Scariest moment as a parent

I am not a parent but when it comes to my parents I can think of two stories that involve me that were probably pretty scary.

1. Dad and I used to wrestle around like most did. One time he was chasing me and grabbed my trailing leg causing me to lose control. I fell and smacked my head of the corner of a stone fireplace hearth. Rushed to the ER, cracked but not broken skull, some staples plenty of blood. I remember them separating my dad from the family while they asked us all questions about the incident incase of child abuse. We never wrestled after that. I never blamed my dad but I think he does.

2. Second one involves my mom. She was picking us up from school in the car line. I saw her moving forward and stop so I walked out in front of the car. Someone behind her honked and so she gassed it forward while not looking forward. I saw it coming and kinda jumped but ended up head down on the hood. She is freaking out already crying by the time she gets out of the car. I look up, she sees it me, and she stops crying and starts yelling at me. Always kinda bothered me she was more bothered about hitting another kid than she was me. I was completely fine, but she didnt know that.

I am not a parent but when it comes to my parents I can think of two stories that involve me that were probably pretty scary.

1. Dad and I used to wrestle around like most did. One time he was chasing me and grabbed my trailing leg causing me to lose control. I fell and smacked my head of the corner of a stone fireplace hearth. Rushed to the ER, cracked but not broken skull, some staples plenty of blood. I remember them separating my dad from the family while they asked us all questions about the incident incase of child abuse. We never wrestled after that. I never blamed my dad but I think he does.

2. Second one involves my mom. She was picking us up from school in the car line. I saw her moving forward and stop so I walked out in front of the car. Someone behind her honked and so she gassed it forward while not looking forward. I saw it coming and kinda jumped but ended up head down on the hood. She is freaking out already crying by the time she gets out of the car. I look up, she sees it me, and she stops crying and starts yelling at me. Always kinda bothered me she was more bothered about hitting another kid than she was me. I was completely fine, but she didnt know that.

They were really just trying to take you out because they like your sisters better.

Ditto on the siezures. I have a few bad diabetics work for me in the factories. Having one of those come on was freaky. If I had not known about their condition, not sure how I would have reacted.

As far as a child, my son was young. not really talking yet and was on a chair, or cabinet or something. and, fell straight back and landed on the hardwood floor completely flat on his back. Nothing was broken or wrong at the time but always wondered if that would come back to him later. At 16, he has now retired from his 4 year football career for his back. Messed it up doing dead lifts in weight training. Twice. After a misdiagnosis, and two years of playing thru what we thought were spasms, we finally got an x-ray that showed broken Pars in his L3 and L4. So, now I wonder if he was born without, or broken in that one fall, or actually broken from deadlifts. deadlifts have ruined many backs. High schoolers should not be doing those or squats. But, any way the fall was an oh crap moment cause when they scream and you turn and see them laying on the floor, do they have a broke back, neck, busted head.....

I react the same way. I wonder if it is a guy thing. After the crisis is under control and everything is on the right path I have to get away to gain control of my thoughts. It is like that fight or flight shuts off my ability to talk or think straight. It is also accompanied by a flood of emotions from anger to relief.

Same here. During an emergency situation I'm calm and fine, and handle it. I've had employees with blood shooting over equipment, to hair tangled in machines, you name it. Skin ripped of the back of the hand. It's afterwards I find a quiet place, get light headed, and usually puke.

My son was ok when he was born, however he stopped breathing the next morning while my daughter was holding him. The nurse grabbed him and rushed him to the neonatal ICU where they resuscitated him. He stopped breathing 7 times while he was in ICU. They never determined the cause. He never had any more spells after he left the hospital. He does have Asperger's though.

