Growing up watching UT Football

43 here...was attending Tennessee in 98. Awesome times. It has been tough as I have lived 6 years in crapabama and the past 6 in VT hokie land.
I miss being competitive every week.

1965 Vols won me over.

My first game in Neyland was against Ole Miss in 1968 when they had a soph QB named Manning. Wonder what ever happened to him?

Who? That was a frustrating time; it seemed like we could beat anybody but Ole Miss.

Who? That was a frustrating time; it seemed like we could beat anybody but Ole Miss.

Well, Vols beat them 31-0 that day but we know what happened the following year. I agree thou Ole Miss had a good run during the 60s vs the Vols.

Reactions: AM64
I'm 59 have seen the good and the bad but setting in the the house I grew up in or riding around the back roads every Saturday when I got older and listening to John Ward are memories I will always hold dear. The only time they we ever on TV was once or maybe twice a year in the 70's or a Bowl game around Christmas. Sugar Bowl, Blue Bonnet Bowl and even when they finally started to come back around The Garden State Bowl. Ahh I can still hear him "He twist at the 5, lunges at the 3, drives at the 1 and HE POUNDS IT INTO PAY DIRT ...TOUCHDOWN TENNESSEE !!!!"

Reactions: MAD
Here are the seasons where we were limited when the Vols were on TV. Looks like 1988 was the last year where we didn’t have many options. After that almost every game was on TV.
The 34-3 Georgia Tech game in 1972 was one of my early favorites.

637163BC-7858-4DA5-82D3-8C8A1C4A10FC.pngC5B5FB4A-DC27-417E-B8D9-AB61D4F9C02C.png

Never saw that clip. Same memories here, though was listening from Cocke County with Granddaddy. I think one reason I never was as over the moon as some for John Ward, is that I considered Mooney the gold standard.

I never even like John Ward. Mooney was much better, but his sidekick, Bob Foxx was not too great.

VN Store

Back