Georgia dismisses another projected starter

I watched a little of the 2018 SEC championship game last night, it was being replayed on SEC Network. Cox was playing in that game in critical moments as a true freshman. Georgia’s released post-spring depth chart had him listed as a starter, not my depth chart, Georgia’s.

I realize Cox obviously fell out of grace via a bad attitude or something, but coming out of spring and based on how he was used as a true Freshman, this guy was being counted on. To suggest otherwise, is spin.
To suggest that Georgia isn't loaded with young talent in the front seven is just wrong.

Disagree, especially in this age of the transfer portal.

True, and nobody has taken advantage of the portal better than Mullen so far. Van Jefferson, Tre Grimes, Adam Shuler, Jean Delance, Greenard, all probable starters this year. Plus Dunlap on DL for depth, and Florida looks to be the leader for LSU DB transfer Kelvin Joseph.

They've always recruited well, but never this well until Kirby got there. Goff, Donnan, and Richt did not recruit like this. They all recruited well, especially Richt, but not like this.

Didn't Richt have the #1 or #2 recruiting class when he was fired?

I know that was one of the biggest arguments against firing him.

Reactions: Jaws
It was a legendary hit when the UF-UT game was a huge national presence. One of the loudest moments (of many) in Spurrier’s Swamp. It wouldn’t be a huge deal if Florida had not gone on to win the game in dominating fashion. It’s more symbolic than anything. That hit sorta defines the dominance of the series in one play.
Maybe, until a 195 pound running back named Travis Stephens trucked Gus Scott at midfield in 2001.

I also don't understand why Florida fans make such a big deal out of the Wright hit on Kent. It was a nice hit but the turnover itself was of no consequence to the outcome of the game... Tennessee scored a TD on the very next play anyway to take the lead 30-14. Jay Graham's 2 fumbles were much more central to the outcome of the game (and Tennessee being completely lost in the secondary, with no pass rush).

Janzen Jackson’s hit on Brandon James was as meaningless.

But JaxVol is gonna JaxVol. He’d be better off posting pictures of football coaches from other schools celebrating wins against UF.

To suggest that Georgia isn't loaded with young talent in the front seven is just wrong.

I keep hearing about all of Georgia’s “young talent.” Young talent at WR, young talent in their front 7, young talent behind Fromm. The top 6 or 7 teams in the SEC all have “young talent.” Fromm, Swift and a damn good o-line will carry them through most games, but this “oh no worries, we’ve got young talent” thing will catch up to them at some point.

Maybe, until a 195 pound running back named Travis Stephens trucked Gus Scott at midfield in 2001.

😂

Good Lord the highlights have been few and far between for you.

Congrats on that 2001 win, and great game by Stephens.

Exactly. They’re always top 10 and many times top 5, long before King Kirby showed up. And even in the 90’s, Spurrier famously quipped about Georgia always having the best recruits and then wondering what happened to them on Gameday. Georgia has been recruiting well for decades.

This time, with UGA, it just feels different.

I hope I’m wrong.

I think losing both coordinators is a huge deal. I also think having absolutely NOBODY behind Fromm is a big deal. I also think that having a bunch of WR’s lining up who have the same number of catches as you and me is a big deal. I think they’ll be formidable yearly, but I don’t think they’re on the doorstep of a Bama/Clemson type dynasty.

Reactions: Booker512

Don't remember what it was ranked when Richt was fired, but Georgia ended up with the 6th ranked class nationally in 2016 (the first signing class after he was fired). When you look at the classes that Kirby has been 100% responsible for, he hasn't finished outside the top 3 nationally since he got to Georgia. Richt was really good; Kirby is Saban-like on the recruiting trail, but has yet to best him on the field. And let's be real - Georgia should really never finish outside about the top 5-7 nationally when it comes to recruiting. Either Georgia or LSU is the easiest recruiting job in the country. The amount of talent those states produce both on an absolute and relative (per capita) basis is absolutely staggering, and there's no (real) in-state rival for either of them.

Richt:
2010: 11th
2011: 7th
2012: 9th
2013: 12th
2014: 8th
2015: 6th

Kirby:
2016: 6th
2017: 3rd
2018: 1st
2019: 2nd

Don't remember what it was ranked when Richt was fired, but Georgia ended up with the 6th ranked class nationally in 2016 (the first signing class after he was fired). When you look at the classes that Kirby has been 100% responsible for, he hasn't finished outside the top 3 nationally since he got to Georgia. Richt was really good; Kirby is Saban-like on the recruiting trail, but has yet to best him on the field. And let's be real - Georgia should really never finish outside about the top 5-7 nationally when it comes to recruiting. Either Georgia or LSU is the easiest recruiting job in the country. The amount of talent those states produce both on an absolute and relative (per capita) basis is absolutely staggering, and there's no (real) in-state rival for either of them.

Richt:
2010: 11th
2011: 7th
2012: 9th
2013: 12th
2014: 8th
2015: 6th

Kirby:
2016: 6th
2017: 3rd
2018: 1st
2019: 2nd

They averaged 8 under Richt, 3 under Kirby. As we’ve said, they’ve always recruited well.

And it should be noted, that #1 2018 class for Kirby has been decimated. They’ve lost 6 of the top 15 players from that class. If you could recalibrate that, it would be well outside the top 10.

