'20 SC WR Jalin Hyatt (UT SIGNEE)

Its Not the stars, its the other offers I go by.

What makes you opinion factual info compared to mine or anyone else?

I could go back and look just about any recruit That Butch recruited and the same posters were building up every recruit of his. No matter the stars or offer lists. A lot of those recruits did very little at UT. Who is factual there? Some of those same posters were quick to like charger's last post
My opinion is not factual. I don't claim it is. I am overly optimistic. I own it. I get disappointed but I wait until there is reason to be. I don't crap all over a recruit in their thread because they don't have the offers or the stars. I do agree that if that is the only kind of player we are getting, then we are in big trouble, but that is not the case. We all agree we need elite talent. It's the evaluations we disagree on. I trust our coaches until there is evidence that I should not. Admittedly, I miss some early evidence because I am optimistic. But, to this point, I am not worried about recruiting and I still trust the coaches.

Before or after A&M emptied the bank to steal him?
before he realized that Tuscaloosa was just not a fit place for a human being to live. Of course I think he always had misgivings about the Alabama Job, since he never even signed a contract.

Its Not the stars, its the other offers I go by.

What makes you opinion factual info compared to mine or anyone else?

I could go back and look just about any recruit That Butch recruited and the same posters were building up every recruit of his. No matter the stars or offer lists. A lot of those recruits did very little at UT. Who is factual there? Some of those same posters were quick to like charger's last post
I think you just remember the ones that stick out more. There were some busts, no doubt. I tend to remember the ones that pan out.

Reactions: Sleegro
before he realized that Tuscaloosa was just not a fit place for a human being to live. Of course I think he always had misgivings about the Alabama Job, since he never even signed a contract.
He was a hot property until a year or two into the Aggie gig.

It has been a pretty good coaches graveyard. Let's hope that trend continues with Jimbo.
I’m predicting an Urban Meyer arc. Great at recruiting and program development. When it’s a final product, ambivalence towards holding individuals accountable.

Pruitt had a top 11 class. I agree you can still recruit big here. We have a decorated recruiting staff as it is. My only point is that it seems clear kids take a much stronger wait and see approach to Tennessee these days. We simply have to prove it on the field before we recruit at a truly elite level, like what UGA and Bama are doing.

Some fans still think the “right coach” will do that out of the gate. I don’t think our job is attractive enough at the moment to land that kind of coach. Again, gotta win and build depth. Takes time.
That top 11 class from Pruitt is better than the top 5 class from Butch.

My opinion is not factual. I don't claim it is. I am overly optimistic. I own it. I get disappointed but I wait until there is reason to be. I don't crap all over a recruit in their thread because they don't have the offers or the stars. I do agree that if that is the only kind of player we are getting, then we are in big trouble, but that is not the case. We all agree we need elite talent. It's the evaluations we disagree on. I trust our coaches until there is evidence that I should not. Admittedly, I miss some early evidence because I am optimistic. But, to this point, I am not worried about recruiting and I still trust the coaches.

I wish I was more like that, but the years of bad results have made me want to see good results before I go all in with a coach. Earn the trust.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
I wish I was more like that, but the years of bad results have made me want to see good results before I go all in with a coach. Earn the trust.
I don’t see anything wrong with that. Just unhealthy spending a significant amount of time on a message board being negative though.

Reactions: Easttnken
How healthy can it be for these anonymous jack wagons to to spend so much time arguing with each other on a message board? Talk about the darn topics in the thread titles - quit worrying about what someone you don’t know has to say - “Dr. Chill”

How healthy can it be for these anonymous jack wagons to to spend so much time arguing with each other on a message board? Talk about the darn topics in the thread titles - quit worrying about what someone you don’t know has to say - “Dr. Chill”
If everybody did that...VN would be a damn morgue..It is fine just like it is Pope Chillaxus I

Posted this in another thread and I'll ask you.
Jones top 5 class - 30 commits, 1 5 star, 89.48 average.

Pruitt's 2019 class - only 23 commits, 2 - 5 stars, 90.49 average.

