Sophie Cunningham back at it again..

Sophie is one of the toughest and scrappiest players I've ever seen, but obviously her base instinct is to go into attack mode when she feels like she's being challenged. It makes me cringe to think about what her childhood may have been like.
She's low woman on the totem pole. She's got Taurasi and Griner to throw punches if needed.

Reactions: T_Vol376
Cunningham could whip any two Lady Vols with one arm tied behind her back. Wish she had been a LV. Might have changed the attitude of the entire team.

Reactions: OldNSlow
Cunningham could whip any two Lady Vols with one arm tied behind her back. Wish she had been a LV. Might have changed the attitude of the entire team.
Absolutely! Need more players that will get out there and fight for every possession and give a damn!

Reactions: mcannon1
I thought this incident was very mild compared to what I've seen her do before. I know I am in the minority here but don't see the big deal on this one. Looked like a little embellishment to me.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
People see what they want to see. Watch it frame by frame. It's not as bad as it appears. I have seen her do much worse. I knew I would get jumped on for that opinion, so I'm not surprised.

I did not jump on you. Itā€™s my opinion Cunninghamā€™s actions were intentional. When she swung her elbow up and raised her knee up, she meant to hurt McCarty. If sheā€™s gonna do that mess, then whoever sheā€™s doing it to gets to make the most of it.

Her family encourages it. Itā€™s also my opinion that is a trashy, gross way to play. Sad she feels she needs to do that.

This was an attempted elbow and a knee. The knee looked like she thought better of it and pulled back before making contact. It's still an ugly play. I've defended her before because I like a good tough player that is ok with operating in the grey, but this was dirty. IMO fine her $$ and a couple game suspension. There's no call for it.

This was an attempted elbow and a knee. The knee looked like she thought better of it and pulled back before making contact. It's still an ugly play. I've defended her before because I like a good tough player that is ok with operating in the grey, but this was dirty. IMO fine her $$ and a couple game suspension. There's no call for it.
Yes. Attempted. The elbow did not contact her face. It was a fore arm shove to the upper chest just below the head. The other player never clutched her face or anything. The knee had an upward parallel movement. It brushed the other player. The other player didn't clutch her side or grimace so not much contact there. If those two things had happened, she would have been ejected. They didn't so she wasn't. Was it a rough play? Yes, it was and deserved a flagrant foul which after review she received. I'm not defending her play, I'm simply saying this looked worse than it was. I have seen her do stuff that she should have been ejected for but I don't see it here. Much ado about a shove. That's all I will say about the matter.

Yes. Attempted. The elbow did not contact her face. It was a fore arm shove to the upper chest just below the head. The other player never clutched her face or anything. The knee had an upward parallel movement. It brushed the other player. The other player didn't clutch her side or grimace so not much contact there. If those two things had happened, she would have been ejected. They didn't so she wasn't. Was it a rough play? Yes, it was and deserved a flagrant foul which after review she received. I'm not defending her play, I'm simply saying this looked worse than it was. I have seen her do stuff that she should have been ejected for but I don't see it here. Much ado about a shove. That's all I will say about the matter.

The way I explain to my players the difference between aggression and anger, is aggression is when you want to impose your will on someone anger is when you want to hurt someone

Intent matters. If you try to peg your opponent in the head with the ball, does it matter if you miss? No, you should be ejected regardless.

Last edited:
Intent matters. If you try to peg your opponent in the head with the ball, does it matter if you miss? No, you should be elected regardless.

Hey, now!

Let's keep politics out of this thread! :(

Of course, you could be using it in the sense of the McQueen/Brynner exchange in the famous "hearse ride" sequence in TM7:

Vin: "You elected?"
Chris (examining his cigar's shot-off tip):
"Naw, but I got nominated real good."

Last edited:
Intent matters. If you try to peg your opponent in the head with the ball, does it matter if you miss? No, you should be elected regardless.
I shouldn't have agreed with the "attempted" part. I don't think either an elbow to the face or a knee to the ribs was "attempted". I am no fan of hers but I try to look at each incident objectively and not emotionally.

Sophia is a player you want on your team. Some/most of you have never played and it clearly shows by your mentality. Suck it up. Kids a player.

VN Store

Back