Interesting question on "The Starting Lineup" today

No teams in particular. 6-6 would be progress, 7-5 would be success, and 8-4 would be fantastic.
IMO...6-6 Man we made some bad mistakes, 7-5 No longer do they look over the Vols, 8-4 Laud, hold on to your Hats,
giphy.gif

7-5 and continue to show improvement. Beating Vandy is like a big guy arm wrestling a smaller guy. If you win, well you were supposed to. If you lose it’s a disaster. (No I don’t arm wrestle).

I know this doesn't define a season as being successful, BUT.....

Tennessee can not, under any set of realistic seasonal outcomes and circumstances this season, lose to Vanderbilt. It can not happen. I don't care what they do against Florida, losing to Vanderbilt would trump that (see 2016).

Don't give me hypotheticals where they go 11-1 and lose to Vandy.

Losing to Vanderbilt does far more damage to the future of the program and Pruitt than beating Florida and the perks that come with that.

JMO
Yep

For me, it doesn't boil down to 1 game as UT could beat UF in week 4 and start the season 4-0. Sounds great, right? But what if UT loses to USC, UK, Mizzou, and Vandy?

Look at 2016. UT was on fire after beating UF and UGA....the UT lost 3 in a row before losing to Vandy at the end of the season. Season went from the high of highs to meh.

Which team would it take the Vols beating this year for you, as a Tennessee fan, to say "this was a successful season"??

For me, it's Florida. I just have this belief that with all the drama, transfers and such.....that UF is going to be a dumpster fire at least early in the season. Yes, I know that we play them at the Swamp. Yes, I know that our recent record against them is atrocious. However, the Vols weren't supposed to go down to Jordan-Hare last year and win against a ranked Auburn team (thank you, Bryce Thompson and Jauan Jennings for being total and complete STUDS).

The radio guys wanted to give us no chance against Florida, and were saying that South Carolina is that game that says "we're successful". I disagree, and I have to agree with a quote I heard that "beating USC is a 'Champions of Life' type win, and not a benchmark for Tennessee's success". Couple people were even saying that BYU would, to them, be considered that win that says "we're successful".

There's a couple games this year, realistically speaking, that there's not much of a chance of winning (UA/UGA) and there's one that I'm going to that I REALLY want to win (@Mizzou) but IDK how it'll turn out. However, if the Vols win against UF in week four.......all freaking bets are off on this season. As much as I want "XV-Nulla", I'd be perfectly okay with 9-3 or 8-4, a bowl game, and a monster recruiting class with an absolute TON of momentum headed into next year.

So, VolNation, which team would it take the Vols beating this year for YOU to say "this was a successful season"???
I agree with you completely. Beating USCjr. wouldn't move the needle for me, but going on the road, in that environment, and putting one on UF ? That would be a statement.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Which team would it take the Vols beating this year for you, as a Tennessee fan, to say "this was a successful season"??

For me, it's Florida. I just have this belief that with all the drama, transfers and such.....that UF is going to be a dumpster fire at least early in the season. Yes, I know that we play them at the Swamp. Yes, I know that our recent record against them is atrocious. However, the Vols weren't supposed to go down to Jordan-Hare last year and win against a ranked Auburn team (thank you, Bryce Thompson and Jauan Jennings for being total and complete STUDS).

The radio guys wanted to give us no chance against Florida, and were saying that South Carolina is that game that says "we're successful". I disagree, and I have to agree with a quote I heard that "beating USC is a 'Champions of Life' type win, and not a benchmark for Tennessee's success". Couple people were even saying that BYU would, to them, be considered that win that says "we're successful".

There's a couple games this year, realistically speaking, that there's not much of a chance of winning (UA/UGA) and there's one that I'm going to that I REALLY want to win (@Mizzou) but IDK how it'll turn out. However, if the Vols win against UF in week four.......all freaking bets are off on this season. As much as I want "XV-Nulla", I'd be perfectly okay with 9-3 or 8-4, a bowl game, and a monster recruiting class with an absolute TON of momentum headed into next year.

So, VolNation, which team would it take the Vols beating this year for YOU to say "this was a successful season"???
You know what; I'm gonna start with beating Vanderbilt. Gotta get that "monkey" off our back. Then knock off Mizzou.

