Butch Jones should have been given another year to turn things around. Change my mind.

Year 4 was his year. Yeah we got beat up during the season. Just had to beat vandy to get to the Sugar Bowl and most likely a 10 win season. Didn't get it done. Dont hate him but no. But on your life. The terrible 5th year was a direct reflection of how the team had lost all confidence in him and the staff.

Reactions: feathersax
I always though Butch didn't deserve the heat he took during 2016 season. Many were calling for his job and putting him on the hot seat before he even had a chance to finish out the year and actually fail. Yes, he didn't get the job done and there were red flags raised about his in-game decision making and stubborn RPO offense, but the fanbase was undoubtley impatient.

I still remember Some were calling for a 10 win season into Butch's last year, in 2017. There was still slight optimism in the air. And while I thought we missed a golden opportunity to finish the 2016 season with a new years bowl by losing to Vandy and South Carolina, it was simply a disappointing end, not worthy of being fired over quite yet.

For me, I think the administration supported Butch, but couldn't defend how poorly that 2017 season played out. At that point it was evident the recruiting success did not translate into developmental success on the field. We had no depth and very little talent across the board and it was becoming harder for Butch to sell recruits. We missed on Tee Higgins and Cade Mays in our own backyard. Hunter Johnson also decomitted and there was no turning things around. Once you know....there is no point in holding on.

If Pruitt couldn't get us to 6 wins with that roster, I have no doubt Butch could have either. Might as well turn the page and begin the rebuild.

Reactions: Rockyjr
Absolutely nothing, and the fact that we have someone like the OP, who with the benefit of hindsight is now advocating he should’ve been given more time here?.....it’s beyomd dumb.

Well Butch did say in year 3 that it takes 6 years to rebuild a program....

Reactions: RollerVol
What, do you also think that the Doolster deserved another chance?
That guy should never have been in the same state unless LA Tech was playing here. Tn panicked when Lane left and should have simply had an interim for a year and pick off the coach of choice. Hamilton, the gift that kept giving.

this is way to funny...nice way to start the Fourth...fireworks galore...change my drawers...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

VN Store

Back