Hoops recruiting class ranked top-5 by both major services

fyp it's not just BB it set a precedent for all programs at UT. Fulmer and Pat are the only coaches I can remember getting PAID at UT and neither of them came in highly paid, they earned it over time.

I can't remember any coach hired in at UT that got that bag on the way in. We always hire under the radar folks. Look at our last 2 women's BB hires..they got peanuts. Kiffin and Barnes are the only big name (nationally) hires the school has hired in a major sport since at least the 80's/90's
And both were fired from their previous jobs. We didn't roll in with a sack of money and steal them away from anyone.

Reactions: sport3500
What's the highest rated recruiting class we've ever had? And potentially a different question, which recruiting class has had the most immediate impact? I feel like both our 2020 guys could have immediate impact (and if we pull Springer/Hall, same goes for them).

What's the highest rated recruiting class we've ever had? And potentially a different question, which recruiting class has had the most immediate impact? I feel like both our 2020 guys could have immediate impact (and if we pull Springer/Hall, same goes for them).

Just a total guess, but I would imagine the 2006 class that included Ramar Smith, Duke Crews, Wayne Chism, Marques Johnson, and Josh Tabb. Seems like that was a near top-5 class.

2 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️ #20 overall & #26 overall
1 ⭐⭐⭐⭐️ #34 overall
1 ⭐⭐⭐️ #130 overall
1 ⭐⭐

Obviously, that class didn’t materialize into much on the court, but if you are simply talking about rankings, that would be my guess.

To best that class, we would need to land one of Jaden Springer or Cam Hayes, and then a PJ Hall or Dylan Caldwell.

Reactions: sport3500
Don't tell that to the FF. They still think we are in the 1990's

I'll preface this by saying I still love the Vols and pardon the hijacking but I feel I can say this in this forum without getting beaten.

But our fanbase, particularly the football portion has to be collectively some of the least self-aware fans I've ever seen. I get we have some "nega Vols" and sometimes you need some blind faith but my goodness some don't realize we haven't been nationally relevant in almost 20 years. And by that I mean actually competing for a national title and the last time that was the case was 2001. We have some blips on the radar during that time like starting out #3 in 2005 and getting in the Top 10 in 2016 but otherwise nothing of substance. I don't count simply winning the SEC East as "nationally relevant" because the last 2 times we have, we were the underdogs and had no shot at the NC. But even if you do count that, we haven't even been to the SECCG in 12 years and haven't won in 21. We've won 3 SEC Championships and been to 3 SECT Finals in basketball in that time.

Again, love the Vols and I'm not saying we can't be great again, but it's time to face reality. We are not that relevant right now. And we probably won't be for the near future. So stop asking why we keep getting "disrespected".

Rant over.

I'll preface this by saying I still love the Vols and pardon the hijacking but I feel I can say this in this forum without getting beaten.

But our fanbase, particularly the football portion has to be collectively some of the least self-aware fans I've ever seen. I get we have some "nega Vols" and sometimes you need some blind faith but my goodness some don't realize we haven't been nationally relevant in almost 20 years. And by that I mean actually competing for a national title and the last time that was the case was 2001. We have some blips on the radar during that time like starting out #3 in 2005 and getting in the Top 10 in 2016 but otherwise nothing of substance. I don't count simply winning the SEC East as "nationally relevant" because the last 2 times we have, we were the underdogs and had no shot at the NC. But even if you do count that, we haven't even been to the SECCG in 12 years and haven't won in 21. We've won 3 SEC Championships and been to 3 SECT Finals in basketball in that time.

Again, love the Vols and I'm not saying we can't be great again, but it's time to face reality. We are not that relevant right now. And we probably won't be for the near future. So stop asking why we keep getting "disrespected".

Rant over.

As a fan base our "emotional intelligence" is extremely low. I think a lot of it comes from guilt of not appreciating yester-year when we had it. And the ones that do remember it, now have social media haha.

As a fan base our "emotional intelligence" is extremely low. I think a lot of it comes from guilt of not appreciating yester-year when we had it. And the ones that do remember it, now have social media haha.
I can honestly say that I wish I had appreciated those 11-1 and 10-2 “failures” when I was a teenager and young adult. I know a lot of people my age hold that belief.

