MoB_MoVols

EasyMoneySniper
q4iqbrtiq0hbofmamwwf

6'10
Oak Hill Academy
Mouth of Wilson, VA (Evans, GA)

Rivals

Last edited:
One glance at Tennessee’s 2019-2020 roster shows that Rick Barnes and his staff have been focused on getting bigger. Only one player on this upcoming year’s squad is under 6-foot-6. Targeting 2020 prospects like Oak Hill big man Dylan Cardwell
shows that the staff intends to stick to that strategy. Cardwell (6-foot-10, 230 pounds) is something of a rarity these days, a true big man who likes to bang in the low post. He’s got plenty of offensive skill, but he’s comfortable operating in the paint where he’s a capable finisher around the basket, a tenacious rebounder and an old school rim protector. Those skills were on full display earlier this month at the prestigious NBA Player’s Association Top-100 Camp on the University of Virginia campus where Cardwell was one of the more effective bigs on the floor.
Tennessee’s pursuit of Cardwell began last fall and the Vols had him on campus this past season for an official visit. “I visited back in February and what really stood out to me was how the culture is there. I really liked seeing how supportive the students where of the basketball players. I spent my whole visit with Grant (Williams), getting to know him and his family,” Cardwell said. “I got to know a lot about his background, he wasn’t a big time recruit, and then after three years he’s getting ready for the NBA draft. “I got a chance to see their work ethic, how they approach game day. It was a lot of fun to see how they go about their business.” Like virtually every recruit we speak to on Tennessee’s after they’ve visited Rocky Top, Cardwell spoke glowingly about the success the Vols have had in the area of player development during the Rick Barnes era. Williams, Admiral Schofield and Jordan Bone all entered college as under the radar prospects and all three heard their names called at last week’s NBA Draft. That’s a resounding endorsement of the Tennessee staff’s ability to make players better and something that Cardwell took to heart.
“The player development stood out a whole lot. They showed me pictures of Grant and Admiral, what they looked like when they first got there and then three and four years later. That was just crazy, it really caught my eye,” he said. “The weight training coach (Garrett Mendwald), that guy is really into his job. He showed me some things there, like with my posture, that helped me out and he fixed me up really quick. It showed me how tied in with the players he is.” Cardwell presently has no top five, and he doesn’t plan to sign until next spring’s late period, but it may be noteworthy that Tennessee was the only program he made an official visit to during his junior year. One underrated detail that Cardwell liked about the Tennessee program was the close proximity of all aspects of the program — the arena, the practice facility and the academic support center in relation to the athletic dorm. “One thing I look at is how close the gym is to the dorms. That’s big for me, because coming from Oak Hill it’s small and everything is close together. That’s actually a big factor for me,” he said.“I really liked how that was set up at Tennessee. The dorms, the arena, the practice facility, it’s like all one big block.The academic center was a block in the other direction. I liked how it was all tied into one little spot. I’m not real big on driving so I really liked how close everything was.” Rivals rates Cardwell as a four-star prospect and the No. 114 player in the 2020 class.
-VQ

Noteworthy that he’s planning on holding off until spring, same for Cam Hayes...should give Tennessee a couple of guys they’ve been pursuing for a long time that they can continue to recruit into spring in the event of attrition.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
Yeah certainly odd. I was more so posting it because I wasn't aware there was a connection to he and Auburn.
I didn’t realize that either, but that seemed like a bit of a stretch...the nephew oh a football coaches wife? He’s a basketball player, I mean maybe it’s a big deal but I’m guessing not.

Tennessee hasn't had a player from Virginia since Duke Crews and Tennessee needs to begin recruiting the state of Virginia more heavily in basketball.

I didn’t realize that either, but that seemed like a bit of a stretch...the nephew oh a football coaches wife? He’s a basketball player, I mean maybe it’s a big deal but I’m guessing not.
Pearl is crazy connected at Mceachern

My prediction: Auburn

Cardwell’s recruitment just continues to confirm Barnes’ commitment to post offense. I like it. In this day when everyone wants that stretch 4 or 5, we need to be “that school” who beats folks up down low. North Carolina does it year after year and works for them.

Dylan Cardwell’s trajectory has been steadily rising over the past year. It started with the decision to leave home for his junior year to play at prestigious Oak Hill Academy and continued this travel season with AOT in the Nike EYBL. The 6-foot-10 center worked himself into great physical shape and the rest of his game took off from there. Now a four-star prospect in the 2020 class and back in Georgia for his senior year at McEachern High School, Cardwell mentioned Cincinnati, Clemson, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Miami, Northwestern, Tennessee, UConn and Vanderbilt as schools coming at him hardest. The one school he visited was Tennessee, but he’s also been on campus at Georgia in the past. Duke has also shown some interest of late. The next step for Cardwell will be official visits. He already set dates with Vanderbilt (Aug. 31), Georgia (Sept. 7) and UConn (Oct. 5). At the moment, he plans to use his other two official visits on Miami and Tennessee, but it is subject to change if new schools come in.
Duke: “They called me a few times right after the Peach Jam and just said they are interested and are going to be watching me.”
Georgia: “I like Coach Crean. I like how he talks about the team and trying to develop everybody. He’s not stuck in the old-fashioned way of basketball. He wants everybody to develop all their skills and become a better player.”
Miami: “It’s in the ACC and they have done a great job with big men. Coach Larranaga has a history of developing big men and they have a good program.”
Tennessee: “I like the culture and how the community is and how the campus is set up. Everything there like the gym, the dorms, the cafeteria and the student center is on the same block. I just like the students and the basketball team get along.”
UConn: “They also have a history of developing big men and they are going back to the Big East, which is great. I think they are going in the right direction as a program.”
Vanderbilt: “I don’t know a ton about them, but I know the head coach Jerry Stackhouse played at Oak Hill, which is where I just came from. I want to see how they plan to use me, how they practice, and how they plan to develop their bigs.”
Cardwell made it pretty clear that he is still open to all schools and willing to listen to new schools that come into the picture. Right now, the schools in line for official visits have to feel best about their standing with the Georgia native. Let’s give Georgia and Tennessee a slight edge as he goes into his official visits, but again, his recruitment is very fluid. He does plan to take all five official visits before making a final decision.
-Rivals

Man, sounds like Tennessee could have a very good chance at Cardwell if they push for him...will be interesting to see how they handle him/Hall.

Man, sounds like Tennessee could have a very good chance at Cardwell if they push for him...will be interesting to see how they handle him/Hall.
I want Hall, but would love Cardwell as a consolation prize or even if he becomes the priority big in the '20 class

VN Store

Back