The question is not a good one. One game does not define a season. Everyone is saying Vanderbilt (which is sad on so many levels), but if we went 9-3 with one of those losses being Vandy, that’s an extremely successful season not matter how you look at it

if we win out on Out of conference and beat Kentucky,Missouri and Vandy I will be happy. of course would luv to beat Florida and SC as well.
Good season and a bowl if we win out end of season.

UF, UGA, Bama would all be major upsets.

You know these three aren’t the answer because there are plenty who’d willingly call this season successful with those 3 Ls

The bubbas all day. If it's one game were talking about. Win that and the rest is irrelevant imo.

Tennessee has to beat Vanderbilt this year, they have to. If they don't Pruitt will lose a portion of the fan base he may never get back. This shouldn't be that high of a bar but getting the football program back is a bigger rebuild than many fans want to admit. I think we are still 3 years (maybe 4 years) away from going into games against teams like Alabama, Georgia and Clemson and knowing we will be competitive. And that is if Pruitt is the guy, which no one knows yet. The landscape of college football, and specifically college football in the SEC, has changed so much since the 1990's that holding the team to the standard of Fulmer's great teams is foolhardy.

Vandy, Kentucky, SC, and one of MSU/Mizzou need to be beat. Anything less and it’s a 6-6 year at best.

Have to walk before we can run. We have to be able to consistently beat those teams again. Beating four (or even all five) would make this season a success

I don't think you can pick one win and say that makes it a successful season. Beating Auburn last year was quite an upset and a great win but it didn't make the year successful.

Reactions: 08Vol
For me, it doesn't boil down to 1 game as UT could beat UF in week 4 and start the season 4-0. Sounds great, right? But what if UT loses to USC, UK, Mizzou, and Vandy?

Look at 2016. UT was on fire after beating UF and UGA....the UT lost 3 in a row before losing to Vandy at the end of the season. Season went from the high of highs to meh.
I'm not thinking that far ahead. I'm taking every game as a stand alone event. However, a win over Florida would be huge.

SUCCESSFUL 2019

There is no one team that marks success. 7-5 is a successful season. If you are expecting 8 wins in Pruitt’s second year following a 4 win season with Fromm, Tag, Bentley, Franks and Bryant as well as Mississippi State’s QB transfer from Penn St. still in the mix, you are expecting a bit much IMO.

I think if we don’t get blown out by Bama, Florida and or Missouri and we beat Georgia State, BYU, Chattanooga, UAB, South Carolina, Mississippi St., Kentucky, and Vanderbilt this year, it was an extremely successful year. Not just kind of. I still think we drop one of those last 4 and go 7-5.

If we come close to beating any of Missouri, Florida, Alabama or Georgia, I am going to say it now that those are NOT games we SHOULD win. Everyone kept saying that when we almost beat Oklahoma, Florida and Bama in Butch’s 3rd year. I can’t believe we played teams as close as we did Butch’s second year after dropping 5 two years in a row. We were playing incredibly well and incredibly well beyond schedule. We gave ourselves a chance to win games we should not have been in and blew those chances. So, let’s not do to Pruitt what we did to Butch. Pruitt is way too good of a guy to do that to.

SUCCESSFUL 2020 & 2021

I think we win anywhere from 8-10 games next year. Depends on if Franks, Fromm and Tag go pro or not. If they all do, and Chandler/JG return , then we win 10 before dropping more losses in 2021 only to be true contender in 2022 which is Pruitt’s 5th year.
These are reasonable expectations for the next few years.

But 7-5 going 3-4 between SC, Miss St., Kentucky and Vandy is a successful year in my book.

This all day. Success is re-establishing dominance in the East. You don't do that without always, always beating these four. Beat them all any given year and we're no worse than .500 in conference, and basically guaranteed to be bowling unless we've gone insane in our non-conference scheduling. Don't beat these four, and there's not much point even discussing whether we're going to hang with 'Bama and Georgia.

These teams better enjoy those wins while they can, CJP is not the type to take his foot off the pedal, he'll make sure they know WE ARE TENNESSEE and the that uncomfortable feeling your having is our boot up your..........

Go Vols!!

In my mind, UT's record should never be less than 9-3 but with reality being what it is, I'd take 7-5 right now with wins over Vandy, Mizzu, and SC.
It's a truly good year when we beat FL.

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back