Tennessee 16.5 point underdogs to Florida

On the one hand, I think the spread is way too big.

On the other hand, I’m trying to figure out where on the field UT has an advantage they could exploit.

Fair?
From @westgatevegas

Ignoring the fact that any line at this point in the season is meaningless, I find it too high, simply because Florida is replacing pretty much their entire OL. I am far from predicting a Vol win and in fact would not be surprised to see Florida cover that spread, but I do think it's too high if considered an actual predictor.

Of course, it's not, it's a number designed to encourage betting, but as an aside I don't think Florida makes it to 10 wins this year. Would like to say we might be one of the "L's" but have to reluctantly conclude that's unlikely.

I was at the Florida Michigan game, and the gators looked extremely good. But they've had the offseason from hell it seems like, and they don't appear to be the same team. That spread seems insanely high. If we go down there and lose by that much, Pruitt's season is going to be a long one.

Ignoring the fact that any line at this point in the season is meaningless, I find it too high, simply because Florida is replacing pretty much their entire OL. I am far from predicting a Vol win and in fact would not be surprised to see Florida cover that spread, but I do think it's too high if considered an actual predictor.

Of course, it's not, it's a number designed to encourage betting, but as an aside I don't think Florida makes it to 10 wins this year. Would like to say we might be one of the "L's" but have to reluctantly conclude that's unlikely.
Lines at this time of year are only meaningless to those that do not gamble. Those that win at gambling make their money on early lines.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
17 point loss in Gainesville seems about right to me, honestly. Losing our best defensive tackle sure didn't help things.

We lost 6 games last year by more than 3 TDs. I think we'll be better, but losing a game by 17 on the road to a preseason top 10 team isn't the craziest thing.

For this game, this season, Tennessee will flood Florida. No one believes this now, but the dam will burst and Pruitt will yield to the frustration and anger of his players. You will hear the roar of rushing water as the "Orange River" bursts its bank.

Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL
I like it, more room for players to get determined and shows the lack of respect the program has received. These players need to see this stuff and realize no one thinks they are any good. Tighten ranks and give'em hell this year. The War is about to begin.

Defensive secondary. Y'all just lost ANOTHER one today right?

Lost another guy who had potential to be a good rotational player and add depth, but not a guy they were counting on. Huggins has not been with the team for weeks now, hasn’t practiced at all in Fall Camp. UF returns 8 guys in the secondary from last year’s 10-3 team: CJ Henderson, Marco Wilson, Trey Dean, Brad Stewart, Donovan Stiner, Juwan Taylor, Shawn Davis, Amari Burney (if necessary, moved to LB).

Last edited:
I was at the Florida Michigan game, and the gators looked extremely good. But they've had the offseason from hell it seems like, and they don't appear to be the same team.

The “offseason from hell” is stemming from two events that have been way overblown in terms of how they actually impact UF on the field; Chris Steele transferring and John Huggins getting in trouble and booted from the team. Steele may have been a factor down the road but his loss does nothing to impact the 2019 team. Huggins would have played and showed promise during the Spring, but UF has been without him for weeks and have long moved on from him. Yes, losing these two hurt depth, but they aren’t catastrophic. Neither of these two guys played a down versus Michigan and every secondary player you saw in that Michigan game is back, except Chauncey Gardner-Johnson but his loss is offset by the return of Marco Wilson.

I think Florida will be significantly better than the team that went 10-3 last year barring a really bad injury season on the o-line or in the secondary. If UF stays relatively healthy, we’ll see a playoff contender.

The “offseason from hell” is stemming from two events that have been way overblown in terms of how they actually impact UF on the field; Chris Steele transferring and John Huggins getting in trouble and booted from the team. Steele may have been a factor down the road but his loss does nothing to impact the 2019 team. Huggins would have played and showed promise during the Spring, but UF has been without him for weeks and have long moved on from him. Yes, losing these two hurt depth, but they aren’t catastrophic. Neither of these two guys played a down versus Michigan and every secondary player you saw in that Michigan game is back, except Chauncey Gardner-Johnson but his loss is offset by the return of Marco Wilson.

I think Florida will be significantly better than the team that went 10-3 last year barring a really bad injury season on the o-line or in the secondary. If UF stays relatively healthy, we’ll see a playoff contender.

Omg.... you honestly don’t believe UF is a playoff contender do you?

Reactions: AlcoVOLic
Omg.... you honestly don’t believe UF is a playoff contender do you?

Omg.... I honestly and completely do, if they stay healthy. Why wouldn’t I? They finished 6th in America last year and start this season ranked 8th, having beaten two teams ranked ahead of them (LSU and Michigan). You do realize 4 teams make the playoff right, and if they’re ranked 8th, that alone says they start the season as a contender. They return practically the entire team that went 10-3 last year. And most experts would agree that they are a contender, unless everyone is in the business of ranking a team #8 for the hell of it.