One more about my son. We were over at my mom's house when he was 6 years old. and she noticed that her pill container had been dumped the floor. She counted everyone and one of her blood sugar pills was missing. I don't think he took it, but better safe than sorry. I took him to the ER. He was admitted over the weekend. I remember it was the weekend that Earnhardt was killed. I actually saw that wreck in my son's hospital room. He was released without incident. I got in trouble with the wife when she got to the er for letting him out of my sight.

less scary, but I didn't know what was going on at time, if something wrong or just a part of birth. But, my son was like 24" long, and over 10 lbs. soon as they got him out they rushed him to another table and started sucking his lungs out. And then had him under a oxygen hood for a full day. So, being what is now my only son (wife has another), that was a little scary cause I didn't know anything. Was later told he had fluid in his lungs, and the hood was to get his oxygen saturation built up, that large babies like him have a heard time getting enough oxygen to build their lungs up on their own and he had to be over 95% to go home.

Now, my wife was pretty scary though. Water broke on a Saturday around 11pm. Did not officially declare her in labor till 7AM that sunday. Didn't get him popped out till almost 4pm. Seeing him come out of a 5'2" 120 pound woman was scary. 24". 10lb 3oz. 14.5" head. 16" chest. I had to go to the drug store and get diapers for a 6 month old. they didn't have any newborn diapers in the hospital to fit him.

I react the same way. I wonder if it is a guy thing. After the crisis is under control and everything is on the right path I have to get away to gain control of my thoughts. It is like that fight or flight shuts off my ability to talk or think straight. It is also accompanied by a flood of emotions from anger to relief.
Once my son was in with the docs one of the nurses said she would get my 3yo a snack if I needed a moment. She might have meant to clean all the puke off me but I used the time to find the empty chapel and let it all out. She saved me from doing it in front of my kids for which I am grateful

less scary, but I didn't know what was going on at time, if something wrong or just a part of birth. But, my son was like 24" long, and over 10 lbs. soon as they got him out they rushed him to another table and started sucking his lungs out. And then had him under a oxygen hood for a full day. So, being what is now my only son (wife has another), that was a little scary cause I didn't know anything. Was later told he had fluid in his lungs, and the hood was to get his oxygen saturation built up, that large babies like him have a heard time getting enough oxygen to build their lungs up on their own and he had to be over 95% to go home.

Now, my wife was pretty scary though. Water broke on a Saturday around 11pm. Did not officially declare her in labor till 7AM that sunday. Didn't get him popped out till almost 4pm. Seeing him come out of a 5'2" 120 pound woman was scary. 24". 10lb 3oz. 14.5" head. 16" chest. I had to go to the drug store and get diapers for a 6 month old. they didn't have any newborn diapers in the hospital to fit him.
That's a big baby. Thank God he was alright

Reactions: McDad
That's a big baby. Thank God he was alright

He was on the Wall of Fame in the baby unit. Biggest baby in that hospital up until they quit delivering there. and he also took a size 5 ring after they circumsized him. so, he had that going for him. lol.

In hind sight, she should have had a C-Section. But, they never estimated him over 9 pounds in all of her sonograms. And I'm only 5'8" and normal weight. So, he wasn't concerned with size of baby. He told us if I were like a big 6'3" type person and her only 5'2', he would plan on a C. So, one wasn't in the cards. after an all day birth, and him coming out so big, he looked at her after he got Ethan out, and said she could have handled another pound easy. Her foot twitched in that stirrup I noticed, so I assume she was serious when she told me later he almost got it across the head.

Reactions: VolNExile
Same here. During an emergency situation I'm calm and fine, and handle it. I've had employees with blood shooting over equipment, to hair tangled in machines, you name it. Skin ripped of the back of the hand. It's afterwards I find a quiet place, get light headed, and usually puke.
I saw a parasailing accident in Florida at PCB. It was horrible, and we were the first to them when they hit the ground, thought they were dead. I'm the same way, calm until the paramedics left, then broke down. It was two young girls, broke my heart.

I am not an angry person at all and I have rarely EVER yelled at my kids for anything. But once a bad situation has been averted I find myself often getting extremely angry over the situation. I guess being scared and angry go hand in hand.
When I’m scared, I get angry. People have said “you didn’t look scared,” but boy howdy, I was. My adrenaline just goes in a different direction.

Dude. That's crazy because....

