Things I'm mad about today

On hold with the IRS regarding $26k they want in connection with my mother's 2017 return, which they can't talk to me about because they don't have me as an authorized user person on file, for which the instructions are a complete mess.

Edit: hold time 52:47, and my daughter's 20-lb cat tried to hang up on the call (stepped on my phone.) Luckily, dodged that bullet.

Last edited:
On hold with the IRS regarding $26k they want in connection with my mother's 2017 return, which they can't talk to me about because they don't have me as an authorized user person on file, for which the instructions are a complete mess.

Edit: hold time 52:47, and my daughter's 20-lb cat tried to hang up on the call (stepped on my phone.) Luckily, dodged that bullet.

dont pay

I'm not mad, but my wife was! Her debit card is the one we use for Redbox, and I took it earlier but never gave it back. She then went to Wal-Mart and got to the checkout, but couldn't pay😄. I had to take it to her, then she made me set my card up😂.

Reactions: malinoisvol
I'm not mad, but my wife was! Her debit card is the one we use for Redbox, and I took it earlier but never gave it back. She then went to Wal-Mart and got to the checkout, but couldn't pay😄. I had to take it to her, then she made me set my card up😂.
Been there done that but it’s always some family member having my card when I go to check out somewhere. 😡

I won't!

I know what the error is; just need to know what to amend or send in; but they won't talk to me until they get bits and pieces of faxed documentation. I faxed the first batch in two weeks ago, and it shows as "Correspondence Received," but no one has bothered to look at it yet. I got an extension to June 29 (before they send the official nastygram escalating to the next level, which I don't want to do), but it's a bit perplexing how I'm supposed to do anything when they can't talk to me and won't read what I send. Sheesh.

I won't!

I know what the error is; just need to know what to amend or send in; but they won't talk to me until they get bits and pieces of faxed documentation. I faxed the first batch in two weeks ago, and it shows as "Correspondence Received," but no one has bothered to look at it yet. I got an extension to June 29 (before they send the official nastygram escalating to the next level, which I don't want to do), but it's a bit perplexing how I'm supposed to do anything when they can't talk to me and won't read what I send. Sheesh.
I guess an attorney could fax them a letter for a small fee

I won't!

And to think there are people in this country that want the government to have more control. Mine and your situation is examples of why they shouldn’t.

I guess an attorney could fax them a letter for a small fee
Right, but I shouldn't have to do that. And I was on hold for an hour and ten minutes before they picked up.

And everything has to be faxed - no email - and no, I don't have a separate fax machine, so I couldn't fax it in while on the phone with the help person. But she did give me her fax number and promised that she'd call me once I waded through everything.

Call #1: "There's some form or another; I can't find the form number; but you don't need that now. Just fax in the Power of Attorney form and a couple of other things; that's all we need."

Call #2: "You have to fill out and fax in IRS Form 2848. Whatever you sent in before is useless. We must have Form 2848. Why didn't you send it in?" (see call #1)

So I start filling out Form 2848, get all the way for the signature instructions, and find something that says that I have to follow the guidelines of 26 CPR601.503(d). Grrr. Google that, pull that up, and I seem to need to fill out IRS Form 8821. So I wade through that while on hold, because I'm pretty sure that this won't be right...

Call #3: "No, what you need to fill out is IRS Form 56. The others are for corporations." (The forms very clearly say that they are for use by individuals as well as by corporations.) So I will fax her all three forms, the POA form, the certificate of incapacity, and a few more random odds and ends, including the error I found that set the whole thing off. She will wade through it and call me.

Sorry; way tl;dr. Had to vent!
realmad.gif
There's no excuse to not have very clear guidance to (and one form for) family members who have had to take over a relative's financial affairs. I mean, it happens a couple of zillion times a day.

I like cats. It just depends on their personality. I mean, they all believe know they're the center of the universe, but not all are mean about it.
fyp

My cat's great. She has the personality of my beloved departed golden retriever. She's getting old though. Won't have her a lot longer.

Reactions: Tin Man
Right, but I shouldn't have to do that. And I was on hold for an hour and ten minutes before they picked up.

And everything has to be faxed - no email - and no, I don't have a separate fax machine, so I couldn't fax it in while on the phone with the help person. But she did give me her fax number and promised that she'd call me once I waded through everything.

Call #1: "There's some form or another; I can't find the form number; but you don't need that now. Just fax in the Power of Attorney form and a couple of other things; that's all we need."

Call #2: "You have to fill out and fax in IRS Form 2848. Whatever you sent in before is useless. We must have Form 2848. Why didn't you send it in?" (see call #1)

So I start filling out Form 2848, get all the way for the signature instructions, and find something that says that I have to follow the guidelines of 26 CPR601.503(d). Grrr. Google that, pull that up, and I seem to need to fill out IRS Form 8821. So I wade through that while on hold, because I'm pretty sure that this won't be right...

Call #3: "No, what you need to fill out is IRS Form 56. The others are for corporations." (The forms very clearly say that they are for use by individuals as well as by corporations.) So I will fax her all three forms, the POA form, the certificate of incapacity, and a few more random odds and ends, including the error I found that set the whole thing off. She will wade through it and call me.

Sorry; way tl;dr. Had to vent!
realmad.gif
There's no excuse to not have very clear guidance to (and one form for) family members who have had to take over a relative's financial affairs. I mean, it happens a couple of zillion times a day.
Sign up for efax service. Webpage that you login and use like a fax. Works great. Some are free others are pretty cheap.

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back