I watched a little of the 2018 SEC championship game last night, it was being replayed on SEC Network. Cox was playing in that game in critical moments as a true freshman. Georgia’s released post-spring depth chart had him listed as a starter, not my depth chart, Georgia’s.

I realize Cox obviously fell out of grace via a bad attitude or something, but coming out of spring and based on how he was used as a true Freshman, this guy was being counted on. To suggest otherwise, is spin.
Brenton Cox, Justin Fields and the curious case of the No. 1 jersey

Is it the football part that is tough for you or the reading comprehension? He had even been passed up by Nolan Smith, a true freshman. OLB rotation would have been Johnson, Ojulari, Anderson and Beal with the first outside of that group being Nolan Smith. And I have to wonder about your ability to FOOTBALL if you are claiming to watch the SECCG and you can't see just how bad Cox continued to lose containment. Or I guess you didn't realize what was happening when D'Andre Walker blasted him for his half ass effort on the field. He was at trying to get back in the two-deep but in no way was a starter. This group is among the deepest on the team so all you're doing is trying to spin something to make a point that isn't relevant.

Exactly. They’re always top 10 and many times top 5, long before King Kirby showed up. And even in the 90’s, Spurrier famously quipped about Georgia always having the best recruits and then wondering what happened to them on Gameday. Georgia has been recruiting well for decades.
There is some truth to that. Georgia signed a lot of top 20 recruits from 1989-1992 (QB Eric Zeier, RB Garrison Hearst, WR Andre Hastings, LB Randall Godfrey, OT Bernard Williams) but never won s***. There was a big drop off after 1993, though, once it became apparent that Ray Goff couldn't coach. Fulmer poached an incredible amount of good players out of Georgia in the mid to late 90's (Jamal Lewis, Deon Grant, Cosey Coleman, Fred White).

They averaged 8 under Richt, 3 under Kirby. As we’ve said, they’ve always recruited well.

And it should be noted, that #1 2018 class for Kirby has been decimated. They’ve lost 6 of the top 15 players from that class. If you could recalibrate that, it would be well outside the top 10.
Fields transferred because he couldn't beat out Fromm
Cox transferred because his attitude sucked and he couldn't be out 4 other guys
Luke Ford transferred because he has a sick grandparent he wanted to be closer to

Joseph didn't qualify.

So that's 3 of the top 15 (based on 247 composite) and one outside of it so you're wrong again .. maybe try a different rival .. you're not good at this

Fields transferred because he couldn't beat out Fromm
Cox transferred because his attitude sucked and he couldn't be out 4 other guys
Luke Ford transferred because he has a sick grandparent he wanted to be closer to

Joseph didn't qualify.

So that's 3 of the top 15 (based on 247 composite) and one outside of it so you're wrong again .. maybe try a different rival .. you're not good at this
But he was so good at running fake punts?

But he was so good at running fake punts?
LOL .. stud in the punt game .. Was watching the ESPN replay of the LSU/UT SECCG back in like 2003 and when Saban went for it on 4th and whatever from his own 29 and later called it the worst decision he ever made as a coach, I thought about the fake punt.

I think Georgia's biggest weakness will end up being the head coach. He may just end up being Ron Zook/Mark Richt 2.0.

The dynastic program of the SEC should really be Georgia, not Alabama.

Say what? Historically, the state of Georgia has not always been the hotbed of recruiting we now know Georgia to be. The University also practiced extreme segregation like the rest of our southern states. You're going to have to go far earlier than the 80s to build your case for that kind of football dominance.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
Say what? Historically, the state of Georgia has not always been the hotbed of recruiting we now know Georgia to be. The University also practiced extreme segregation like the rest of our southern states. You're going to have to go far earlier than the 80s to build your case for that kind of football dominance.
While I would love to agree with Never_again's take, I guess I don't understand the SHOULD REALLY BE part. I think the team that should be a dynasty is the one that builds it as such

Reactions: TUSKtimes
Ron Zook never won the East (let alone the SEC), and Mark Richt never played for a national title.

This is different.
I keep seeing the comparison to Richt in recruiting also. There is a HUGE difference in that Kirby, even if it's because he came from the Saban mindset .. whatever, I'll take it, focuses early and often on both OL and DL with huge recruits. Richt was excellent at pulling in skill players but often the Stafford's, Murray's, Moreno's and Gurley's of the team would have to make things happen behind an average OL. On the other side, while every so often a stud would come in on the DL it was the "every so often" part that kept that line from being great. That and Todd Grantham. He was pretty damn solid his first year at UGA and it went down hill from there. Same happened when he got to Louisville where they loved him but a lot of their fans were fed up by the time he moved on to Miss St

Was Alabama a hotbed of recruiting in Bryant's day? Relative to Alabama, Georgia has been the more populated and economically developed state for a long time. Demographic shifts have helped all the southern schools, not just Georgia, over the last 30-40 years.

Particularly since 1980, Georgia really should be unquestionably the most successful football program and should also have extremely successful basketball and baseball programs. Their basketball program has stunk for a long time (just 12 tourney appearances since 1980), their baseball program has had fleeting periods of success but nowhere near as much as you'd believe (they should be vying for a national title every year), and their football program, while very good, has repeatedly fallen short of the ultimate prize.

VN Store

Back