My son slumped over and stopped breathing about 30 seconds after he was born. His airway was obsrructed and they were able to suction him and a few minutes later he was fine... and he has Aspergers.

We've always speculated along with various Doctors what impact the event may have had on his Neuro development.
Yep to both of you.

Again though, we have Aspergers on both sides of the family, so I’m not going to say that did it. Couldn’t have helped tho.

When I’m scared, I get angry. People have said “you didn’t look scared,” but boy howdy, I was. My adrenaline just goes in a different direction.
I do that, and this is a bad story. My friend was spending the night when i was a senior in high school. My parents said they were going up to the neighbors (walking) to visit. It was dark, and we had all the lights off except my tv in my room upstairs. I heard something, and the dog started barking. There had recently been a couple of break ins around us, so I got worried. We definitely heard a big thud, so I walked out of my room and into my sister's room across the hall. Nothing there, so I came out and started down the hallway. As soon as i got to the bathroom (it's dark and i can't see hardly anything), someone grabbed me and I heard a weird voice say "I've got you". I swung as hard as I could yelling "no you don't", and connected with the punch. Our upstairs bathroom had a glass door on the shower, and I heard it break and someone hit the floor. Then I heard my mom's voice in pain. I turned the light on, and sure enough there laid mom in broken glass trying to breathe. I hit her in the chest and made a fracture, she still has a knot today from it. I cried because I hurt her, and I thought my dad was going to kill me, literally. I just was going down swinging if I was going down.

This one is fresh. Yesterday morning fresh. I woke up and got ready for work as normal. I had my shirt dewrinkling in the dryer before I left. I went to check in on the kids like I do everyday. I get to my 5 year old daughter's room, her bed was empty. She gets up sometimes and goes and crawls in bed with my wife after I leave so I thought maybe she snuck by me while I was in the laundry room. Nope, not in bed with my wife. I go back across the house looking all around on the way to the boys room. Not in the bunk bed with either of them, not in their big closet, not in the bathrooms. Panic set in, there was no where else she would be. I turn all the lights on, wake my wife up, slinging things around for the possibilty she in some random corner. I check all the locks, still locked. Start checking all the windows, hollering for her. Finally, she comes walking out of my sons' room. I scoop her up, still in shock. She had gotten up, went to thier room, crawled under their bed with her blanket, tablet, and headphones. Had no idea I was looking for her until she noticed the lights come on. She had never done that before, so I didn't even think about it. I was convinced someone had somehow taken my daughter. Worst feeling I have ever had, dripping sweat, shaking. Everyone seems to get a kick out of it now, except me. I was terrified. I'm not considering getting her a new necklace with a secret gps tracker....

He was on the Wall of Fame in the baby unit. Biggest baby in that hospital up until they quit delivering there. and he also took a size 5 ring after they circumsized him. so, he had that going for him. lol.

In hind sight, she should have had a C-Section. But, they never estimated him over 9 pounds in all of her sonograms. And I'm only 5'8" and normal weight. So, he wasn't concerned with size of baby. He told us if I were like a big 6'3" type person and her only 5'2', he would plan on a C. So, one wasn't in the cards. after an all day birth, and him coming out so big, he looked at her after he got Ethan out, and said she could have handled another pound easy. Her foot twitched in that stirrup I noticed, so I assume she was serious when she told me later he almost got it across the head.
They estimated our son at 7lb the day before scheduling a c section. He had flipped and turned butt down in the days before. Anyways when they pulled him out I laughed and said holy ****. I’ve seen enough fish to know what 7 pounds looks like and that wasn’t 7 pounds. Weighed in at 8 15+. His pulse ox did not meet their requirements so he had to go to NICU for a bit. He looked like Buddy the Elf in there.

When it comes to new babies, there's science, and then there's reality.

Glad that everything worked out! {{{{{ hugs to your wife! }}}}} My last one (a girl, home birth) was 9 lb 10 oz, due November 15, born December 3. Yikes. Some things, you never forget, lol. (She's 6 feet tall now.)