Every stat other than quantity says Pruitt brought in the better talent. You disagree?
Yeah, I could make that argument. Either way. I could argue the 2015 class is as good, easily. First, take out the long snapper and punter and I’m automatically above Pruitts 90.49 avg, secondly, I could argue there was some major talent in that class. Top 5 in that class are legit talents (4 of 5 are currently on NFL rosters), not everyone reaches their ceiling (injuries, attitude, multiple of things) can derail them maxing their potential but I can pick that from every class, every school. Very solid players behind that group as well like Jennings, Boulware, Darrell Taylor, Martin, John Kelly, etc.

Now, I can argue the other side of this as well but we really don’t know how this 2019 will shake out. Will there be attrition? Yep. Will there be busts? Yep. Will there be guys like John Kelly and far outreach their ranking? Yep as well.

Did Butch use ‘fillers’ in his class? Of course, 85 signees in 3 years but he did sign some major talent in the top half of his classes as well.

Yeah, I could make that argument. Either way. I could argue the 2015 class is as good, easily. First, take out the long snapper and punter and I’m automatically above Pruitts 90.49 avg, secondly, I could argue there was some major talent in that class. Top 5 in that class are legit talents (4 of 5 are currently on NFL rosters), not everyone reaches their ceiling (injuries, attitude, multiple of things) can derail them maxing their potential but I can pick that from every class, every school. Very solid players behind that group as well like Jennings, Boulware, Darrell Taylor, Martin, John Kelly, etc.

Now, I can argue the other side of this as well but we really don’t know how this 2019 will shake out. Will there be attrition? Yep. Will there be busts? Yep. Will there be guys like John Kelly and far outreach their ranking? Yep as well.

Did Butch use ‘fillers’ in his class? Of course, 85 signees in 3 years but he did sign some major talent in the top half of his classes as well.
Don't get me wrong, there was definitely talent, would never suggest otherwise. I just think top 15 to top 15, the 19 class has a bit more.
That's straight out of HS. I'm not going to hold what Jones did to the 15 class, development wise, against them. But I believe he was trying to redesign SEC football to a lighter, shifty version.
After the top 7 or so, that's when Pruitt's guys would get a strong foothold imo.

Don't get me wrong, there was definitely talent, would never suggest otherwise. I just think top 15 to top 15, the 19 class has a bit more.
That's straight out of HS. I'm not going to hold what Jones did to the 15 class, development wise, against them. But I believe he was trying to redesign SEC football to a lighter, shifty version.
After the top 7 or so, that's when Pruitt's guys would get a strong foothold imo.
Really can’t compare until a couple years from now. We think the 19 class will be better but it’s conjecture right now. From the 2019 class, I can tell you some will disappoint, surprise, leave, and get injured. It will be interesting to follow, always is.

My honest take on Butch is he can do well, at a smaller school. Lights of the SEC and Knoxville were too bright for him. He didn’t know we are crazy down here, and crazy 365 24/7. I think the job was just too big and he was in over his head and he knew it. I think he did/said some things bc he was insecure looking around at the other HCs in the league.

Reactions: PA Vol and jakez4ut
Really can’t compare until a couple years from now. We think the 19 class will be better but it’s conjecture right now. From the 2019 class, I can tell you some will disappoint, surprise, leave, and get injured. It will be interesting to follow, always is.

My honest take on Butch is he can do well, at a smaller school. Lights of the SEC and Knoxville were too bright for him. He didn’t know we are crazy down here, and crazy 365 24/7. I think the job was just too big and he was in over his head and he knew it. I think he did/said some things bc he was insecure looking around at the other HCs in the league.
I used to think that until I saw the true development and S&C mess that he left. There's no level of program where that's ok. I'm not one to claim coaching prowess but even I know better than letting those go.
But, nothing TN can do now but recover and improve.

i think the bigger issue is that neither of Butch's top 7 classes ever amounted to anything, and certainly didn't live up to the billing when all was said and done. nor did they provide the foundation you would think 60 signnees in a two year span would for the future.

"paper 4* " or not, i'm not sure if there was a real profile, and if there was, i think it's clear now that it wasn't sustainable the way he ran the program.

i've ready yours and chargers posts after this, so both of you cover some of that later on. safe to say i think you both make good points. i do think the job in and of itself wsa too big for him. and charger is correct as well when discussing the "profile" of the types of players he brought in, and his management of the s&c and summer programs.

all of which just goes under the "wasn't ready" umbrella. butch was a good salesman. he was not a great operator. you need both.

and fundamentally, there are stark differences in both the type of players Pruitt is bringing in, and how the program is operated from a development standpoint.

will that net different/better results? i sure hope so.

i think the bigger issue is that neither of Butch's top 7 classes ever amounted to anything, and certainly didn't live up to the billing when all was said and done. nor did they provide the foundation you would think 60 signnees in a two year span would for the future.