Reactions: k-town_king

Yes, I remember when going 9-3 was a "terrible" year.

I guess part of me is because I'm not one to give my "side" a pass on anything. And I remember back when we were good when Vol fans would make fun of other programs that had been good in the past and were seemingly hanging onto said past and assuming they still deserved the same respect. And now here we are in that exact position. We're using our past to argue we're still some elite program. Newsflash, nobody cares what you did 50 years ago and nowadays people barely care what you did 20 years ago.

I also compare it to the perception (by our own fans) that our men's bball program is such a dreadful thing, yet it has had more success in the past decade than football.

Reactions: Jack Burton
I can honestly say that I wish I had appreciated those 11-1 and 10-2 “failures” when I was a teenager and young adult. I know a lot of people my age hold that belief.

I miss really caring about gameday and being hyped for games. Part of it is just growing up and a game just isn't that important to me now as it was then. But it's more than that, and more than just that we haven't been winning. It was just different back then.

I miss really caring about gameday and being hyped for games. Part of it is just growing up and a game just isn't that important to me now as it was then. But it's more than that, and more than just that we haven't been winning. It was just different back then.

1-25 against your two biggest rivals since 2007 doesn’t help.

And both were fired from their previous jobs. We didn't roll in with a sack of money and steal them away from anyone.
Way to completely miss the point. Paying Barnes was a statement that UTAD has maybe finally decided to start handing out that bag. Up until now UT was supergenerous on buyouts but not so good ponying up for the big names. We've been Buyout U the past decade. Paying coaches we fired as much if not more than the ones on staff.

Reactions: onevol74
Way to completely miss the point. Paying Barnes was a statement that UTAD has maybe finally decided to start handing out that bag. Up until now UT was supergenerous on buyouts but not so good ponying up for the big names. We've been Buyout U the past decade. Paying coaches we fired as much if not more than the ones on staff.
One of us missed the point alright. It sure wasn't me though. 🙄

I was agreeing with you, and reemphasizing your point that we rarely ever pony up for big name coaches. Using your two examples, Kiffin and Barnes, I further added that even though those two guys were the only big name coaches we have hired in 40 years, we didn't pay up big money on the front end to hire them away from their previous job. They had both been fired and were available and didn't require us to heavily invest in increasing their former salaries and pay their buyouts.

One of us missed the point alright. It sure wasn't me though. 🙄

I was agreeing with you, and reemphasizing your point that we rarely ever pony up for big name coaches. Using your two examples, Kiffin and Barnes, I further added that even though those two guys were the only big name coaches we have hired in 40 years, we didn't pay up big money on the front end to hire them away from their previous job. They had both been fired and were available and didn't require us to heavily invest in increasing their former salaries and pay their buyouts.
I apologize. I should not have been defensive in reading your post. It gets weird around here. My thinking was that most high profile coaches coming into a new program were fired at their last stop else why would they leave? It could be further said that, in hindsight, Barnes firing was more a reflection of the ineptitude of their AD and spoiled fanbase than him failing. The guy averaged 23 wins over 17 seasons.. not many people outside of North Carolina and Kentucky can say that. Kiffin has proven he is at worst a really good football coach. Him not succeeding at USC and Oakland was more because of insane expectations being set.

That's the funny thing most of these so called high profile coaches people go after in other programs came in as up and comers and made it big its kinda rare for a Saban to ever hit the market after they hit their peak and even those guys bounce around a bit before getting traction. I think this is because it takes more than being a great coach to make a great program. I honestly believe that UTAD was such a dumpster fire from the day Fulmer was fired till the day he was rehired no coach we hired would have had much success. I don't think Dooley or Jones are great coaches but I think under a different AD they would have had much better results and we'd still be stuck with one of them. Kiffin was the big miss and that was because he got offered his dream job that being said i bet Fulmer as AD woulda threw enough money at him to make him at least think twice back then.

TLDR version i'm glad Fulmer is back where he belongs

Reactions: Witch_Doctor

VN Store

Back