I was at one of our son's baseball tournaments with our daughter who was 4 maybe 5 at the time. She was playing with some other kids beside the bleachers, turned around and she was gone. Other kids said she went and got into a car and the car left. I've been under fire before but never felt panic or fear like I did that day. Turns out it was her grandmother, my wife forgot to tell me she was coming to pick up dear daughter at the ball field.
Jesus

Have hard woods through out the house. Last month my daughter and I were playing. I will never forget the sound of her head “bouncing” off the floor. She was fine but I have never known that kind of fear before. Pails in comparison to most stories I know .

2 stories. Same son.

He gut stuck in the birth canal when my wife was in labor with shoulder dystocia. The midwife got real concerned and when i saw her expression I did too. She called for emergency assistance. Thankfully we delivered in the hospital so the team was there in under a minute. She delivered him but he wasn't breathing and had no movement of his arms. I had never prayed harder or through more tears. They got him breathing. Pediatric neurologist gave us the news he may have a brachial plexus (the nerves supplying the arms) injury. I followed up my fervent prayer with more but this time praying for his arms. He slowly started using his arms later that day a few hours after delivery. He spent one night in NICU and has been healthy ever since.

He was riding with me on my farm tractor. He was about 3 at the time. He stood on the footrest just like i did as a kid with my father. We were moving along with the speed set. He shifted his weight just as i hit a hole. I caught him as he was falling to the ground. He would have landed in front of the rear wheel had i not. That was the last day he rode with me

I was never allowed to stand on the platform as a kid. I rode on the fender of my grandfather’s 165 MF, not that this was any safer.

Accidents happen, we just have to do our best to minimize them.

Nice pic from Tuesday.

Attachments

• DF07C146-A1D9-4E2A-9BE9-B70FCEE29232.jpeg
    DF07C146-A1D9-4E2A-9BE9-B70FCEE29232.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: joevol33
My scariest moment happened when my kid was at school in kindergarten. They had been having a end of year "fun day" with inflatables. Apparently while my 6 year old son was on top of the largest inflatable about 15ft in the air a couple other kids managed to disconnect the anchors and flip it over "for fun". My son fell the 15ft and hit the ground with the inflatable landing on top of him. There were no teachers immediately supervising that inflatable and some other kids had to run and get my son's teacher who was watching a different inflateable for help. When they got him out from under it he had a knot on his head and was hurting. She picked him up and ran him to the office, the principle gave my son an ice pack and forbid his teacher to call 911 or us. She told the teacher that "there is only a couple hours more of school. He can use the ice pack until it was time for him to leave for his after care. Then they could do what they wanted with him." After worrying about it and watching my son's symtoms for about 5 minutes his teacher went behind the principles back and texted my wife. She told her "We might not want to let him go to after care, and if she has questions to call". That was so odd that my wife called her immediatly, the teacher told her what had happened and that she'd been forbidden to call about the "incident" that's why she texted instead (thank God). My wife works almost 1 hour away, but I was at work only 5 minutes away so she called me and let me know what happened. I took off from my work worried as hell. I'm a 911 dispatcher and a former firefighter for 12 years. From experiance I know we treat any fall from higher than head height (6ft) as potentially life threatening. I rushed to the school and told them I was there to get him, the secritary didn't even ask why she just said "I'm glad someone let you know". My mind hit emergency mode as I saw my son coming down the hall way. He had an obvious knot on his head near the temple, some blood, he was staggering and couldn't walk straight, the teacher said he'd thrown up several times, and he told me he couldn't stay awake. I was so scared I didn't even think to be pissed at the principle for delaying care. I just snatched him up, buckled him into the truck and took him straight to the ER. After hearing what had happened the ER staff rushed him straight back to a room and started checking on him. My wife joined us about 45 minutes later and after about a 4 hour stay he was discharged. He'd had a minor concussion, but luckily nothing more. No broken bones , no permanent damage. From the moment I first saw him, till the DR told us he'd be ok I was the most terrified I'd ever been. I thank God that he was ok, and that there was no lasting effects other than a minor fear of heights.