You appear to be in serious denial about what’s happening in Gainesville.

Florida’s “big weakness” on D is NOT the secondary. UF returns 4 of their 5 starters in the secondary from 2018; CJ Henderson and Marco Wilson at CB, and they return four different guys at Safety who all started at some point during the year and all played extensively; Brad Stewart, Jawan Taylor, Shawn Davis and Donovan Stiner. The only significant loss was Star Chauncey Gardner Johnson but he’s replaced by Trey Dean, a guy who started 10 games at CB last year. They also have Amari Burney who played extensively at Star last year but was moved to LB this year, he can slide back to Star if necessary. So UF has 8 guys who have played a ton of SEC football in the secondary. Behind them are 3 true freshmen. UF has a storied history of true freshmen balling-out in the secondary including Trey Dean last year and CJ and Marco the year before. The Secondary will be a strength, although some of the projected depth has thinned-out with the injury to McWilliams and Huggins getting booted off the team.

You were right about UF’s biggest question mark being the o-line. Mullen feels very good about the starting 5, but he’ll get nervous if anyone goes down.

Regarding UF being “beaten up,” UF has a bye week after Miami which will help recoup everyone from what will definitely be a physical game v Miami. But frankly, it’s football, UT has just as much a chance of being “beaten up” as UF does.

You should have seen enough of Franks last year to know that he has made tremendous strides at QB under Mullen. Underestimate him if you like, but he’s poised for a huge year from everything I’m hearing.

tenor.gif

Omg.... I honestly and completely do, if they stay healthy. Why wouldn’t I? They finished 6th in America last year and start this season ranked 8th, having beaten two teams ranked ahead of them (LSU and Michigan). You do realize 4 teams make the playoff right, and if they’re ranked 8th, that alone says they start the season as a contender. They return practically the entire team that went 10-3 last year. And most experts would agree that they are a contender, unless everyone is in the business of ranking a team #8 for the hell of it.

Maybe he's in denial but you very well could be as well. Haven't you learned from your last two coaches? They both have really good first years, what happened after that? Collapse. I think Dan Mullen is a fine coach, but my goodness there's some culture issues brewing. Plain to see.

Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL

Smh.....

Reactions: barrylee and Behr
Maybe he's in denial but you very well could be as well. Haven't you learned from your last two coaches? They both have really good first years, what happened after that? Collapse. I think Dan Mullen is a fine coach, but my goodness there's some culture issues brewing. Plain to see.

Not sure how there are culture issues “brewing” when Mullen has kicked off 4 guys for getting in trouble, with none of the 4 actually facing any charges. That looks more like a culture clean up than a “culture issue brewing.” Kenneth George is still on the team at Tennessee, right? Is Pruitt condoning a culture that promotes guys punching police officers? I think Pruitt and Mullen deserve the benefit of the doubt on how they run their programs.

Florida’s “big weakness” on D is NOT the secondary. UF returns 4 of their 5 starters in the secondary from 2018; CJ Henderson and Marco Wilson at CB, and they return four different guys at Safety who all started at some point during the year and all played extensively; Brad Stewart, Jawan Taylor, Shawn Davis and Donovan Stiner. The only significant loss was Star Chauncey Gardner Johnson but he’s replaced by Trey Dean, a guy who started 10 games at CB last year. They also have Amari Burney who played extensively at Star last year but was moved to LB this year, he can slide back to Star if necessary. So UF has 8 guys who have played a ton of SEC football in the secondary. Behind them are 3 true freshmen. UF has a storied history of true freshmen balling-out in the secondary including Trey Dean last year and CJ and Marco the year before. The Secondary will be a strength, although some of the projected depth has thinned-out with the injury to McWilliams and Huggins getting booted off the team.

You were right about UF’s biggest question mark being the o-line. Mullen feels very good about the starting 5, but he’ll get nervous if anyone goes down.

Regarding UF being “beaten up,” UF has a bye week after Miami which will help recoup everyone from what will definitely be a physical game v Miami. But frankly, it’s football, UT has just as much a chance of being “beaten up” as UF does.

You should have seen enough of Franks last year to know that he has made tremendous strides at QB under Mullen. Underestimate him if you like, but he’s poised for a huge year from everything I’m hearing.
I would have bet $10K u would show up on this thread..

Butthurt.

Hey Jaws, you’re paper thin at DB right now and you know it. Quit crying.

Last edited:
Reactions: JacketVol and Behr

VN Store

Back