NCAA tourney thread (post UT loss)

Even if rules where changed, this doesn't exactly mean that Vanderbilt will be weakened, or that it will strengthen UT. Throwing money around may help to an extent, but it's more then that. Vanderbilt, for better or worse just has a better program across the board then UT baseball wise. Bettee staff, better facilities, better resources, and most importantly, a history of winning, especially in the last decade. This year proved that their 2014 team was not a fluke.

Now there are teams that have won it all before, over a period of time and then faded into obscurity, it's happened before and will happen again in numerous sports. Right now though, even if rule changes happened tomorrow, Vandy baseball is and likely will remain a dominant force in NCAA baseball for the foreseeable future.

I’ll hit on a few of the things posted above.

Vandy doesn’t have 35 full scholarships but what they do have is 35 very large “scholarships” that allow them to not only offer great school, a great track record, a great coaching staff BUT ALSO better scholarship %s for recruits which is huge.

If all schools had similar $ structure Vandy would still be good because of what’s been established. However Corbin never ever ever would have build that program to where it is today without the advantages of the aid. That’s exactly why he didn’t leave got LSU or any of the other big name big $ jobs he could have easily gotten over the years

Vandy was landing #1 recruiting classes, winning the SEC, and was ranked #1 in America BEFORE Opportunity Vanderbilt even existed. Additionally, let’s be real. Tuition at Mississippi State is less than MTSU. A 50% scholarship at State leaves just $3500 to cover; an 80% scholarship at Vandy still leaves $13,000 to cover! What financial advantage is there that would cause a Mike Minor to pick Vandy over State?

Corbin would take Jackson State to an NCAA Regional in three years. He is the best baseball coach in the sport, period.

Reactions: RollerVol
Damn almighty you make stuff up. Let me make this crystal clear and read closely a few times so you can comprehend.

Vandys recruiting works this way. When they identify a recruit they want they put them in two categories, need based aid or 11.7. If the recruits family is “rich” and makes over 200k per year that recruit will be given 11.7 money. If the recruits family makes under 200k they get need based aid. Thus each category gets very high % of “scholarships”. Not all full rides but In most cases 70% or more which is a huge scholarship. Rocker would clearly be in the 11.7 category and able to get huge $ due to their baseball $ going much further than other schools btw

Let me be clear about this AGAIN. Vandy isn’t cheating. I don’t Blame Vandy for doing this. I blame the ncaa for only allowing 11.7. Vandy doesn’t need their situation cut In order to level the playing but the 11.7 needs to be brought up to level it

Now I am sure you will make up some other BS so before posting please read this post over and over again until you make more of a fool of yourself

According to the NCAA rule book, every baseball player that counts on the roster must receive a minimum amount of athletics financial aid, unless he is one of I believe two allowed walk ons. You used to be able to give a handful of elite recruits full rides, and everyone else next to nothing or nothing at all. This led to some state schools stockpiling elite in state players, handing them in state aid, and essentially doubling their roster size. Georgia and LSU both did this liberally and that is the reason the rules changed.

How has Vandy been at a disadvantage in all sports?

Don’t give me the bs about admissions. They can control that.

You are in perhaps the greatest city in America.

You control your facilities. Spend some damn money

Every small, private school in America has a massive disadvantage vs large state schools. It’s simple math. Mississippi State has **** academics, is in a **** state, and yet can dump tens of millions into football—because they have a massive alumni base and many of those alums sit in the state capitol and control the flow of money to the two big state schools.

Vandy cannot “control” academics if it hopes to be one of the top 20 schools in America. You can’t just dump athletes into fake degree tracks and let tutors do their work.

According to the NCAA rule book, every baseball player that counts on the roster must receive a minimum amount of athletics financial aid, unless he is one of I believe two allowed walk ons.

Good lord Man, don’t come on here acting like you know the ncaa rule book and then proving you don’t.

There is no limit to the number of walk ons my man. You can have 35 walk ons and zero players on scholarship if that’s your choice.

Your admission that you didn’t know the rules disqualifies you for understanding how this relates. Here you go now that you know that way more than 2 players are walk ons. It’s very clear that vandy doesn’t carry the allowed by ncaa rule 27 scholarship players. They don’t have to because of the advantage of the need based aid. That’s why their 11.7 goes much further than any other schools in the SEC.

Last edited:
A 50% scholarship at State leaves just $3500 to cover;

Lol. Very very false. You trying to tell me it it only cost 7k to go to miss state?

You are really having a rough night with dumb post that show you really don’t understand wth you are talking about .

Also your reference to Minor and Miss state is more evidence you just don’t get it. Out of state tuition at miss state and most schools is roughly 3x that of instate.

Lol. Very very false. You trying to tell me it it only cost 7k to go to miss state?

You are really having a rough night with dumb post that show you really don’t understand wth you are talking about .

Also your reference to Minor and Miss state is more evidence you just don’t get it. Out of state tuition at miss state and most schools is roughly 3x that of instate.

Tuition and Required Fees (T&RF) - Office of the Controller and Treasurer - Mississippi State University
Per Mississippi States own website, in state full time students pay $4,400 tuition and fees, a $50 capital improvements fee, and a $5 student activities fee. Probably add $1,000 or so for textbooks per semester, unless you can find cheap used books or something, that's less then 6K. That of course may not count food, living arrangements, etc, though even full ride scholarships don't necessarily cover those things.