My scariest moment happened when my kid was at school in kindergarten. They had been having a end of year "fun day" with inflatables. Apparently while my 6 year old son was on top of the largest inflatable about 15ft in the air a couple other kids managed to disconnect the anchors and flip it over "for fun". My son fell the 15ft and hit the ground with the inflatable landing on top of him. There were no teachers immediately supervising that inflatable and some other kids had to run and get my son's teacher who was watching a different inflateable for help. When they got him out from under it he had a knot on his head and was hurting. She picked him up and ran him to the office, the principle gave my son an ice pack and forbid his teacher to call 911 or us. She told the teacher that "there is only a couple hours more of school. He can use the ice pack until it was time for him to leave for his after care. Then they could do what they wanted with him." After worrying about it and watching my son's symtoms for about 5 minutes his teacher went behind the principles back and texted my wife. She told her "We might not want to let him go to after care, and if she has questions to call". That was so odd that my wife called her immediatly, the teacher told her what had happened and that she'd been forbidden to call about the "incident" that's why she texted instead (thank God). My wife works almost 1 hour away, but I was at work only 5 minutes away so she called me and let me know what happened. I took off from my work worried as hell. I'm a 911 dispatcher and a former firefighter for 12 years. From experiance I know we treat any fall from higher than head height (6ft) as potentially life threatening. I rushed to the school and told them I was there to get him, the secritary didn't even ask why she just said "I'm glad someone let you know". My mind hit emergency mode as I saw my son coming down the hall way. He had an obvious knot on his head near the temple, some blood, he was staggering and couldn't walk straight, the teacher said he'd thrown up several times, and he told me he couldn't stay awake. I was so scared I didn't even think to be pissed at the principle for delaying care. I just snatched him up, buckled him into the truck and took him straight to the ER. After hearing what had happened the ER staff rushed him straight back to a room and started checking on him. My wife joined us about 45 minutes later and after about a 4 hour stay he was discharged. He'd had a minor concussion, but luckily nothing more. No broken bones , no permanent damage. From the moment I first saw him, till the DR told us he'd be ok I was the most terrified I'd ever been. I thank God that he was ok, and that there was no lasting effects other than a minor fear of heights.

Please tell me you had a very non-polite convo with that principle ?

I'd have had the cops called on me and pulled my child from that school.

Please tell me you had a very non-polite convo with that principle ?

I'd have had the cops called on me and pulled my child from that school.

Nope, I had a very very heated discussion with the asst principle, but the principle avoided me for weeks. I never did get to crawl her ass. My wife had to calm me down several times, reminding me we couldn't afford for me to lose my job, which is exactly what would have happened if I'd had the full conversation I wanted and the police were called.

Pulling him from the school was impossible. Our school system doesn't allow a child to go to a school other than what it's zoned for, No exceptions. Neither home school or private were ever a realistic option unfortunately. The joys of living in redneckville.

Last edited:
Nope, I had a very very heated discussion with the asst principle, but the principle avoided me for weeks. I never did get to crawl her ass. My wife had to calm me down several times, reminding me we couldn't afford for me to lose my job, which is exactly what would have happened if I'd had the full conversation I wanted and the police were called.
You had every right to have a not too polite talk with that principal. Was it her first job as a head principal? Also, you could have gone straight to the board with that

Reactions: goldenvol
I don't think it was her first principle job, even if it was though, she'd been there forever. That's why I eventually had to settle for what I did and that's it. Back then the "good ole boy network" still ran everything here and she was right in the middle of it. With the climate in schools the last couple decades off threats, active shooters, and other high danger things I was warned by a few people that if I pushed too much they'd scream harassment and what not. It could cost me my job I'd been doing for 15 years at the time. Plus they still didn't KNOW how I knew what had happened. We were hugely thankful that his teacher went against orders and contacted us. We didn't want to put her job in danger by throwing her under the bus, and letting them know just how much we knew.

In the end we were just thankful our son was ok.

VN Store

Back