• Brian Rice

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • Joel Silverburg

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Jimmy Hyams

Votes: 86 25.9%

• Total voters

UTNoFear

Who's the worst talk show host or fill in. Please leave your response. I already know mine but I wanna see where others are at.

Last edited:
Eric Ainge, John Wilkerson , and Eric Cain keeps the station alive. The rest of the talk show hosts are clowns. Just me but we deserve better in Knoxville and the surrounding area. Joel Silverburg if you' call in you deal with a ZERO personality and a blight on the station. Smart kid but a smart A&&. He loses me when he opens his mouth! A tennis players that knows all things football.... <Rolls Eyes>. HARD PASS!

Last edited:
Have to say Jimmy is a close second but comes in at third.His Matt Hayes interview today moved Jimmy up at least 2 spots. Hayes is a tool and Jimmy gave him time? I don't wear orange colored glasses but to listen to him bad mouth UT the way he did, the dump button would have been pushed but then again I'm not a talk show host. Enjoy the poll!

When Will is on, I just change to music. He seems knowledgeable, but his syntax is...challenging to follow.

Not that I could do any better.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Don't know about Knoxville, but here in Nashville I rarely listen to "sports talk" on 104.5, 102.5 or 95.9 because they have SO much time to fill; that results in lots of meaningless jabber & jive. Back in the day when there was 2-3 hours in the afternoon, it was much more interesting. However, I suppose it's advertising $$$ & public demand. Not me.

I have always thought that this is one of the most negative fan base in the country especially on his site and this poll proves it. WNML is one of the best sport talk stations in the country. When I traveled for work which I did for nearly 7 years I listened to sports talk radio all over the country and I can tell you all this station here is one of the best. Even large cities with all four major teams didn’t have as good of programs, hosts or as much knowledge of their teams as the sports animal have. Every time I was gone I couldn’t wait to get back to listen to these guys.

Sometimes I guess you just don’t know how good you have it until you don’t have it anymore.

Eric Ainge, John Wilkerson , and Eric Cain keeps the station alive. The rest of the talk show hosts are clowns. Just me but we deserve better in Knoxville and the surrounding area. Joel Silverburg if you' call in you deal with a ZERO personality and a blight on the station. Smart kid but a smart A&&. He loses me when he opens his mouth! A tennis players that knows all things football.... <Rolls Eyes>. HARD PASS!

Just give it time, Ainge will run that place in the ground just like he did with TSR. State run media sucks, see the text exchange between Ainge/ Currie and Ainge/ Butch

Reactions: SmokyRiverDog
I’ll throw in something else for this topic. While I believe the sports animal is one of the best talk radio in the country, I also have to say it may be one of the toughest places to have a sport talk radio. Most of the programming everyday is abut vol football which I know what most want to talk about but how hard is it for five days a week nearly 12-13 hours to talk vol football. I’ve never understood, men’s basketball gets some talk and more during the season if they are good but still not much. Lady vols when Pat was here didn’t get much talk. They have a great softball program and the baseball program was good and seems to be coming back around. It also the smokies which I know isn’t in Knoxville but they are local. The ice bears are hardly ever mentioned except the day they have the coach on and would mention scores. Then just three hours away there is one of the best NHL teams in the league and they get very little talk, throw in the titans and Grizzlies there would be three pro level sports in our state. Very little of these teams ever get mentioned.

So yes I would imagine the programming directors at sports animal would love to have a variety each day and coming up with different programming because usually the football team just carries one topic in the morning and carries up to 3:00 show.

Reactions: Bret178
For some reason Ainge seems to get the okay vote in Knoxville. When I listen to him I hear someone who likes to hear himself talk. If he's asked to break down a QB play he can do that. Well he should be able to do that!
Forget any other sport.
30 mins / hour into his show and the guy still has nothing of substance. Just rambling along filling airtime.

It's a sad statement When Ainge and Wilkerson are the two highlights of talk radio in Knoxville.
Might as well just go to a syndicated show.

Why just one station and why not "Who is the Best"? And I agree with several posters who note we stack up pretty well against other areas, but if you have never lived elsewhere, I get that you can't have that perspective. Still, push me in a corner and make me pick and I must say Will West, with his smug, know-it-all attitude that grates on me something fierce.

VN Store

Back