Tuition and Required Fees (T&RF) - Office of the Controller and Treasurer - Mississippi State University
Per Mississippi States own website, in state full time students pay $4,400 tuition and fees, a $50 capital improvements fee, and a $5 student activities fee. Probably add $1,000 or so for textbooks per semester, unless you can find cheap used books or something, that's less then 6K. That of course may not count food, living arrangements, etc, though even full ride scholarships don't necessarily cover those things.

You guys really are having a really hard time showing knowledge here. That 4400$ is a Semester not for the year lol

Full scholarships cover all cost(tuition-fees-books-room-board) AND cost of attendance for each school.

So the 11.7 uses that big number. A 50% scholarship at miss state is a good scholarship but would leave more than 3500 to pay for a baseball player. If it’s out of state it will leabes a lot to pay.

Last edited:
the thread that keeps on giving...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

It’s sure does

It’s like a number of posters keep trying but keep being made the fool with their lack of knowledge being shown on the subject. I mean the best one is @Mike Rapp thinking only 2 walk ons were allowed. I mean the entire premise of the situation is vandy gets a large number of great highly recruited “walk ons”. I mean good grief coming on here acting like he knows what he’s talking about. Comical

It’s sure does

It’s like a number of posters keep trying but keep being made the fool with their lack of knowledge being shown on the subject. I mean the best one is @Mike Rapp thinking only 2 walk ons were allowed. I mean the entire premise of the situation is vandy gets a large number of great highly recruited “walk ons”. I mean good grief coming on here acting like he knows what he’s talking about. Comical
These Vanderbilt fans get so bent out of shape about this. I don’t think anyone is diminishing Tim Corbin or the program because they have this advantage. They are playing by the rules that the NCAA has created. But anyone who doesn’t think that Vanderbilt has a HUGE advantage doesn’t have a working brain its that simple. You still have to build a program, recruit the right players and develop talent. Corbin can definitely do that he just happens to have an enormous advantage.

Even if rules where changed, this doesn't exactly mean that Vanderbilt will be weakened, or that it will strengthen UT. Throwing money around may help to an extent, but it's more then that. Vanderbilt, for better or worse just has a better program across the board then UT baseball wise. Bettee staff, better facilities, better resources, and most importantly, a history of winning, especially in the last decade. This year proved that their 2014 team was not a fluke.

Now there are teams that have won it all before, over a period of time and then faded into obscurity, it's happened before and will happen again in numerous sports. Right now though, even if rule changes happened tomorrow, Vandy baseball is and likely will remain a dominant force in NCAA baseball for the foreseeable future.
I think Vitello is closing the gap pretty quickly. The way he is recruiting right now UT will be neck and neck with Vandy in 3 years Mark my word.

It’s sure does

Do you have sources to provide this information. I've never been involved with sports outside of simply watching the games, and I'd prefer something more concrete then a wikipedia article.

Do you have sources to provide this information. I've never been involved with sports outside of simply watching the games, and I'd prefer something more concrete then a wikipedia article.

The ncaa rule book is on line for anyone to see. It’s very clear that a program CAN have up to and not exceed 27 scholarship players. CAN have up to 35 players on their in season roster. CAN use up to 11.7 scholarships.

Those CANS are very relevant for those lacking knowledge here

These Vanderbilt fans get so bent out of shape about this. I don’t think anyone is diminishing Tim Corbin or the program because they have this advantage. They are playing by the rules that the NCAA has created. But anyone who doesn’t think that Vanderbilt has a HUGE advantage doesn’t have a working brain its that simple. You still have to build a program, recruit the right players and develop talent. Corbin can definitely do that he just happens to have an enormous advantage.

Well said

What’s so funny?
Vanderbilt just rewrote the record book. They won everything possible and could repeat as National Champions next year.
While Tennessee is improving to get to that level it would take much longer than 3 years. Think of it this way Tennessee had more losses before May than Vanderbilt did the whole season. It would be a monumental turnaround for them to win at that level given how difficult the SEC is.

I think Vitello is closing the gap pretty quickly. The way he is recruiting right now UT will be neck and neck with Vandy in 3 years Mark my word.

I don’t think tenn or any other program will ever to get the level of roster depth Vandy has on a consistent level.

I mean a player that only pitched two innings this year for over 200k today. That only happens with unreal quality depth and I’ll let you guess how that’s acquired

Last edited:
Vanderbilt just rewrote the record book. They won everything possible and could repeat as National Champions next year.
While Tennessee is improving to get to that level it would take much longer than 3 years. Think of it this way Tennessee had more losses before May than Vanderbilt did the whole season. It would be a monumental turnaround for them to win at that level given how difficult the SEC is.
I had said closing the gap. Tennessee is recruiting right with Vandy in the 2021 and 2022 class. When it’s all said and done for the 2019 class with all of Vandys drafted guys it will be pretty damn when everyone reports to campus.

Attachments

• 4B3DDDAE-999C-4311-AD80-F5D71E547290.png
    4B3DDDAE-999C-4311-AD80-F5D71E547290.png
    315.8 KB · Views: 12
if we can maintain our coaching staff and continue to recruit like we're doing...sky's the limit...no, not overnight, but in the short time Coach V and staff have had the controls, it's the best we've been in a long time and we'll just get better...two cents worth...:D

PS. heck, I'm still basking in the glow of this past season...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

VN Store

Back