Jarret Guarantano better than most vol fans think

Tennessee football: More stats favoring Jarrett Guarantano slam Vols OL

As I’ve said all along he is much better than some of you guys say or think. If the scouts are correct then Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert will be in the NFL draft. According to the sports source this morning in four categories Guarantano was better in three of them and tied the other.

Give this guy time and he will a top qb in the SEC.
I hope he does I really do but I am gonna take a wait and see approach with him this season...Sadly he is the best we got right now so we are pretty much stuck with him...I hope he proves a lot of us wrong.

I hope he becomes a great QB but he hasn't been one. With a "great" QB, UT becomes a passing O last year. He would have been allowed to read and throw hot routes to burn pressure. They would have made a living in the short and medium middle. Basically, he would have been UT's version of Drew Lock.

He's a very physically talented QB. If he can put the mental and decision making part together with Chaney, Tee, and Weinke then the potential is there. But to blame what happened last year all on the OL is to deny what your eyes tell you actually watching the game. You can't hold the ball as long as he does. You can't be that slow making decisions. You can't fail to read the D pre-snap to know where pressure and coverage will be.

Like your new screen name k-town.
I laughed!

Numbers don't lie, but you sure love to. I, unlike you, don't have to make up alts to back up my point.

All the data and all the articles and analysis coming out back me up. Also most of our posters aren't blind or biased and see the same things.

He had similar numbers as Lock. Just less attempts. So . . .

We all know you have no interest in a good faith debate, just pushing an agenda for some reason. So I'm not going to smash each of your made up talking points individually. They have been debunked enough.
..and 83 less touchdowns....but those dont matter so the Lock comparision is spot on!..

Reactions: jacvols and cbatey1
Spot on, When JG had time to throw or someone got open quickly he was a very good passer and accurate. Pruitt has praised him for that. When you want to be anti-something its easy to look at one thing, isolate it, and bash it. If we can just have a decent O line this year the JG bashers will be hard pressed to find something to criticize but I'm sure they will. His demeanor on the sideline was bad, ha.
Good practice QB. That's about it. Anyone can throw well with zero pressure and amazing protection.

You are delusional for even making comparisons to Peyton and JG. No, Peyton wouldn't have struggled like JG did last year. Would Peyton have had some problems? Absolutley. But, come on, Peyton was light years above where JG was in many facets of being a QB last year!!! Come on!!! Are you serious???

I never said they were equal. I said Peyton would have problems too. Put your pitchfork down.

He’s a great QB, but even Peyton Manning would struggle with last year’s OL. Same with 2017, except that it was painfully obvious that JG should’ve never been classified as a dual threat QB.
Definitely mislabeled. When I heard dual threat I thought another Josh Dobbs, but we got Jonathan Compton.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Great, Another I told you so guy on this board. We need more...NOT!!! LOL He hasn't proven a damn thing yet. I hope I am wrong about him. I know Chaney will improve him a lot. But, I am still skeptical. I hope he does prove me wrong and leads UT to at least 8 wins this year!!! The OL will give him much more time this year. But, part of the issues have always been JG as well.

Maybe you need to go back and look at what he did last season statistically. He was much better than not proving anything.

This fan base delusional..I see 5-6 to six wins at best..He is not elite enough to beat UF, UGA, Ala..This the SEC this fan base is accepting this mediocre QB..What skill set does JG has at the QB position? The Oline always will be the blame..No one blames JG for holding on the ball trying to stare at that one wide wr..

? So you are comparing NFL to colleges? You are definitely reaching. I didn't think I would have to clarity that we are talking college qbs.

Even if we weren't, I'm pretty sure Wilson is throwing to NFL wideouts and tightends.
Rename yourself salt king

Josh Dobbs had a comparably bad offensive line, but put up 45 points a game.

Last edited:
This fan base delusional..I see 5-6 to six wins at best..He is not elite enough to beat UF, UGA, Ala..This the SEC this fan base is accepting this mediocre QB..What skill set does JG has at the QB position? The Oline always will be the blame..No one blames JG for holding on the ball trying to stare at that one wide wr..

Lol. Wut?

Kid's been under the gun and gotten his arse kicked in every game, and kept getting up. For this alone I hope he kills it and goes nuts, he's earned it.

Reactions: sjt18
Gardner Minshew, Washington State, avg recruiting ranking 2016-2018 48th nationally.
All system. You wanna talk about a dink and dunk offense. JG had a much higher ypa than Minshew. Rating was 6 points lower than Minshew.

Also compared to the rest of the Pac12 they had better comparable talent around Minshew. They had a much better line and faster wide receivers. Another humongous reach.

Please remember this post after JG ***** the bed again this season.

seriously though, the problem is the entire offense.
I'm not pessimistic about him. I think he has talent and desire. The OL will improve IMO. He has the best set of coaches a QB could hope for to overcome mental and decision making issues.

I've argued that it was roughly equal parts (maybe tilted to JG) between him and the OL then a few issues with the receivers and even less with the RB's.

Rename yourself salt king

Josh Dobbs had a comparibly bad offensive line, but put up 45 points a game.
So the one supporting our player is salty? Ok

Dobbs had a slightly better line, while being a much better runner. He also had better backs and wideouts. He also had much better playcalling. So . . .

All system. You wanna talk about a dink and dunk offense. JG had a much higher ypa than Minshew. Rating was 6 points lower than Minshew.

Also compared to the rest of the Pac12 they had better comparable talent around Minshew. They had a much better line and faster wide receivers. Another humongous reach.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

They didn't have a much better OL. He just knows how to look at a D an get the ball off.

You really are a joke. You try to parse stats hoping no one will step back and look at the big picture. While JG was being protected and not having the weight of the O on him... Minshew was throwing for almost 3,000 more yards. He completed over 70% of his passes... 468 of them compared to 153 for JG. Minshew WAS their offense. He plays on a MUCH less talented team in terms of raw talent... and the talent around him compares poorly to the talent in other PAC12 programs.

You almost stepped on a reasonable thought... when you commented on the "dink and dunk". Wazzu ran it... because they had a QB who could do it. A guy who could read D's and make good snap decisions about where to go with the ball.

You can take the 7.7 ypa vs 7.2 ypa... I'll take the 37.5 ppg vs 22.8 ppg.... and yeah, Minshew was the reason they scored those points. They've had lesser QB's who didn't perform at that level.

This post isn't about JG. I hope he improves. He has talent and a great coaching staff around him now. This is about you and your cult like worship of a single player.

Name literally one. Lmao

Keep moving the goalposts, and they won't even be in the stadium.

2018 Wash State Oline:
Andre Dillard, 3*
Liam Ryan, 2*
Frederick Maguigoa, 3*
Robert Valencia, 3*
Abraham Lucas, 3*

2018 Wash State Receivers(1st string):
Davontavean Martin, 3*
Kyle Sweet, 3*
Renard Bell, 3*
Easop Winston, 3*

Minshew threw for 38 TDs, only had 9 interceptions, with 4 rushing TDs to boot, finished the season with a 70.7 completion percentage, which you conveniently left out since it is 8 points higher than JG's and doesn't fit your narrative, and a YPA of 7.2 which is .6 yards less than JG. Contrary to your statement that "JG had a much higher ypa than Minshew", a difference of ~21 inches in terms of YPA is not 'much higher'.

You are literally a human 8-ball of excuses for JG.

Last edited:
Trying to compare a Mike Leach system qb numbers with the conservative offense coached by a first time play caller shows how far y'all are reaching.

VN Store

Back