-on tryout which is required by NCAA. Why would you count these guys as recruits? I have never known a player who was recruited by the staff not getting a preferred walk-on slot/status.
I understand exactly what you mean. Anyone who played understands it. A player contacts the coaching staff and says I would love a chance to walk on. Staff says you’re welcome to tryout and be part of the team in the fall and you can earn a jersey in the spring. Player then tweets out and tells perfect game he is going to Tennessee. PG has it in there system as a player coming and it’s in that number. This happens and no promises were ever made by the coaching staff. It then looks like more players are coming in then really are. A recruited walk on is just like a scholarship guy imo. Tons of really good players are walk-ons. CTV loves walk ons hell he was a walk on at Missouri .

I understand exactly what you mean. Anyone who played understands it. A player contacts the coaching staff and says I would love a chance to walk on. Staff says you’re welcome to tryout and be part of the team in the fall and you can earn a jersey in the spring. Player then tweets out and tells perfect game he is going to Tennessee. PG has it in there system as a player coming and it’s in that number. This happens and no promises were ever made by the coaching staff. It then looks like more players are coming in then really are. A recruited walk on is just like a scholarship guy imo. Tons of really good players are walk-ons. CTV loves walk ons hell he was a walk on at Missouri .

Come on man don’t give me that “anyone that played” bs

It’s really simple regarding players at the D1 level. There are 4 types

1) scholarship players that can’t be cut from the 35 man roster in a year they receive money

2) a walk on player that is guaranteed a spot on the 35 man roster. My guess is none of the Vols are offered this and if there are it’s only 1 or 2. This is considered a preferred walk on spot

3) a walk on player that is offered a spot on the fall roster, offered a spot to work out with the team and attend all team functions. My guess is every single one of the commitments listed we see on PG are in this group or the scholarship group. They know they are fighting for 7 walk on spots

4) and then the player that sees a flyer on the student union wall and bets his frat boys he can make the team and attends the school wide tryout without participating in any of the team activities beforehand. In fact most tryouts aren’t even with the regular team. I’d venture a guess that the Vols haven’t kept such a player on their 35 man roster in a long time.

So let’s make this clear. If a player is in either of the first 3 types of players they damn sure count and they damn sure have a positive impact on college baseball. Every single successful program needs players from 2) and 3) to become stars and believe it or not there are some players in the big leagues right now that were in group 3 and we have some foolish ass posters suggesting those kids shouldn’t count. That’s ridiculous

Last edited:
Come on man don’t give me that “anyone that played” bs

It’s really simple regarding players at the D1 level. There are 4 types

1) scholarship players that can’t be cut from the 35 man roster in a year they receive money

2) a walk on player that is guaranteed a spot on the 35 man roster. My guess is none of the Vols are offered this and if there are it’s only 1 or 2. This is considered a preferred walk on spot

3) a walk on player that is offered a spot on the fall roster, offered a spot to work out with the team and attend all team functions. My guess is every single one of the commitments listed we see on PG are in this group or the scholarship group. They know they are fighting for 7 walk on spots

4) and then the player that sees a flyer on the student union wall and bets his frat boys he can make the team and attends the school wide tryout without participating in any of the team activities beforehand. In fact most tryouts aren’t even with the regular team. I’d venture a guess that the Vols haven’t kept such a player on their 35 man roster in a long time.

So let’s make this clear. If a player is in either of the first 3 types of players they damn sure count and they damn sure have a positive impact on college baseball. Every single successful program needs players from 2) and 3) to become stars and believe it or not there are some players in the big leagues right now that were in group 3 and we have some foolish ass posters suggesting those kids shouldn’t count. That’s ridiculous
Who says they don’t count? What do you mean by that? I don’t want to speak for the other poster but I’m sure he means That it’s a player in that number that wasn’t promised a damn thing but to tryout. That’s all he was saying. Why wouldn’t a coach want a lot of those? Of course he would. It creates competition, it creates a fall of intense workouts and big time competition. Cause guess what ? That’s what the SEC is. If kids are scared to compete then they will crumble in this conference. Not sure if you have met any members of this coaching staff or not but they are pretty much straight shooters. They aren’t lying to kids and ************ them around.

Remember you defended the coaches for lying to a kid less than 24 hours ago. You said it’s ok to promise kid $ in year and not give it to them. So yea I’d say this staff isn’t
Straight shooters as you say
Everyone knows they are year to year man. This will be my last post on the topic. It’s nauseating. Pretty much every coach in the country are liars then. In corporate America and the real world there are terminations every day. It’s life. I defended the staff or any staff for that matter for not renewing a scholarship if the performance or attitude wasn’t in line for what they want, yes I did.