"paper 4* " or not, i'm not sure if there was a real profile, and if there was, i think it's clear now that it wasn't sustainable the way he ran the program.

i've ready yours and chargers posts after this, so both of you cover some of that later on. safe to say i think you both make good points. i do think the job in and of itself wsa too big for him. and charger is correct as well when discussing the "profile" of the types of players he brought in, and his management of the s&c and summer programs.

all of which just goes under the "wasn't ready" umbrella. butch was a good salesman. he was not a great operator. you need both.

and fundamentally, there are stark differences in both the type of players Pruitt is bringing in, and how the program is operated from a development standpoint.

will that net different/better results? i sure hope so.
You are 100 correct on S&C coaches, perhaps the programs/HC most important hire. The trajectory was headed in the right direction, back to back 9-4 seasons but it was one particular game that changed that momentum. Everything was there, win this game, you play in a Super Six bowl, a NYD bowl, finish 2nd in the East and everything still climbing uphill. (First Sugar Bowl since ?) You are favored, you are more talented, it’s all right there for the taking.

Then you let Vanderbilt take it in 60 minutes. Overly simplistic? Perhaps, but unfortunately for Butch and the Vols, also very true.

You are 100 correct on S&C coaches, perhaps the programs/HC most important hire. The trajectory was headed in the right direction, back to back 9-4 seasons but it was one particular game that changed that momentum. Everything was there, win this game, you play in a Super Six bowl, a NYD bowl, finish 2nd in the East and everything still climbing uphill. (First Sugar Bowl since ?) You are favored, you are more talented, it’s all right there for the taking.

Then you let Vanderbilt take it in 60 minutes. Overly simplistic? Perhaps, but unfortunately for Butch and the Vols, also very true.
It is simplistic... Cause he blew it against USCe. Winning the East was the goal.

He lost his job, as far as I'm concerned, against vandy.... Which is to say I agree... Lol.

It's over now. Butch was attempting to run the RPO offense and linemen were being taught to do zone blocking. he was an understudy of brian kelly but trying to tweak the offense to his liking. Having Dobbs was a major advantage. It still won't go over well in the SEC in the long run and now we're getting back to the more smash mouth style of play that we had under Fulmer which is simply contolling the LOS. I think we're on our way and we'll be more physical this year. Building experienced depth along both lines is still a couple of years out but the azz-whoopings 'bout to come to a halt and we will be back on the giving end of the whoopins soon enough.

And Pruitt did this without the help of the media that Smartt got. He also did not have the players that Smartt had. It will take longer than it did at GA unless he is an extraordinary coach. The better the recruits the faster it happens. But we don't have to have top 5 or top 10 classes for it to eventually happen.
Pruitt and many of our coaches could care less about recruiting ratings. I feel he's one of the best in the nation for seeing talent regardless. A good case in point is UF's last class which was ranked 12th. Done lost 5 players and 4 more on the ropes due to academics in that class alone. A lot more goes into recruiting and a whole lot of high school 3* are dressing out on Sundays. Players will start sensing this and feed off of the positive flow and UT will be back. Most of the media is already expecting it. The OL should begin to gel as a unit by mid-Oct. and JG needs to step up this year.

It's over now. Butch was attempting to run the RPO offense and linemen were being taught to do zone blocking. he was an understudy of brian kelly but trying to tweak the offense to his liking. Having Dobbs was a major advantage. It still won't go over well in the SEC in the long run and now we're getting back to the more smash mouth style of play that we had under Fulmer which is simply contolling the LOS. I think we're on our way and we'll be more physical this year. Building experienced depth along both lines is still a couple of years out but the azz-whoopings 'bout to come to a halt and we will be back on the giving end of the whoopins soon enough.

Ummm...the “RPO” is run by literally every team in the SEC. It’s not a throw or scramble read for the QB, as you seem to think it is. It’s a read on usually the backer to determine whether to hand it off or throw the quick game to the wideout or tight end.

Reactions: Sleegro and Devo182

VN Store

Back