Everyone knows they are year to year man. This will be my last post on the topic. It’s nauseating. Pretty much every coach in the country are liars then. In corporate America and the real world there are terminations every day. It’s life. I defended the staff or any staff for that matter for not renewing a scholarship if the performance or attitude wasn’t in line for what they want, yes I did.

Like I said $ is year to year but getting a kid to campus under the promise he’s getting money in year 2 and not giving it to him is a bold faced lie.

You can’t have it both ways my man. You can’t say lying is ok because the system is broken but then claim the coaches are straight shooters.

Like I said yesterday it’s perfectly fine to admit winning is the only thing that matters. Players being lied to get to the bottom
Line of more wins is fine if winning is all that matters. Just admit it and stop trying to talk out of both sides of your mouth

There won’t be any linked media reports. No one cares about the dirty side of college baseball.

I could name specific names but I won’t
Ok, here I go. They may not come out and say you’re cut. “You’re not getting $$$$ cut.” They may not “lie” to you but the coaches treat some kids like 💩💩💩💩 to get them to leave to get that $$$$. They may choose not to give you AB’s or pens. They really “can’t” take scholarship $$$$ away from you. You have to really screw up TBH but they find a way to “choke you out”. This staff is very seasoned in that fashion and know how to really screw with them. Again, believe it if you want to. It’s true. In pro baseball it’s out there why any parent would want their kid to go to UT ESPECIALLY with this years numbers. Just say’n.

Last edited:
Ok, here I go. They may not come out and say you’re cut. “You’re not getting $$$$ cut.” They may not “lie” to you but the coaches treat some kids like 💩💩💩💩 to get them to leave to get that $$$$. They may choose not to give you AB’s or pens. They really “can’t” take scholarship $$$$ away from you. You have to really screw up TBH but they find a way to “choke you out”. This staff is very seasoned in that fashion and know how to really screw with them. Again, believe it if you want to. It’s true. In pro baseball it’s out there why any parent would want their kid to go to UT ESPECIALLY with this years numbers. Just say’n.
Aww what a novel concept. Not giving kids AB’s and pitching appearances when they don’t deserve it. Maybe other coaches around the country can study this staffs approach on this and not give all 35 players ABs and pitching appearances. Perhaps coach Pruitt should play all the 3rd stringers as well. I didn’t realize this coaching was the only one who does this.

Aww what a novel concept. Not giving kids AB’s and pitching appearances when they don’t deserve it. Maybe other coaches around the country can study this staffs approach on this and not give all 35 players ABs and pitching appearances. Perhaps coach Pruitt should play all the 3rd stringers as well. I didn’t realize this coaching was the only one who does this.

I do agree that in game reps shouldn’t be given but I do think the big numbers issue and practice reps is a legit question.

I’d be curious to know how regular practice reps and especially intrasquad ABs and innings pitched are regulated. Imo some of your better players could be suffering due to limited ABs with time regulations for practice

I do agree that in game reps shouldn’t be given but I do think the big numbers issue and practice reps is a legit question.

I’d be curious to know how regular practice reps and especially intrasquad ABs and innings pitched are regulated. Imo some of your better players could be suffering due to limited ABs with time regulations for practice
I guess I should’ve been more specific. I did mean practice time/reps not game reps.

there's got to be a instructional video on recruiting included in here somewhere...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The person who was rated by his peers in a survey with D1 baseball.com as the top recruiter in the country and is consistently pulling in top 10 classes should be trusted by Volnation. Disgruntled friend or parent of someone @UTKARMA are very comical

The person who was rated by his peers in a survey with D1 baseball.com as the top recruiter in the country and is consistently pulling in top 10 classes should be trusted by Volnation. Disgruntled friend or parent of someone @UTKARMA are very comical
As are you. You’re so far up....... never mind.

For the record I trust CTV to recruit in a way that takes this program to its ceiling of success.

But that doesn’t mean I approve or condone the method of how he’s going to do it.

For the record I trust CTV to recruit in a way that takes this program to its ceiling of success.

But that doesn’t mean I approve or condone the method of how he’s going to do it.
Yeah I know that. You know your stuff it’s your prerogative to agree or disagree and I respect that. I feel some others have a hidden agenda and are taking unfair and untruthful attacks and it’s apparent.

VN Store

Back